Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 3 4

Thread: Suggestion to organize this?

Blog Entries
    I bought fabric closet hanging shelves for sweaters (they ran about $12-$15). I have divided my stash by basic colors, RBGOYBrBlW, then one for flower prints, plaids and building (planks, bricks, stone, roof) fabric. Really helps. WIP and UFOs are in an individual bag with inst. Leftover batting I roll starting at the large end to small end, then place back in batting bag. I sew these together for small quilts. I put all batting on a top shelf. That way if they fall it does not hurt to get hit.

I am by no means organized fully but every little bit helps. I have found if I have a few minutes (30 or less). I set my phone alarm, work in my sewing room then leave when the timer goes off. I get SOMETHING done and feel good. It might just be writing a list what I will do next time.

Reply to buying an Accquilt Go stripper, your plan sounds good. 40 hrs is a long time for 1 quilt with just cutting.

Blog Entries
    Put everything in bins. Sort later. The mess will be gone and you will feel motivated to organize in a tidy space.
    Got fabric?

I thought someone had been messing in my fabric. Caught yaI have tried not to use bags as I can't see what's in them. I start out really good but then I find something I forgot I had and it must be finished right now.I don't think there is hope for me. I decided to keep up the way I have. The numerous occasions I have started to organize I know I have that 1 fabric I need to finish this and by the time I find it everything has "magically" become unorganized

Quote Originally Posted by QuilterMomma View Post
    This only one section. I have much more on other side in cupboards. How best to tackle this so it is not so overwhelming.
    have lI would start in the closet , clear it then start piling bins in that u seemed to already have filled.
    that would make room to start sorting buy tops, fq, yardage, I love a mess cause I love organizing.
    i just have my bathroom vanity left to do then my closets will be as neat as my house.

I would love to come help you organize. I sort by colors, keep folded in metal cabinet with shelves & doors. Usually, I keep solids together. Also in a chest of drawers. Can hang folded on hangers in clear wide garmet bag. (can you get some hangers with cardboard on them? Start folding in one area at a time and it will look so good that you will want to keep going. (keep a container for things that you want to get rid of and throw things in as you go) I have one area for ufos (unfinished objects).
    If space is a problem, remember height of storage.

http://www.quiltingboard.com/picture...238483-16.html If you haven't already organized everything, check out this link. Very organized room, and after I closed a business, I had lots of file cabinets and within a few days I have made a huge dent in my sewing room. And she posted a tutorial on making the bags, which is something you can do with a third of a hard of fabric and 5-10 minutes.

you have neat stacks till you pull out a piece of fabric. makes mess. so take 2 rulers slide one in on bottom of fabric you want slide other on top, piece will slide out easily and neatly. Be encouraged.

labels

Quote Originally Posted by Annaquilts View Post
    Duh that I never thought about putting index cards IN the clear bins to label them. I never wanted to tape stuff onto it so now I try to study the contents from the outside, pull the bin to confirm if it is the right one and often I still have the wrong one. Guess what I am doing over the next week or so? Putting index cards in my bins. Thank you!
    If containers not clear or want labels outside, use painters tape, I like light green, peals off easily and shows up good on cardboard.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 3 4