Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Thread: ruler organizing

Blog Entries
    I like this idea of the hanging file ... have specialty rulers that need a home that would be easy to find.. Thanks for sharing..
    Quote Originally Posted by ldh17 View Post
    This may sound "anal", but I hang the rulers that I use ALL of the time on the wall by my cutting table.
    For rulers that I rarely use? I use hanging files with a tab for what EACH ruler is (I do group square rulers, 60 degree rulers, etc)...but everything else is in its own file....I keep these in one of those smaller, portable see thru plastic files with a cover...and sit it on a shelf in my closet...easy to grab the whole thing and find the ruler I want...it works for me Some larger specialty rulers still need to be hung up.

sorry, did not read all the responses (but I will definitely have to later because I have the same problem). My temporary solution has been to suction cup hook them to my window which is right next to my sewing area. It's an old house, so the windows come low enough to easily get at them while sitting.
    Naomi, Wife to Wayne
    Mom to Sydney (8.07), heaven baby Corey (8.08), Elijah (8.09), Kezia (8.11)

An over the door towel bar was my choice.

My solution to rulers & other cutting templates was to use an over the door towel bar on the inside of a closet door. I purchased metal rings to put through the hole in the cutting template and then put them on one of the rungs of the towel bar, arranging them by type. I also punched a hole in the directions/patterns that came with the template and kept these with the template.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Linda
    Finishing 1 UFO at a time

the walls of my quilting room are cream painted tongue and groove pine boards. I have arranged all of my rulers on screw-in hooks (cup hooks) in a pleasing design on my wall. They are always neat and tidy and just where I can find them!

My son made a ruler rack for me. He just cut slots the width of the board so the rulers slide in and stand up. It's great for also holding patterns and other things like a vertical file. It sits on top of a dresser in my sewing room.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by BellaBoo View Post
    I painted long nails pretty colors and nailed them in the wall. I have too many to use racks. At last count I had over 50. My rulers are on display and out of my way. The nails work great for rulers.
    Suggestion: If a person doesn't want a TON of nail holes in the walls for ALL the rulers they have, one could take a piece of lumber (1x4, 1x6 by whatever length will fit) and put it up on the wall with a few nails into the studs and then hammer away with all the nails to hold the rulers.

Of course, everything or nothing can be painted or stained.
    https://napquilting.com/
    https://www.facebook.com/NAPQuilting/

My GOAL is to ALWAYS ENJOY EVERY STEP of the quilting process....

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Pam1111 View Post
    He charges $39.95 plus shipping. If you go his web site you can see all the finishes he offers. His work is quality.

www.clydes-workshop.com
    Pam thank-you for providing the information, I will be placing a order.
    Dee Lowe
    Las Vegas Nv.

Blog Entries

Organizing rulers & misc.

The rulers I use most often sit on top of the cutting table, the rest of the rulers, templates and misc supplies are stored in the fabric organizer I made and attached to the side of my cutting table.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by craftiladi; 03-03-2012 at 06:04 AM. Reason: typos
    Dee Lowe
    Las Vegas Nv.

Quote Originally Posted by Nantie View Post
    i agree with you, the price seems very reasonable as well
    I have seen these being sold on Ebay as well -

I was thinking of mounting one of those folder holders from Office Depot

Had the same problem. Recently, Kaye England was in town with her bag of tricks (she left the llamas home this time). She recommended a set of rulers....I thought, oh wonderful, but I have rulers from every brand and configuration out there, I don't need to spend money on rulers. I want to spend on my stash.........Whoa.....I purchased the set, reminds me there are three new rulers coming out now. This does not answer your question, later, they are "Nifty Notions" and believe me, have improved my accuracy, and thus my joy in quilting by 100% and improving each day. Now for your organization question. I have a solid white birch island, I designed back in the late 60's for baking, and now it graces by studio. I added cup hooks just under the countertop lip and now hang my "Nifty Notions" on three sides of my cutting island. Nice and neat, handy, and from across the room, I am reminded of a wonderful day spent with Kaye and some new friends. Blessings to all this day.
    Marlena

Quote Originally Posted by JeanChev View Post
    At an OFFICE SUPPLY STORE, get a desk top file holder. It is a rack with slots keeping numerous files standing up and can hold numerous rulers of different sizes. I use two of them in my sewing room I can easily see what I have and tahey take up less room with none getting lost in the mix.
    And these are relatively inexpensive! Check out the resale shops for these and also, wooden knife holders
    that are designed to go into a drawer. I re-purposed mine to hold my rulers and templates.

