Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst ... 2 3

Thread: Scraps, ugh!!

Fun new video called 'Scrap Management...Can it Be Done?'

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5NQxiF-Mg7c

I know what you mean about scraps accumulating. I am trying to get a handle on mine now that I was gifted an
    Accuquilt cutter and I'll swear they must breed overnight. I try to cut the biggest block I can from the fabric and then work down from there and put them in plastic shoe boxes according to size. Will deal with color separation later.
    When I get down to pieces to small to cut a block from (I go down to 1 1/2 in) I either build fabric from them by sewing all the pieces together in random order and then cut a square or whatever I want from that. the pieces that are too little to even do that with I put in a pillowcase to make a dog bed for the pet shelter, so basically I don't throw anything away (probably should). I use a lot of the scrap blocks and pieces for our small quilt guild who makes quilts for people who have lost their homes and possessions to fires. We are strapped for funds as our ladies are elderly and on limited incomes, so we have to make everything count. Sometimes the scraps come in handy to use with items people have sent to us and that helps as well as to getting a top completed. I find the plastic shoe boxes from Walmart for 97 cents work the best for me. You may have to experiment to see which solution you like the best for you.

For those of you have end up with tiny pieces after you have cut your scraps down into "manageable" pieces, remember your friendly, neighbourhood collage quilter. We use those tiny pieces all the time and there may be someone in your guild or that you know who would love to have them.

Watson

I quilt for Quilts for Kids. As I finish each one it goes out the door. So I don't have a number of these scrap quilts to show you... except this one I photographed. I just read my original post. "cement" is a typo. No cement was used in the production of my quilts! No idea where that came from.

Also to QuiltnNan: I grew up in Orchard Park NY. Where are you?

Here it is:
    Attached Images Attached Images

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst ... 2 3