Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: SURVEY for COMIC BOARD users

I also use the comic boards and then I put them on end in plastic tubs. Very easy to access and see everything I have. I ruler fold anything over a yard and put on shelves. I have one bedroom with shelving on 3 walls and that is where I put the yardage/ruler folded material. I don't know anything about acid free. I'm not sure I get it. I have fabric that has been in boxes for well over 20 years and pulled some of that out this past winter and it is still just fine. I am making an effort to get rid of some of this old material and make something out of it. I doubt I'll be quilting for another 20 years as I suspect my eyesight and hands will go eventually making it impossible so I'm not worrying about the acid free.

AWESOME, and I do have a closet I could empty. I don't have that much fabric yet but why not start out right!!!!!!
    Better to do something imperfectly, than nothing perfectly.
    Done is better than perfect.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by echoemb View Post
    I also use the comic boards and then I put them on end in plastic tubs. Very easy to access and see everything I have. I ruler fold anything over a yard and put on shelves. I have one bedroom with shelving on 3 walls and that is where I put the yardage/ruler folded material. I don't know anything about acid free. I'm not sure I get it. I have fabric that has been in boxes for well over 20 years and pulled some of that out this past winter and it is still just fine. I am making an effort to get rid of some of this old material and make something out of it. I doubt I'll be quilting for another 20 years as I suspect my eyesight and hands will go eventually making it impossible so I'm not worrying about the acid free.
    I agree completely. I, too, have had fabric folded in cardboard boxes for 23+ yrs and the fabric is perfect when I remove them for use. I also have used the cardboard bolts from fabric stores and my LQS keeps the empty bolts for me in a large cardboard box and I pick them up weekly. You can get 4 boards out of each that are 9.5 x 11 in size. I agree, save your money for more stash. Jinnie
    Jinnie

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by echoemb View Post
    I agree completely. I, too, have had fabric folded in cardboard boxes for 23+ yrs and the fabric is perfect when I remove them for use. I also have used the cardboard bolts from fabric stores and my LQS keeps the empty bolts for me in a large cardboard box and I pick them up weekly. You can get 4 boards out of each that are 9.5 x 11 in size. I agree, save your money for more stash. Jinnie
    Jinnie

comic Book Boards

Quote Originally Posted by hobo2000 View Post
    I have gone through two packs of 100 each. They are totally acid free, both sides. I love how my fabric looks and so easy to pull one out and slide it back in again.
    Could someone post pictures of how they are used? Read so much about how great they are, but have never seen them in use. Thanks
    'With God all is possible!"

Thanks, they look great, I guess I better order some. Just went to a LQS that is closing and the prices were more than I could resist...so now have LOTS mor fabric than I have room for, but very happy!
    'With God all is possible!"

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by vmhlake View Post
    Could someone post pictures of how they are used? Read so much about how great they are, but have never seen them in use. Thanks
    Here's an excellent tut right here on the QB http://www.quiltingboard.com/tutoria...om-t43871.html
    https://napquilting.com/
    https://www.facebook.com/NAPQuilting/

My GOAL is to ALWAYS ENJOY EVERY STEP of the quilting process....

survey for comic board users

I just decided to redo my shelves and room when I looked for a project I wanted to start on and couldn't find it. It's somewhere altogether.. I bought the boards and can see I am going to need much more. I am also cleaning out all the pieces smaller than 1/4 yard. These are fabrics I have had for a long time so out they go. Well into the scrap bin.
    The ones on the 2nd shelf are the " don't wrap like this" ones.
    The ones on the left of the 3rd shelf I like much better.
    I am writing the yardage on the board itself in pencil. On the non shiny side.
    Top shelf is going to be my solids.. And if there is room the tone on tones.
    I really am trying to get rid of a lot of my "stuffs" and just have what I need to finish projects and what I will work on in the future.
    Attached Images Attached Images

I was thinking of getting oversized paperclips in colors to hold the fabric - or maybe colored quilting pins - using the color to indicate the yardage. Red for over 5 yards, Green for 3-5 yards, etc. however it might work best.
    Pat

Quote Originally Posted by sparkys_mom View Post
    I was thinking of getting oversized paperclips in colors to hold the fabric - or maybe colored quilting pins - using the color to indicate the yardage. Red for over 5 yards, Green for 3-5 yards, etc. however it might work best.
    Good idea right now I am using tiny applique pins to hold the fabric .

