Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Pictures > Mission: Organization
Storing fat quarters >

Storing fat quarters

Storing fat quarters

Old 04-30-2023, 04:41 PM

Originally Posted by ibex94 View Post
EmiliasNana -- that sewing spot is too clean. Where are your scrap heaps? I think Emilia is in need of her Nana to put her sewing room to use! Actually, I wish I was this neat after picking up from projects. This is beautiful!!
LOL ibex! I agree! It's WAY too neat. I doubt my sewing area has looked that neat since I set it up 20+ years ago. It does look a bit neat when I'm doing FMQ because I have to move things out of the way so they don't get knocked over.
Old 04-30-2023, 05:55 PM

I guess I'd call myself a fabric collector so I have hundreds of fat quarters. I store all the batiks by color in photo boxes in my fabric closet. My holiday, and "themed" (kitchen, kids, loons, sports) fqs are folded to 3x5" in a large Rubbermaid under bed storage box on a shelf in the closet. The rest of them are ironed, sorted by color palette, and stored flat in a stack on top of a dresser used for storage in the closet. I have some coordinated bundles that haven't been opened so they will stay together as a set until they have been used for a project and then the balance will either go with my scraps or into the ironed stack if they haven't been cut. This system works for me and allows me to easily find a specific print or color when I want it. When I work, my mind is as clear or as cluttered as the room I am in. My sewing room is rather small, so if everything is organized and in its proper place, I work better, faster and more acccurately.
Old 04-30-2023, 06:57 PM
Power Poster

Smile

Originally Posted by Fabricgator View Post
My husband put shelving into the closet in my sewing room, so I am now able to organize. How do you organize your fat quarters? I spent this afternoon refolding the fat quarters. I then grouped them by color. What do you do with yours? Do you put Christmas/Halloween/Novelty fabrics in with "colors" or would it be easier to put those fabrics separately? Thanks!

Most of mine are organized by theme, Holidays, batiks, 1930s, Civil War. If they don't fit they are organized by colors.
Old 04-30-2023, 07:49 PM

I am a Fat Quarter fanatic, and have hundreds. I store them, on end, in see through totes. Each tote holds two rows. They are stored by graduated color, I currently have 4 full totes, and once they get to the point of over-flowing, I get another tote, and re-arrange. Usually, because I used them a lot, I just have to shift a few now and then. Weirdly, I don't have any seasonal FQ's, nor do I have any FQ bundles, or fabric groups.
Old 05-01-2023, 03:12 PM
Power Poster

I keep mine in a large basket with handle. Easy move to table to rummage through. I do separate Christmas and Halloween in their own basket.
Old 12-17-2023, 08:41 AM

Hello there! I love your mailbox shelf. Would you mind sharing the size of the cubbies. That would be such a huge help with setting up my sewing room. I'd sure appany advice and wisdom that any would like to share. Thank you so much
Old 12-17-2023, 12:24 PM

Originally Posted by AutumnsProud mom View Post
Hello there! I love your mailbox shelf. Would you mind sharing the size of the cubbies. That would be such a huge help with setting up my sewing room. I'd sure appany advice and wisdom that any would like to share. Thank you so much
While no longer available, the dimensions are at https://www.potterybarn.com/products...oMerchRules-_-
  • Overall: 29" w x 5" d x 31" h
  • Cubby (25): 5" w x 4.5" d x 5" h
  • Top Shelf: 28" w x 4.5" d
  • Weight Capacity: 75 lbs
  • Weight: 16.5 lbs
Old 12-18-2023, 03:49 AM

I think storing your fat quarters the way you use them is a thought to consider. If you use the novelty prints just in their own quilts, store them that way. You won't have to search through all your colors to fine the baby prints or the holiday prints or whatever you have on hand. I am not a FQ person but that is how I store my yardage. First by color and then the special cuts: Christmas, baby, Americana and neutrals. Works for me but try one way that you think will work for you. Doesn't work? Then rearrange.
Old 12-21-2023, 03:55 AM

I have been getting them all out of the plastic totes, baskets and wrapping them on comic boards and putting them up on a shelf in my sewing room. Best decision ever...it motivates me, so easy to find what I need and great visual for projects. Much more organized and saves space, less cluttered. I am so over using baskets and plastic boxes. They take up way to much valuable space and also I forget what I already have. I do wish I had bought more yardage vs fat qtrs.

Last edited by carolaug; 12-21-2023 at 03:58 AM.
Old 04-14-2024, 01:30 AM

My husband built this for me, isn't he wonderful? It is modeled after the letter organizers you used to see in the school office, the place where teachers would gather their mail. Only turned on end instead of the usual way. I have it in the corner of my longarm quilting studio. On the wall to the left is a tattered and worn quilt made for me by my great grandmother when I was born. My mom used it for all 4 of us kids.

Last edited by Christine-; 04-14-2024 at 01:36 AM.