Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Storing Scraps?

For scraps, I keep 2.5, 2, 1.5 squares and smaller pieces for mini log cabins. I only keep my batik scraps and if I have any print collections left, I put them on the free table at Guild. I keep them in 2 gallon zip log bags lined up in a laundry basket. When I feel like I need a second bag of a size, it's time to make something. Recently, I have been making scrappy placemats. Everyone seems to want placemats.

I like to fill big baggies with odd scraps and give to my little neighbors for collage. I've taught some to use Mod Podge.
    Sweet fun!
    Dotty in NYC

My sewing place is in the spare bedroom. Small. I cleared out 2 drawers in the dresser for scraps. I do put them in zip bags, not cut in sizes, but by color. I'll cut when its time to piece something.
    You're never completely dressed, until you put on a smile.

Blog Entries
    I just do light and dark strips of various widths in the same tote box and light and dark charms. that is it.

I use Bonnie's scrap system...I have 2 sets of plastic drawer units that fit under my counter....1.5" sq, 1.5"x2.5" brick, 2"sq/2"strips, 2.5"sq 2.5"strips, 3.5"sq & strips, 2"x3.5" brick, 2.5" x4.5" brick, 6.5"x3.5" brick. All used in making Bonnie quilts.

I keep like items together: Kaffe's, b & w, batiks etc. It's not perfect, but fast and easy.

I also use the plastic shoe box size totes. I labelled the front with the appr. size for each tote. Also keep my fat quarters in these totes by color or type of fabric........such as batiks. Keep my orphan blocks and certain cut-offs in these totes in case I want to use them for a border or sashing on a project. Not much gets tossed out.
    Suz in Iowa
    Designer EPIC, Babylock Ellegante, Brother XR3140
    Babylock Evolve, Elna 945
    Innova 26" LS, MQR
    ProQ Designer, EQ7, Embird

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2