Quote Originally Posted by vmhlake View Post
    I absolutely love them!
    Attached Images Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by normasews View Post
    I absolutely love them!
    Yours are so nice and neat. Wanta come do mine? lol

I'll be watching, I'm in the process of building my new house and studio so that is when I'll start using the boards.
    If its a good system.
    http://www.skillpages.com/DonnaValleyquiltermo
    Sweet Dreams come from under Cozy Quilts made with love.
    Life is short, take time to enjoy it. Play with your kids and g-kids,
    and do what you can for others.

Blog Entries

ruler fold method

Quote Originally Posted by spartan quilter View Post
    I am just starting to put my fabric on boards, because I have seen so many who use it, and comment on how easy it is to access the fabric and I like how organized it is, whether by color or amount, etc. I am not wrapping anything over 2 yards or under 1/2 yard, preferring to do ruler fold on them and keeping on another shelf. I have the 6 1/2 x 10 1/2 boards. And this is a dumb question, but I would like to know, just which side is the acid free side? The shiny or dull. When I get my sewing room back in order, BIG REMODEL, I will post pictures of my boarded fabric. I will definitely keep an eye on this thread.
    what is the ruler fold method for folding your stash thanks for any information

I started using the comic book boards & just love them. I had ordered some on line but then realized I had a comic book store right in my town & they were cheaper getting them there. I usually only use one board & have wrapped up to 6 yds or more on one. I have all my fabric in totes so I don't have to worry about trying to stand them up. The smallest I wrap is one yard & I found the best thing to hold them on is with the #2 small ideal clamps from Office Max. You can get 50 for $3.00 or wait for their sale of 20 % off whatever fits in the bag. They kind of look like a criss cross paper clips. I also measure the fabric before putting it on the board & then use the string price tags, with the hole in them, and put the amount of fabric that is on the board. I just cut the string off & use a cheap tiny safety pin to pin it to the fabric. The fabric that is less than a yard I measure & just fold it & put a tag on it with the amount. I love how easy it is to see what fabric I have & if I need a certain amount all I have to do is look at the tags & know if it will work or not. I have a long ways to go but it sure is fun finding fabric that I didn't remember that I had!
    Fritzy

Quote Originally Posted by Fritzy View Post
    I also measure the fabric before putting it on the board & then use the string price tags, with the hole in them, and put the amount of fabric that is on the board. I just cut the string off & use a cheap tiny safety pin to pin it to the fabric. The fabric that is less than a yard I measure & just fold it & put a tag on it with the amount. I love how easy it is to see what fabric I have & if I need a certain amount all I have to do is look at the tags & know if it will work or not.
    I like your idea of tagging the amount of fabric. Easier than writing on the boards and having to erase it as the amount of fabric changes.
    Pat

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Fritzy View Post
    . The smallest I wrap is one yard & I found the best thing to hold them on is with the #2 small ideal clamps from Office Max. You can get 50 for $3.00 or wait for their sale of 20 % off whatever fits in the bag. They kind of look like a criss cross paper clips.
    Name:  21261938i_01.jpg
Views: 978
Size:  4.3 KBFound this picture on Office Max's website. I see a lot of fabric stores (not necessarily quilting fabric stores) use a regular straight pin to keep the fabric on the bolts.

DONNAI - Substitute a ruler for the comic board in this link http://www.quiltingboard.com/tutoria...om-t43871.html and you'll have the ruler fold method.

NORMASEWS and DAMMAQUILTS - Looks Great!
    https://napquilting.com/
    https://www.facebook.com/NAPQuilting/

My GOAL is to ALWAYS ENJOY EVERY STEP of the quilting process....