Sandy
    Sandygirl

Janome 9900 / Janome 9700 / Janome Decor 3050 / Janome 1100D serger
    Singer Centennial model (inherited from my late, fav aunt!)

Blog Entries
    I purchased a small plastic storage chest with wheel on the bottom. The top 2 drawers are shallow and the other drawers are deeper. I keep all my rulers that will fit in the top drawer. The next drawer holds my rotary cutters their add ons. The next drawers hold the fabrics and extras for my current project. The top of the chests doubles as a cutting mat rest. The whole unit can be rolled out of the way and under my sewing table (which is an old dining room table). My larger rulers are kept in a ruler storage rack on the side of my cutting area. The smallest rulers, that are always getting lost, are kept beside the ruler rack in a plastic ziploc storage bowl. I keep the lid with it because when I have to move them, the lid keeps them all together and other things out. My 1x6 and 1x12 olfa rulers are kept right with my sewing machine in a notions holder that a friend made for me out of a coffee can base and fabric pocket covering. I also put all my ruler and notion instructions together in a plastic storage box, otherwise they are always lost as well. I know it sounds like alot of areas, but I know exactly where to look for each item. It just makes since with the way that I use my space. Which is the best tip, is to think about how you really use your space, and put things in away that works for your way of quilting.

Blog Entries
    Afew yrs ago,I repurposed a bread slice cutter board for my rulers,till I bought something else.The bread board still "rules".Bought it when using my bread machine & needed a place to cut slices.The machine was eventually given away.The slots hold all but my longest couple rulers.They stay in a back of the door holder.Have seen the cutting boards in 2nd hand stores.Snap them up...cheap storage & they are out there to grab when needed.
    Pat

Her price is very reasonable and it is nice!

However, in the meantime, I found a pot lid rack (it is white plastic covered metal wire) you put your pots and pans lids in it. Anyway I got it at the Good Will for ten cents. I put it on my table and the rulers fit nice and neat in it!
    Carrie, Queen of the Seam Rippers!

Blog Entries
    Whatever works. Your pot lid organizer reminded me of a quilter on another board who used a couple dish drainers to hold her rulers....
    Pat

gus
    Blog Entries
    Check garage sale for the old record storing racks they work also
    Gus Olson

Blog Entries
    The letter sorter in office stores is a great way to organize them.

Well if you have the wall space I have all my rulers on my wall on small brass nails, they look great! I can see them and find the one I want in a flash!! and If I get a new one I just rearrange to fit!! AND brass nails are Very Cheap!!

I have two pegboards on my wall. One for rulers and one for various other stuff. Works great and always at my fingertips.

Banned
    I have way too many rulers and use 3 different means to keep them visible.
    1. peg board 2. slotted wooden holder, a belt hanger (it's a circle on which I hang long rulers)

my dh saw the picture online of the rack with the cup hooks and made me a larger version. It doesn't have the drop down door, but I don't need it. I just needed more slots for rulers.
    I'd post a pic, but I'm at my dd's.
    When I get it on the wall, I'll take a picture
    p.s. anybody's hubby that has access to two boards, a router, small nails and two wooden brace thingies from hardware store can make one like mine. (of course to me, mine is a treasure! )
    I painted it and will add cup hooks and load 'er up!
    It is a blessing, to be a blessing !
    ~Quilters are warm people!!!~
    cheese brings parties together

http://tickers.TickerFactory.com/ezt...HJV/weight.png

this is exactly what I do, out of the way and you don't see it, unless you need it.

Quote Originally Posted by quilter309 View Post
    Pegboard behind the entry door into the sewing room. Holds LOTS or rulers and a bag with my stencils.

I saw the picture, and had my DH make me one. Luckily he can make nearly anything is I show him a picture

I ordered one of these for my rulers and I just love it. It hold almost all of my rulers and in the drawer are my bobbins and other tools. I am planning on buying another one when I move my sewing center from my bedroom corner to the family room.

I have two wooden racks with ridges cut in them to hold a lot of my rulers. Some are small and are on a belt holder, large metal circle that they can hang on, and the really large ones are stacked below my cutting table. Works for me, no right or wrong way. Whatever works for you.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 ... LastLast