Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Three great improvements to my space

Quilters are always organizing and re-organizing to make our sewing space more accomadating.
    Our sewing spaces are so personal to us we always want them to be a special space.

Love the are and improvements. I have a couple suggestions. 1st get a couple surge protectors and put the sewing machine and the iron on them. 2nd look for the ott lights at Joannes on sale get on for the sewing table. Can you donate the extra furniture in the room to open it up for you. I use an Ikea 25 cube bookcase for storage. Just a few thoughts. Enjoy your new space. Luann
    Live Love and Laugh Enough!

in front of this dang computer instead of my Bernina!(Naples, Florida)
    How nice. And that's a great desk!
    aka Chicken McLittle

If it's true we learn from our mistakes, I'm going to be a genius!

Beautiful room.. Lucky you.
    so many quilts to make, so little time.

Quote Originally Posted by beadywoman View Post
    Love it! AND you are a Janome girl! So am I. My wonderful husband is constantly making upgrades in my sewing room for me. He got two lateral files and cubicle desk tops from where he works and set them up for a stable worktop for me - the only draw back is that the table is almost too high now, but I'm making it work. One of these days I hope to have a drop-in surface. He's put so much work into my sewing space that I can't complain - florescent lights, two great work tables, tv and blueray player so I can find YouTube videos, the list goes on and on! We're lucky girls, huh?
    We sure are, and it is one of those things I'm thankful for whenever I go into that room! Sounds like your DH has done everything electronic you could ask for and great lighting. What do you put in the lateral files, fabric? or pattern books and stuff?
    SueSew
    "If it's messy, eat it over the sink!" Mom

Quote Originally Posted by crafterrn1 View Post
    Love the are and improvements. I have a couple suggestions. 1st get a couple surge protectors and put the sewing machine and the iron on them. 2nd look for the ott lights at Joannes on sale get on for the sewing table. Can you donate the extra furniture in the room to open it up for you. I use an Ikea 25 cube bookcase for storage. Just a few thoughts. Enjoy your new space. Luann
    I'm on the lookout for one of those Ott lights when Joanne does the big sale - it's next on the list!
    thanks for the suggestions - it's a whole new year coming up to improve
    Sue
    SueSew

Quote Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
    Love the space really nice, question to you and others who want to give me some advise. I have everything set up however, what does everyone put their scraps into? I've tried a jar, not big enough; I've tried a box, gets filled to easy.
    Help!! Any suggestions?
    I just drop them in a paper bag from the supermarket kept under the cutting table and throw them out. there, I've confessed! Anything big enough to use again I pile up and then store in a bag by project.
    Love to her what other people are doing!
    SueSew

Lovely!

The only place my DH is handy is in the kitchen with the 5-burner gas range he bought himself and the smoker. I'm not complaining about his cooking but I do like to say that when God was handing out talent my DH got in the 'brilliant line' twice and was so busy 'thinking', he forgot to get in the 'mechanically inclined line' at all! LOL

Quote Originally Posted by Whigrose View Post
    Lucky girl! You must be beside yourself with giddiness for all the 'improvements' to your studio. Congrats.

Would you share a bit more on the design wall. I love that it is framed in. DH is at the ready to build one for me, but I'm the holdup. Not exactly sure what I want but if you don't mind, yours looks fabulous and I'd love t 'copy-cat' your idea.

Oh, and love the door handle! (Sorry, I'm notice things like that.)

d
    That half of the house is 1803 but feels older - I love the old latches too!

Here is how we did the wall. I went through a lot of thought and read about different ideas on the board, and gouldn't make up my mind how big...finally it came down to...I had bought a 6 foot length of 54" wide home deco white flannely fabric at Joannes' for it. Rich was ready to just 'get it done'. So he got four 1x2 wood strips cut to just a couple inches smaller all round than the fabric. The made little one-foot pieces angled in to stabilize each corner, and he put in a center piece of 1x2 going from top to bottom. (that was the part he knew how to do) Then we laid the fabric on the floor, and staple-gunned it just like you would a canvas for a painting. (that's the part I knew how to do) Pull it even, staple top center, bottom center then each side center, then keep moving outward toward the edges, pulling the fabric tight vertically and horizontally so it doesn't get wrinkles. He put two blocks on the wall at a distance apart so I could slide it back and forth if I need to move it, and it is small enough I can take it down.

what a team - it was our 30-year anniversary this past weekend and I have to say he is dearer to me than ever. And he never gets nudgy when I go off to the quilting lab. (My son nicknamed it the lab as he says it is where I experiment LOL - he also sometimes hears shrieks of insane laughter when I sew something backwards AGAIN, or delight when the blocks come out right)
    SueSew

Beautiful! Wishing I had more working room. Enjoy your space!
    Quilting makes me happy!..

