Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Scraps, ugh!!

What works the best for me is to have a pattern or two that I can use as a srappy quilt. The scraps that are daily accumulating can be cut in sizes that will eventually go into those particular patterns. When I feel there are enough scraps that are cut I can then sort by value and color and place pieces together that can be leader/enders or just a quick sew when the mood strikes. Eventually the small scraps become a project on its own and a quilt. It's all spent in small increments of time. This has kept scraps from taking over or just storing them and not using them.
    SEW MUCH FUN!

You have to decide if you will ever use them. If not they should go. I am not a scrappy quilt person so anything less than a fat quarter goes.

Over time I have discovered the sizes of scraps that I use most frequently. So I cut all my random scraps in 2.5 strips, 5 in squares and 10 in squares. For me, anything less than 2.5 goes into my bag to be used for dog beds for ASPCA. I do not try to tackle the whole pile of scraps all at one sitting, but from time to time I will press and cut for an afternoon and put the pieces in labled clear shoebox sized bins. I love diving in and pulling out color ways or just creating a purely scrappy quilt from my little pieces.

If you know what size you lean toward, cut your scraps in that size. It saves you time and is satisfying to use later on.

Welcome to the board! I've come to a place where I think I've got a handle on it! That could, of course, change at any moment. I started with Bonnie Hunter's way of dealing with scraps. I've moved to Gudrun Erla's way of cutting up scraps, which I like. Then, I make it a point to shop my stash first. Also, donate, donate, donate. Our P.E.O. garage sale has fabric for sale to bless others. The proceeds go to programs to help women with educational needs. We'll see what tomorrow brings!
    Last edited by QuiltnNan; 06-18-2019 at 07:24 AM. Reason: shouting/all caps

As you see, everyone has their own ideas about scraps.

When you get around to making something with them, here is a great collection of free patterns for scrap quilts:

https://www.quiltedtwins.com/free-patterns-layout-2 (scroll down a bit)

If your scraps are not yet cut into usable size pieces, it helps to have a pattern in mind before you cut.
    http://www.etsy.com/shop/sewbizgirl
    Boom 20 Album of Blocks I made to swap https://www.quiltingboard.com/member...bums19942.html
    "The reward of a thing well done is having done it." -- Ralph Waldo Emerson

Quote Originally Posted by ScubaK View Post
    I can second Bonnie Hunter., Quiltville for her specialized scrap system. She makes sense out of scraps.
    Kirstne
    I agree - Bonnie Hunter has a good system, which I am trying to do myself.

I'm not a scrap saver. They do nothing but frustrate me. I donate them.
    I may have a few from my most recent project but that's it.

Blog Entries
    I donate my scraps also, knowing I will never use them.

I sort my scraps by color. I have some that I cut into sizes that I use frequently and others that are uncut. I was using Joan Ford's system, cutting everything smaller than a 10" square into those sizes and then storing the rest separately, but I recently revamped that and everything smaller than a fat quarter is stored by color in shallow drawer units. I fit several stacks of 2" squares, 3.5" squares, 5" squares and then lay larger scraps on top in each drawer. I also keep the following:1. some smaller pieces to use in crumb blocks- those go in a shoebox and get used when I want to do some mindless sewing or if the shoebox gets too full. 2. tiny pieces and strings that are too narrow even for string quilts- get thrown in a drawer and used for thready/scrappy scarves (sandwich the little pieces between two pieces of water-soluble stabilizer and then FMQ until everything is well secured. 3. selvages- been meaning to make a selvage project, but so far I've only used these as ties for the ends of the storage bags I make for my quilts.

Rob
    1955 Singer Featherweight 221/ Late 60's early 70's White Selectronic 970/
    1975 Kenmore 158 model 1914/. 1981 Brother VX560/ Brother PC420PRW/
    Brother PQ1500s/ HQSweetSixteen

Currently working on my third scrap quilt this year. I slowly started using my scraps only in the past few years. I struggled to do scrappy quilts as I felt overwhelmed. Reminding myself to only worry about what fabrics are next to each other have been very freeing for me.

In fact I really have been enjoying them. Each quilt is a personal story. I remember where the scraps had come from - successes and failures. It's like a road map of my quilts.

Since I haven't been using my scraps until recently, I am still in the process of finding a system I like. Currently I have clear plastic containers of crumbs, string fabric, strip fabrics 1 1/2" to 3" and a box of larger pieces. Anything about the size of fat quarter goes in containers for that and I have a container for less than a yard to over a FQ size. It seems to work for me for now.
    Erin

Blog Entries
    Welcome to the QB. Youve certainly come to the right place for suggestions, ideas and experienced quilters.

I have a relatively small stash so I currently have 4 small bins...1. Crumbs 2. Strings 3. Larger scraps (smaller than a FQ fat quarter) and 4. Batiks
    attitude is everything...the rest will fall into place.

Blog Entries
    Hello , long time member who hasn't posted in a very long time-but I realized along time ago I am not a scrap quilter, I do have smaller pieces that are less then a fat quarter but every thing else gets donated to someone who can use them. It took me a while to figure what type of quilts I tend to lean towards but once I did it was freeing to purge and donate, plus that made room to buy more fabric lol
    Dee Lowe
    Las Vegas Nv.

They are sorted into plastic see through bins either by color or style. When I need them I pull out the ones I think I will use and I iron and cut them. I do not want to spend my time ironing and cutting into scraps I might never use or feel like using.
    Anna Quilts

Blog Entries
    I made Scrapy flimsies:

2017:
    jacob's ladder
    chisel stripe
    wonky log cabin
    6" crumb quilt

2018:

Bonnie Hunter's Carolina Chain, 120 blocks, 122 different fabrics
    12" crumb (made fabric) quilt
    Birch Branches (Use up pinks/yellows/& a navy)
    Plus quilt

Welcome to the Board, Cyclista87
    I've enjoyed reading about everyone's systems. I am just finishing my second crumb quilt. One group of ladies that I quilt with in Arizona saved me their scraps for 6 months til I returned. Now that I have made a throw with those scraps I have sorted the leftovers and saved some that are colours I like or think I need for another project. The rest are being passed on to a family of 3 that all quilt/sew (Mother, boy, girl). I sort mine by colour or by pending project. I am gathering fabric for several patterns. I like to use the zippered bags that originally contained bedding and linens. I iron once (hopefully). While sewing, I usually line up my fabrics on a large bakers sheets (18" x 26"). Even tho they are in bags, my scraps are all neatly laid flat and the bags all laying flat in the cupboard. I don't precut as then I wouldn't be able to make scrap quilts - I think they are fun, and more of a challenge to get that inside corner filled.

Blog Entries
    I'm a scrap quilter and Bonnie Hunter is a good one to follow. If you are on Facebook there is one group called Scrap Quilt Enthusiasts, which has some great looking quilts in the photo's.
    Last edited by QuiltnNan; 07-06-2019 at 04:00 PM. Reason: shouting/all caps
    Jackie
    Lover of Scrappy, Chocolate and Wine

I don’t have one way of dealing with scraps. I tend to use a lot of different fabrics in my quilts. I am planning on starting a string quilt with scraps and maybe some other scrappy quilts and start cutting through yardage.

I came here for inspiration. I have a lot of batiks and like to add them to scrappy quilts.

Lightbulb Secret sauce for cutting scraps into squares

I was awash in quilting fabric scraps until I read Joan Ford's book "Cut the Scraps". One weekend while watching TV I started in pressing them all and cutting them into Joan's prescribed squares: 2", 3.5" and 5". (If I have cement length scraps I keep them on a pants hanger and use them for preemie pad borders.) My pile of scraps dwindled rapidly and I now have three clear plastic shoe boxes I can dip into. The beauty of these specific sizes is this: They all go together making 4.5" blocks. Try it in your head or on paper... nine 2" squares make a 5" block. A 3.5" plus five 2" squares make another. These fit perfectly next to a 5" square.

I've made entire quilts from these squares. It's fun to start with a kiddie panel then select colors from the panel to make a pieced border. I can add squares with little faces and animals so it becomes something of an I-spy border. If you can develop the discipline to cut your scraps at the end of each project there will be no more bags and boxes of scraps. And no more scrap guilt!
    Attached Images Attached Images

Blog Entries
    Unsewing, sounds like a great plan
    Nancy in western NY
    before you speak T.H.I.N.K.
    T is it True? H is it Helpful? I is it Inspiring? N is it Necessary? K is it Kind?

Life may not be the party we hoped for, but while we are here we might as well dance.

Blog Entries

Just redid mine

Quote Originally Posted by Cyclista87 View Post
    So I used to sew and quilt several years ago, and obviously, at that point, I accumulated scraps. So Im taking inventory of what I have now, and I pulled out my old scrap bag, and everything is a mess! I just thre pieces in there, and now theyre wrinkled and messy. Im just curious as to how everyone handles their scraps. Do you throw them in a bag and deal with it when you need them? Do you fold them neatly and store them in a box??

Im so excited to get back into quilting (I made it to maybe competent beginner on hand sewing last time, my biggest piece was a nine block sampler Im about seventy five percent done with), and I cant wait to keep learning and mastering these skills thanks for your help!!
    I bought two of the heavy duty plastic dressers from Walmart, and went thru my scraps. I ironed big scraps and put them in drawers by color. Now to do something with them, that is the challenge/

Quote Originally Posted by Unsewing View Post
    I was awash in quilting fabric scraps until I read Joan Ford's book "Cut the Scraps".
    Thanks for mentioning this book. I have it, and will pull it out and set it next to my TV chair to read tonight. Can you show us some quilts you have made using these sizes?

Blog Entries
    I did one with 2.5", 3.5", 6.5" sizes. I made 9-patches of 2.5" and 4-patches with 3.5" to match up with the 6.5" squares. You could also do 16-patches with the 2" or 36-patches of 1.5" to equal the size.
    Courtesy is not optional.

http://theeclecticabuela.blogspot.com/

Unsewing & AngeliaNR: I also would like to see pictures. I am wondering if they end up looking something like a disappearing 9 patch? If no pictures tell us did you do random colours or controlled?

What are cement length scraps?

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Kelsie View Post
    Unsewing & AngeliaNR: I also would like to see pictures. I am wondering if they end up looking something like a disappearing 9 patch? If no pictures tell us did you do random colours or controlled?

What are cement length scraps?
    The last ones I did were random flannel scraps--here are some of them:

https://www.quiltingboard.com/blogs/...ts-b13607.html
    https://www.quiltingboard.com/blogs/...ts-b13606.html
    https://www.quiltingboard.com/blogs/...on-b13541.html
    https://www.quiltingboard.com/blogs/...ts-b13520.html
    Courtesy is not optional.

http://theeclecticabuela.blogspot.com/

Blog Entries
    first of all welcome back! I am not the neatest with my scraps though I use tons of scrap for scrappy quilts. I have no clue how I have come to have so many.
    larger pieces I do my best to fold. Smaller pieces get put as is into my scrap bins. When one gets full I start another. When I am ready to start a scrappy project I dig in and pull pieces randomly so I have a completely scrappy look. For smaller pieces it does require that I do some pressing before I can cut into them but I am able to maintain the scrappy look I want in the project.
    As others have mentioned there are many ways to sort or store your scraps so dig in and have some fun.
    I even go through and cut square or strips to find them with ease for other projects. I also save anything larger the 1-1/2". You Just never never know.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast