Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Pictures > Mission: Organization
Time to re-think the place I love the most in the house... >

Time to re-think the place I love the most in the house...

Time to re-think the place I love the most in the house...

Old 01-21-2014, 07:54 AM

Just happened to notice that you are in Spring, Texas. So am I. Near the new Klein High School.
Old 01-21-2014, 07:59 AM
Power Poster

I agree. I want to be able to see easily what I have. But I also like things behind closed doors. My neighbor's sewing room looks like a kitchen. It isn't big so she really thought the space out and went through a kitchen décor magazine. Her sewing room is only abut 10'x10'.She bought some cabinets at an estate sale. Her sewing machine drops down into a cabinet which her DH attached to an island with cabinets underneath.
Originally Posted by Grammie Sharon View Post
I know you don't want to buy any furniture but would there be space to get a wardrobe cabinet or something like that with doors and take some of the boxes off the walls. It would be nice looking but then you could store your fabric inside it instead of on the shoe boxes on the wall? Just a thought.
Old 01-21-2014, 07:59 AM

I think you issue is all the stuff on the walls , its not the clean look you are seeking. Minimize you stuff on the walls to things you use every week. Once the walls are clear you can create a better them and hang inspiration, instead of stuff.
Old 01-21-2014, 08:23 AM

Love the size of your room. Mine is so cluttered, organized, bit I have shelves full of plastic containers and stacks of them on the floor, you have paths through. These are mostly fabric and yarn. Wish I could find a better way, but oh well, just do the best you can and enjoy.
Old 01-21-2014, 09:32 AM

I have taken everything out of my sewing room in order to organize it. When I get things back in and the sewing room looks wonderful I turn around and find a whole room full of "stuff" that hasn't made it back in there yet. My room is always a work in progress -- I would love to have a cleaned off sewing table but always seem to have a lot of projects on it. During the last clean up I found a bunch of crochet thread and 30 yards of flannel that had been purchased for receiving blankets. Over the past year I have used up most of the thread and all of the flannel. That is why it takes so long to clean our rooms!

I think you would feel better if some of your items were behind closed doors. If one could find a thread cabinet (do they make such a thing?) to put all your thread in -- it would only need to be one spool deep. May have to ask my son do design and build something like that for me. Maybe looking in a second hand store one could find some inexpensive pieces that would work.

Good luck on your reorganization!
Old 01-21-2014, 09:59 AM

This may seem odd but when I don't like my space I rearrange. I thought maybe move your sewing table to the other side by the window so you get more natural light and outside view with inspiration while sewing. Then your purple chair in the corner behind where your sewing machine is now. If your going to cut down the size of the peg board maybe make it fit framed between the windows. Good Luck. Sometimes if I buy a different piece of furniture to store things in then when rearranging fabric or patterns and storing the things I have I'll find a great fabric that gives me inspiration to get started again.
Old 01-21-2014, 10:24 AM

I like your sewing room. I like to have everything visible and handy that I use regularly. Try just putting the stuff hanging on the peg board some place else. Then see if you need to do more. I agree with Littlebitoheaven that it is a workroom and your tools need to be handy. Good luck on your quest for a room you feel creative in.
Old 01-21-2014, 10:31 AM

You could find a large medicine cabinet and have thast installed in your room to put thread behind and it will also reflect the light in your room. I would put the sew machine in front of the windows also and hang the peg board between with a rod all the way across and have a curtain hanging down in front of the pegboard so that is doesn't show. can still pull the curtain back to find what you need.
Old 01-21-2014, 10:42 AM

Location: A Hop from Heaven, a Skip from Sanity and a Jump from the Good Life....

I love it ... So I'm no help ... I seriously don't see anything bad... I personally love my things in sight ... I thing that is one awesome room ... You are very lucky ..
Old 01-21-2014, 10:43 AM

Odd question... Is your room too tidy? I think most of us aspire to neat in some way, but not all of us can work that way. Right now I have to keep my sewing room tidy since it is also my bedroom, or my in-laws bedroom when they come to visit, and a place for the grandbaby to sleep when he visits and needs a nap. I get no sewing done because I just don't want to tidy up again. Looking at your pictures from 2011 I wonder if you are just fighting yourself to maintain a standard you aspire to rather than a quilting studio you love.