Blog Entries
    I use the large 'plastic' type paper clips to hold the fabric on my boards and slip a small piece of paper under the clip with the amount of fabric left folded on the board. I heard somewhere not to use pins or metal paper clips because they could stain thefabric and not to use rubber bands because they will mark the fabric. Jinniw
    Jinnie

Unhappy Archival or Acid free comic book boards.

This is an excerpt I got off of a comic book site. "What is most important is purchasing archival safe boards (again, there are degrees to this too) ensuring proper care of books for the duration of their storage.Comic book boards have two sides to them: one side is rough and matte, the other side is smooth and glossy. Since boards are only intended to protect one comic, only one side is treated, this is the smooth side of the board. "

I interpret this to mean that only 1 side is treated to be acid free. I have used these boards myself and never thought about the claims of 'acid free'.

I then found this link which performed a test of the comic book boards. http://boards.collectors-society.com...Number=4534727. Essentially the results said "In contrast, every single buffered board (E Gerber and Bill Cole) passed the acid-free test - on these boards, both sides were pH neutral (or slightly alkaline), and as these boards are buffered throughout (not coated), the entire board can therefore be considered acid-free.

Sounds like we need to buy E Gerber's Half-Back,Bill Cole's Thin-X-Tender, or Bill Cole's Life-X-Tender boards to be truly archival safe. Of course this is not what I have.

Looks like the Bill Cole's are twice as expensive but I found the E Gerber Half back for 9.99 per 100 at comic supply ( sizes/prices vary based on size of comic book).

I found some online that were $9.99 for 100 but the shipping was $13.00. Yikes!! So I found some at our local used book store for 7.75 for 50 or 9.95 for 100.

I use the large paper clips to hold the fabric on the boards. I got them at the Dollar Store for 100 per box for $1.00. Can't beat the price and they are just the right size.

I am now in the process of organizing my closet with using comic boards for fabric. I first ordered 300 7 x 10 1/2 from amazon and used all of them, then ordered 500 6 3/4 X 10 1/2 more from Ebay and have used 250 of them, but I haven't gotten to my Halloween and christmas fabric yet. I used my old christmas, birthday and etc cards and cut them the size of fat quarter boards and wrapped all my small pieces on them and stored them in bins or baskets. I ran out of cards and hit my 2 sisters for their old cards. I used paper clips, bobbie pins and pins. I was hoping to have my room done by now, but DH has had to work the last few days and no getting any work out of him. Will post it when done.....

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by amyjo View Post
    I have a lot of my fabric stored on the boards that fabric is sold on at the LQS and Joanns. I get them free at Joann's and cut into 4 equal size boards. Have folded quite a few yards on each one and they seem to hold up just fine and the best part is they are FREE. Instead of the ladies having to take them to the dumpster I take what they have. If fabric is good enough to be wrapped and shipped on that it should be good enough for me to store my fabric on without spending more money on acid free boards that can be spent on more fabric.
    actually NO. They are shipped that way, but not meant to LIVE on them. THey figure 6 months to a year tops...then the acid starts to fade the fold lines! IF you add in sunlight to that the life span is shorter!

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by sandypants View Post
    I am now in the process of organizing my closet with using comic boards for fabric. I first ordered 300 7 x 10 1/2 from amazon and used all of them, then ordered 500 6 3/4 X 10 1/2 more from Ebay and have used 250 of them, but I haven't gotten to my Halloween and christmas fabric yet. I used my old christmas, birthday and etc cards and cut them the size of fat quarter boards and wrapped all my small pieces on them and stored them in bins or baskets. I ran out of cards and hit my 2 sisters for their old cards. I used paper clips, bobbie pins and pins. I was hoping to have my room done by now, but DH has had to work the last few days and no getting any work out of him. Will post it when done.....

Had to giggle...I did a basic COUNT and I would need over 1,000 boards! and I want the LIFE magazine size ones as they will fit my shelving better!
    I LOVE the bobby pin idea..better/cheaper than bolt buddies and does the same thing. PERFECT!

Banned
    Blog Entries
    need to see pix of all this organization going on!

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 ... LastLast