Thread Storage

Old 10-21-2012, 04:51 PM

This is my thread storage solution.

http://www.quiltingboard.com/picture...m-t162426.html
Old 10-21-2012, 04:56 PM

I keep my large cones in cardboard 6-pack cartons (think beer or soda) in a plastic rolling cart with deep file drawers. I can keep like colors together and pull out a 6-pack when I need that color. Each drawer holds 4 cartons (24 cones). For my smaller spools, I have shallower drawers fitted with pegboard into which I've glued dowels (about 1 1/2 inches long) to slip the spools over. It keeps them standing upright and I store like colors together so I can easily see and find the color I need. I have 2 sets of those drawers. One for embroidery threads (like Isacord), another, shallower set for sewing thread spools.
Old 10-21-2012, 05:19 PM

I followed RonieM's idea. ***THANK YOU RONIEM!!!***

The thread stays out of the light and dust, also the boxes have a small space in the front for you to put a card with the contents. I like that because its easy to change if you change the colors in that box. I did this for all my embroidery thread, now I need to do it for my regular threads. The extra long tees are perfect because they alow enough space on top of the spool to store a bobbin if need be. I used the plain white ones but plan on "covering" them once I decide how I want to decorate my sewing space (after we move). They stack perfectly on my shelves. And worse case, if I ever dont want to use the box to store thread, I can just take out the foam bottom and use the box for millions of other things.
Old 10-22-2012, 04:22 AM

Originally Posted by Jackie Spencer View Post
I love the thread boxes from connecting threads. They are clear plastic so you can see your thread colors, and they hold 48 spools of thread, 24 on each side. Each side opens seperately and has a nice latch, plus there is a handle for carrying. I have 3 of these and want more!!
I have tow of these, also and love them!
Old 10-22-2012, 05:09 AM

If you can find the double cases for Matchbox Cars (toy cars), they are just right for most standard spools of thread and you get twice the storage in each one. Walmart here used to carry them but don't any longer. Menards has single boxes about the same size for single spool storage and they are quite reasonable and sometimes you can buy them taped together in groups of three and they are reasonably priced.
Old 10-22-2012, 08:09 AM

I use the flat storage boxes (I think they are for fishing stuff).
Slots are moveable and hold the bobbin to.
Found at yard sale for 25 cents each.
I have about 8 now - trying for 1 for each color.

J J
Old 10-22-2012, 09:49 PM

I also machine embroider. You did not state what size spools you use. Now I do use the 5000 meter size--but this would work just as easily with the smaller spools, in fact you could double stack them. Here is a picture of what I did with mine.

Old 10-22-2012, 10:28 PM

Originally Posted by Jackie Spencer View Post
I love the thread boxes from connecting threads. They are clear plastic so you can see your thread colors, and they hold 48 spools of thread, 24 on each side. Each side opens seperately and has a nice latch, plus there is a handle for carrying. I have 3 of these and want more!!
I have this one also. Works great, and a wonderful price!

http://www.connectingthreads.com/Too...r__D82068.HTML
Old 10-23-2012, 12:01 AM

I saw this way and loved it as well. I will probably switch to this method once we have moved and I go up in size to the larger spools.
Old 10-23-2012, 05:18 AM

Location: Quilting, crocheting, sewing and crafting in my Sewing Room...Peaceful and wonderful !!

When we got the Lawyer File cabinets (the ones that open outward) I stole (hehehe) my CD tower as I put all my CD's/DVDs/tapes in the cabinets for all my sewing thread. I took some yardsticks (yes yardsticks, one coulde use molding if they preferred) to put across the front of the shelf so they don't fall out! Its great; they are by colors now and have a home for just them in the sewing area.