Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 3 4

Thread: Suggestion to organize this?

Blog Entries
    I bought fabric closet hanging shelves for sweaters (they ran about $12-$15). I have divided my stash by basic colors, RBGOYBrBlW, then one for flower prints, plaids and building (planks, bricks, stone, roof) fabric. Really helps. WIP and UFOs are in an individual bag with inst. Leftover batting I roll starting at the large end to small end, then place back in batting bag. I sew these together for small quilts. I put all batting on a top shelf. That way if they fall it does not hurt to get hit.

I am by no means organized fully but every little bit helps. I have found if I have a few minutes (30 or less). I set my phone alarm, work in my sewing room then leave when the timer goes off. I get SOMETHING done and feel good. It might just be writing a list what I will do next time.

Reply to buying an Accquilt Go stripper, your plan sounds good. 40 hrs is a long time for 1 quilt with just cutting.

Blog Entries
    Put everything in bins. Sort later. The mess will be gone and you will feel motivated to organize in a tidy space.
    Got fabric?

I thought someone had been messing in my fabric. Caught yaI have tried not to use bags as I can't see what's in them. I start out really good but then I find something I forgot I had and it must be finished right now.I don't think there is hope for me. I decided to keep up the way I have. The numerous occasions I have started to organize I know I have that 1 fabric I need to finish this and by the time I find it everything has "magically" become unorganized

Quote Originally Posted by QuilterMomma View Post
    This only one section. I have much more on other side in cupboards. How best to tackle this so it is not so overwhelming.
    have lI would start in the closet , clear it then start piling bins in that u seemed to already have filled.
    that would make room to start sorting buy tops, fq, yardage, I love a mess cause I love organizing.
    i just have my bathroom vanity left to do then my closets will be as neat as my house.

I would love to come help you organize. I sort by colors, keep folded in metal cabinet with shelves & doors. Usually, I keep solids together. Also in a chest of drawers. Can hang folded on hangers in clear wide garmet bag. (can you get some hangers with cardboard on them? Start folding in one area at a time and it will look so good that you will want to keep going. (keep a container for things that you want to get rid of and throw things in as you go) I have one area for ufos (unfinished objects).
    If space is a problem, remember height of storage.

http://www.quiltingboard.com/picture...238483-16.html If you haven't already organized everything, check out this link. Very organized room, and after I closed a business, I had lots of file cabinets and within a few days I have made a huge dent in my sewing room. And she posted a tutorial on making the bags, which is something you can do with a third of a hard of fabric and 5-10 minutes.

you have neat stacks till you pull out a piece of fabric. makes mess. so take 2 rulers slide one in on bottom of fabric you want slide other on top, piece will slide out easily and neatly. Be encouraged.

labels

Quote Originally Posted by Annaquilts View Post
    Duh that I never thought about putting index cards IN the clear bins to label them. I never wanted to tape stuff onto it so now I try to study the contents from the outside, pull the bin to confirm if it is the right one and often I still have the wrong one. Guess what I am doing over the next week or so? Putting index cards in my bins. Thank you!
    If containers not clear or want labels outside, use painters tape, I like light green, peals off easily and shows up good on cardboard.

Lots of great suggestions here. You guys are amazing with all your help...

but I just have to say that I love that photo!!! I thought I was the only one who could possibly have a room like that!!!!

What is the web site address for whittles every time try to go there something else pop up.
    wonderfully and beautifully made, even if you can't see it on the outside

Quote Originally Posted by DebJ View Post
    What is the web site address for whittles every time try to go there something else pop up.
    Debj, this posting is actually from over 3 years ago, so maybe that isn't current anymore?

Quote Originally Posted by yel View Post
    get your bestest girlfriend and a bottle of wine ......jump right in ....

It comes back to that plane ticket thing.😄
    My best is the least I can do.

Blog Entries
    When I have to face things like that, I use the "How do you eat an elephant? Method. (One bite at a time). I would work just to sort by color one day, fold and separate by size the second day, decide on how to store and display things the third day, make it so the fourth day. I may not be able to get it all done in four days, but at least I can accomplish something each day if I have a plan. I have been trying for the past year to organize my much smaller sewing space after I gave up my storage room to house a friend in need. She is still here, and I do not regret helping her, but I am just finally getting to the end of the job. It has taken me a year and a half, one bite at a time.
    If you always do, what you have always done, The results never change. Change is the wings you give yourself.