[QUOTE=SueSew;4834976]
    Here is how we did the wall.
    what a team
    QUOTE]

Sue,
    Thanks tons for the info on the design wall. Just maybe, if I give the 'green light', hubby can cross something of his to-do list. Of course, I'll only find something else to fill up that spot. Can't have him 'getting caught up', can I? :-)

My dh has dub my studio 'the inner sanctum'. We're 34 years and counting.

Looks great and Very organized!
    Country 1

Suzanne my husband built me a 3 piece sewing table and recessed my Elna Baby. He put a "floor" in the recessed area that is open in the front(against me) to accommodate the knee lift bar and the opposite side for cords in the power strip. I can't figure out how to post a pic off my iPhone which is what I'm using right now. Sorry!

Quote Originally Posted by SueSew View Post
    Suzanne, that is a bigger machine than my little QDC but it should work. He cut a hole in the desk the size of the machine plus that plastic little table that came with the machine, leaving a little wiggle room on the right for the cords centered in the opening of the desk. Then he built a box 3" deep to fit in the hole plus 3/4" for the bottom which can come out and site on wood frame pieces which are attached to the sides of the box underneath. The sides of the box up on the top are screwed into the thickness of the desk. I am NOT the woodworker here but I will try to get him to explain it better that I can (when no football is on TV!!!) and I'll post it.
    Suzanne, you understand Suesew won't be able to ask him until after the Superbowl in late January - oh, unless he's also a basketball fan - that carries right through Spring training for baseball. There is a short time between the worlds series and Football I think. I know I see my DH sometime in August every year. (Funny - but kinda true) He loves his sports.

Blog Entries
    Lucky you, doesn't it feel good to get a little organized. Like your design wall idea.
    Retired & enjoying life

My DH may come up for air if the Pats lose their first post-season game for a third year in a row. Hah.
    DH's who cook ...must be great...mine can do woodworking but entire cooking skill is eggs over easy , wheat toast, and overcooked low-salt bacon. LOL
    there are two things here - one is can they help improve the quilting space and more important will they let us go to the 'inner sanctum' and quilt when we want to?!
    SueSew

Blog Entries
    When the kids were through with piano lessons I called a local small church and they were delighted to load up the piano and take it to their church and I got a nice tax deduction! A keyboard (storable in a closet) now takes the place of the big upright and sounds like a quality baby grand.
    Got fabric?

Love your new special space!! Esp the ironing cutting table.......looks so easy to use! Thanks for sharing!!

nice work space
    http://www.etsy.com/shop/Upnorthcrafter

That is exactly what I want. Now if I can get my brother to stay home once in awhile I can get him to do this for me. He has a cheapy rolltop desk he says I can have to fix up. We have to cut it down some and then cut the hole in the top. I also want him to up and extention on the back so I can pull it out when I have a big quilt. :-) I figure sometime in 2013 I might get it. lol

WOW - What a beautiful job, nice and neat, wish I could say the same about mine
    Have a Blessed day
    Ellen

Quote Originally Posted by M.I.Late View Post
    Suzanne, you understand Suesew won't be able to ask him until after the Superbowl in late January - oh, unless he's also a basketball fan - that carries right through Spring training for baseball. There is a short time between the worlds series and Football I think. I know I see my DH sometime in August every year. (Funny - but kinda true) He loves his sports.
    You are so right on! Do you secretly live in the walls of my house?

Great job, I love seeing what quilters come up with instead of the &1000 tables..
    judy
    Judy
    Quilters come with strings attached.

Quote Originally Posted by damaquilts View Post
    That is exactly what I want. Now if I can get my brother to stay home once in awhile I can get him to do this for me. He has a cheapy rolltop desk he says I can have to fix up. We have to cut it down some and then cut the hole in the top. I also want him to up and extention on the back so I can pull it out when I have a big quilt. :-) I figure sometime in 2013 I might get it. lol
    Whatever you don't get rid of the rolltop. They are $$$so special! If you need a bigger space(the sides of the rolltop and back will prohibit fabric moving around) either use a cheap flattop desk or table from a flea market or have him make a top from laminate and edge trim and four legs.
    SueSew

Quote Originally Posted by barbrdunn View Post
    You are so right on! Do you secretly live in the walls of my house?
    Football rules until the Pats lose!
    Meanwhile he swears he doesn't have a better way to explain how he did it than what I already published.
    So if anybody needs the carpentry gory details, please PM me and I will sit him down with specific questions.
    Happy Quilting New Year!
    SueSew

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast