Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Pictures > Mission: Organization
SURVEY for COMIC BOARD users >

SURVEY for COMIC BOARD users

SURVEY for COMIC BOARD users

Old 02-21-2012, 03:34 AM

Originally Posted by Fritzy View Post
I also measure the fabric before putting it on the board & then use the string price tags, with the hole in them, and put the amount of fabric that is on the board. I just cut the string off & use a cheap tiny safety pin to pin it to the fabric. The fabric that is less than a yard I measure & just fold it & put a tag on it with the amount. I love how easy it is to see what fabric I have & if I need a certain amount all I have to do is look at the tags & know if it will work or not.
I like your idea of tagging the amount of fabric. Easier than writing on the boards and having to erase it as the amount of fabric changes.
Old 02-21-2012, 06:42 AM

Originally Posted by Fritzy View Post
. The smallest I wrap is one yard & I found the best thing to hold them on is with the #2 small ideal clamps from Office Max. You can get 50 for $3.00 or wait for their sale of 20 % off whatever fits in the bag. They kind of look like a criss cross paper clips.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]314130[/ATTACH]Found this picture on Office Max's website. I see a lot of fabric stores (not necessarily quilting fabric stores) use a regular straight pin to keep the fabric on the bolts.

DONNAI - Substitute a ruler for the comic board in this link http://www.quiltingboard.com/tutoria...om-t43871.html and you'll have the ruler fold method.

NORMASEWS and DAMMAQUILTS - Looks Great!
Attached Thumbnails 21261938i_01.jpg  
Old 02-21-2012, 07:08 AM

I use the large 'plastic' type paper clips to hold the fabric on my boards and slip a small piece of paper under the clip with the amount of fabric left folded on the board. I heard somewhere not to use pins or metal paper clips because they could stain thefabric and not to use rubber bands because they will mark the fabric. Jinniw
Old 02-21-2012, 02:28 PM

Unhappy Archival or Acid free comic book boards.

This is an excerpt I got off of a comic book site. "What is most important is purchasing archival safe boards (again, there are degrees to this too) ensuring proper care of books for the duration of their storage.Comic book boards have two sides to them: one side is rough and matte, the other side is smooth and glossy. Since boards are only intended to protect one comic, only one side is treated, this is the smooth side of the board. "

I interpret this to mean that only 1 side is treated to be acid free. I have used these boards myself and never thought about the claims of 'acid free'.

I then found this link which performed a test of the comic book boards. http://boards.collectors-society.com...Number=4534727. Essentially the results said "In contrast, every single buffered board (E Gerber and Bill Cole) passed the acid-free test - on these boards, both sides were pH neutral (or slightly alkaline), and as these boards are buffered throughout (not coated), the entire board can therefore be considered acid-free.

Sounds like we need to buy E Gerber's Half-Back,Bill Cole's Thin-X-Tender, or Bill Cole's Life-X-Tender boards to be truly archival safe. Of course this is not what I have.

Looks like the Bill Cole's are twice as expensive but I found the E Gerber Half back for 9.99 per 100 at comic supply ( sizes/prices vary based on size of comic book).
Old 02-21-2012, 02:43 PM

I found some online that were $9.99 for 100 but the shipping was $13.00. Yikes!! So I found some at our local used book store for 7.75 for 50 or 9.95 for 100.
Old 02-21-2012, 02:48 PM

I use the large paper clips to hold the fabric on the boards. I got them at the Dollar Store for 100 per box for $1.00. Can't beat the price and they are just the right size.
Old 02-21-2012, 05:49 PM

I am now in the process of organizing my closet with using comic boards for fabric. I first ordered 300 7 x 10 1/2 from amazon and used all of them, then ordered 500 6 3/4 X 10 1/2 more from Ebay and have used 250 of them, but I haven't gotten to my Halloween and christmas fabric yet. I used my old christmas, birthday and etc cards and cut them the size of fat quarter boards and wrapped all my small pieces on them and stored them in bins or baskets. I ran out of cards and hit my 2 sisters for their old cards. I used paper clips, bobbie pins and pins. I was hoping to have my room done by now, but DH has had to work the last few days and no getting any work out of him. Will post it when done.....
Old 02-21-2012, 06:17 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by amyjo View Post
I have a lot of my fabric stored on the boards that fabric is sold on at the LQS and Joanns. I get them free at Joann's and cut into 4 equal size boards. Have folded quite a few yards on each one and they seem to hold up just fine and the best part is they are FREE. Instead of the ladies having to take them to the dumpster I take what they have. If fabric is good enough to be wrapped and shipped on that it should be good enough for me to store my fabric on without spending more money on acid free boards that can be spent on more fabric.
actually NO. They are shipped that way, but not meant to LIVE on them. THey figure 6 months to a year tops...then the acid starts to fade the fold lines! IF you add in sunlight to that the life span is shorter!
Old 02-21-2012, 06:19 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by sandypants View Post
I am now in the process of organizing my closet with using comic boards for fabric. I first ordered 300 7 x 10 1/2 from amazon and used all of them, then ordered 500 6 3/4 X 10 1/2 more from Ebay and have used 250 of them, but I haven't gotten to my Halloween and christmas fabric yet. I used my old christmas, birthday and etc cards and cut them the size of fat quarter boards and wrapped all my small pieces on them and stored them in bins or baskets. I ran out of cards and hit my 2 sisters for their old cards. I used paper clips, bobbie pins and pins. I was hoping to have my room done by now, but DH has had to work the last few days and no getting any work out of him. Will post it when done.....

Had to giggle...I did a basic COUNT and I would need over 1,000 boards! and I want the LIFE magazine size ones as they will fit my shelving better!
I LOVE the bobby pin idea..better/cheaper than bolt buddies and does the same thing. PERFECT!
Old 02-21-2012, 06:21 PM
Banned

need to see pix of all this organization going on!