I would buy 16 to 18 gallon ( clear) bins to use. All alike so they stack and look nice. I know the cost adds up, but they last forever. One bin for each color, or combine orange and yellow for example. I also measure large cuts of fabric and label it, then "ruler fold" and store all those together in their own bin, regardless of color. Important: vow " no shopping, no sewing, no nothing" until this job is done and I can function again.

Quote Originally Posted by tranum View Post
    I would buy 16 to 18 gallon ( clear) bins to use. All alike so they stack and look nice. I know the cost adds up, but they last forever. One bin for each color, or combine orange and yellow for example. I also measure large cuts of fabric and label it, then "ruler fold" and store all those together in their own bin, regardless of color. Important: vow " no shopping, no sewing, no nothing" until this job is done and I can function again.
    I stack only 2 or 3 high, if higher try to divide with shelves. I can put 3 neat piles on top of ea stack and when have a pile, only have to move a few to put away. I can put 2 dressers apart to hold shelves or build one. My ceiling at the wall is only 4 foot, sloping.

I love AUQuilter's idea of setting the timer for 30 minutes. I'd even go for only 15, but then I'm kinda lazy.

Get a couple of boxes, or bins and turn on some of your favorite music. Take everything off of the floor and separate the items by putting each item into their proper box. Once the floor is clean, you will feel a big sigh of relief and everything will be much more visible. When the timer bell rings, stop and have a cuppa coffee and reflect on where those things in the boxes will go, or just hang it up for the day.

During the next cleaning session, do the same thing described above, only tackle the things on the hangers. Maybe make a rule that you'll only work up to 3 feet off of the floor. When the bell rings, have a cuppa coffee, (or maybe wine,) and contemplate where you might want to put those things.

Continue with each session, tackling another area of the mess until it is all empty and your items are all separated in the boxes. Start looking around for solutions on how to store those items. (By now, you should have some good ideas after all that contemplating and cups of coffee.) Start putting the items away in their proper place. Don't forget to set the timer...you don't want to work too hard at this. It will all be organized in no time!

~ C

I have a covered tub for each color( red, yellow, blue, green, black, gray, multi prints w/ light backgrounds & dark backgrounds), for example. I know some people keep all their Batiks together in a box. All my fabric is stored by color. My boxes are stacked , some under my cutting table, others against the wall. A lot depends on how much storage area you have.

I would do a little bit at a time. Begin by putting like items together.

QuilterMomma, what does your room look like today?? I'm in the same predicament today, that you were in 2013. Should I heed all of the above suggestions, or will it all be futile? I don't have a camera, or I'd take a picture. You'd think Irma went thru my basement, as my basement is MY domain. I sure have nothing compared to the actual Irma victims; imagine needing to clean that up! God bless them all.
    Use your smile to change the world, but don't let the world change your smile.

One suggestion...don't buy any more fabric until you have organized all of this and USED some. Also, no more starting projects until X number of UFO's are done. That will help you not land in this place again.

You mentioned "the other side of room"--- do you have empty shelves available there, or does some of that stuff in pic really belong with its own kind on the shelves? If so start with putting things where they really belong.

I think I saw fat quarters scattered thruout in the pic-start with that..either on a shelf or in a tub or whatever.....

the suggestions given are great, so just roll up,your sleeves and start!

DJ
    If I were to take everything out and dump it in another room, I would be very inspired to start another quilt and forget about what's in the other room. That said, I like the idea of taking a stack of fabric to the couch in front of the TV to fold and sort but return right back to the studio. THAT SAID, I need to practice what I preach, as I have a similar dilemma.

Best wishes in your organization goal.

It has all been said! The philosophy is there. If the desire is really there to organize all this, jump in! My bit of advice it: Keep at it until you have it organized or given away to your liking. Then, spend a bit of time after each project to put things away and not let this happen to you again. My husband says there are two things he hates: clutter and cleaning up clutter. Me, too.

I just now looked at the date of the OP....hope she's finished by now......I have to start checking the date of the OPs!

Dear one it took a LOT of guts to show your space to us and I appreciate all the positive input! Because mine gets that way at times, I am listening in on this conversation. Thanks QuilterMomma! Charlie
    Charlie DiSante

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 3 4