Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: storage for stencils

Red face storage for stencils

How do you store your stencils? I have great storage for everything else but the stencils come in so many different sizes, shapes and themes. They also get "tangled" together easily. I only have a few stencils but plan to invest in more. My "freehand" quilting barely rivals the scribbling of a three year old.

Blog Entries
    i like the idea of hanging them on pants hangers in the closet
    Nancy in western NY
    before you speak T.H.I.N.K.
    T is it True? H is it Helpful? I is it Inspiring? N is it Necessary? K is it Kind?

Power Poster
    I store my quilting stencils (flexible plastic ones) on my peg board. I just hang them on the board through the hanging holes. Some people like to use a metal shower hook through the holes and hang them on the closet pole.

I hang mine on a hook on the peg board but first I take one of those little plastic thingey's that keep the bread wrapper closed and I staple it to the top edge of each stencil, then when I want a certain stencil I can just slip it off the hook and don't have to remove all the stencils hanging in front of the one I need.

Blog Entries
    go ahead, laugh at me, I thought this was asking how to store PENCILS and wondered what was wrong with the age old method of sticking them in a coffee cup!!!!! speaking of coffee - guess I need some more!

Blog Entries
    I group mine by size/shape, then put a round notebook ring through them, and then hang on a Command strip hook placed on the side wall of my closet. I have 3 groups and it makes it easy to find the one I want: long and wide for borders, medium length and narrow for inner borders, and square for blocks.
    Create with joy in your heart!

Quote Originally Posted by masufa View Post
    I hang mine on a hook on the peg board but first I take one of those little plastic thingey's that keep the bread wrapper closed and I staple it to the top edge of each stencil, then when I want a certain stencil I can just slip it off the hook and don't have to remove all the stencils hanging in front of the one I need.
    I kind of do the same thing, love it. I use the big ones from plastic garbage bags that I do not use and they are bigger and u have more room.
    http://signatures.mylivesignature.co...C68D6DB95A.png
    Quilting With A Friend Will Keep You In Stitches

T.
    LOL, exactly what I thought too. I need tea.

Quote Originally Posted by paulswalia View Post
    go ahead, laugh at me, I thought this was asking how to store PENCILS and wondered what was wrong with the age old method of sticking them in a coffee cup!!!!! speaking of coffee - guess I need some more!

i bought one of those hangers type things from Joanns it is a round metal hoop with a hanger type thing on the top , i have 3 one for rulers,one for mats, and the other for stencils they hang on the back of my door

I'm using one of the smaller metal hinged Command Strip hooks attached to the wall. I also use them to hang my rulers.
    Last edited by caspharm; 03-11-2012 at 10:19 AM. Reason: clarification

I, too, hang mine on the pegboard, but what a fantastic idea to attach the clip from the plastic bag closure things. I will be doing that to mine too now. Thanks for making my life a little easier! Hugs and smiles.......
    Linda Wedge White

I believe UFOs are like scraps, ferns and dust bunnies. Once you get two, they send spores out into the air and more just happen anywhere the spores meet.

I didn't laugh but did snicker a little.

Blog Entries
    I have dresser & I have boxes for different sizes. I also have a open shelf under some drawers I put some of the larger ones.

Blog Entries
    I hang them on a shower curtain clip then put that on my peg board...they are easy to flip and take out!

Quote Originally Posted by masufa View Post
    What a good idea. Members here are so resourceful.
    Dance like no one is watching

Here's how I store mine...
    Attached Images Attached Images

Blog Entries
    I store them behind pictures that are on our walls. The picture frames keep them flat.
    Lucky Gemini

Quote Originally Posted by LuckyGemini View Post
    I store them behind pictures that are on our walls. The picture frames keep them flat.
    Great idea -- can you imagine what a burgler looking for a safe would think?

I have put some in page protectors before. At the present time they are tangled in a drawer... gotta do something about that!

The previous owner had cup hooks in the beam in our sewing room so I hang them from there. Have to watch though...the cat likes to get at them. I have to keep my project boxes away from the hanging stencils so he can't get on the boxes.

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Barbpr View Post
    I hang them on a shower curtain clip then put that on my peg board...they are easy to flip and take out!
    this is still MY favorite way to store them too! Tried most of the gadgets sold for this purpose and they all fail when you want the stencil in the middle of the pack! I have not only quilting stencils, but stencils for painting, inking, etc, so I have TONS of stencils!

I Know!

I just have to tell you, I read that title at least 3 times before I saw that it wasn't storing Pencils! What tricks our brains can play on us Perhaps this explains why I can read my cutting instructions so carefully and then cut wrong! My last one said "place fabric wrong side down" and I carefully cut it wrong side up!

really good suggestions.
    Pat
    Patsy

Oh, my thanks for the chuckle. I misread all the time.

Thanks for all the suggestions. I am still contemplating my options but there are some great ideas here...

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast