Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Pictures > Mission: Organization
Time to re-think the place I love the most in the house... >

Time to re-think the place I love the most in the house...

Time to re-think the place I love the most in the house...

Old 01-21-2014, 10:47 AM

Instead of actual furniture, have you considered building doors to go over some of the shelving? I have some old window shutters that used to be on my house and I want to have them built into a frame to create an area that covers shelves where I can put things, even my Sweet 16 when I want to clean the back kitchen area where I sew. Having stuff in sight is really distracting, and I agree with many above. You could leave pegboard for easy access between the shelves if there is a neat cover/doors over it all. You could even hang drapery rods over a storage wall and put up colorful fabric or drapes that look neater than all the stuff. I wish I had as much space to use as you do, but there is always another way to deal with stuff. Good luck and be sure to post your pics when you find solutions.
Old 01-21-2014, 11:09 AM

I hope you've received some ideas and some comfort from the answers here. I agree that a unifying color scheme helps to pull a room's look together if you can manage that. In my next sewing space, I'm planning on using mostly white tables and cabinets with the walls we've already painted a soft aqua green color. I need to see my stuff for the most part until it hits that tipping point where it's overwhelming and frustrating. I've been rearranging my stuff and have it mostly how I want it. My main issue is that I just have too much stuff in too small of a space. So...I'm trying to use some up!
Best of luck - post pictures if you make some changes. You know how we all love pictures!
Old 01-21-2014, 12:33 PM

This is so funny how we are all different.

I really like your sewing room. It is very organized and functional. I don't think I would have any issues in getting inspired in that room. I'm afraid I'm not being very helpful since your setup is just what I like!

Just last weekend I covered two large frames (2' X 3') with fun, happy fabric and then poked drapery hooks through the fabric to hang things in plain sight! I used to have them stored in drawers with labels but I hated having to go hunt every time I wanted a bias maker, bone folder, tube turner, marking pen, Fray Check, magnetic seam guide, wooden iron, etc., etc., etc.. These are all notions that I only have one of and they seemed to get lost when I stored them in boxes, drawers, or pencil cups. I save all of the original packaging for my notions so they are easy to hang on the hooks. Yes, it looks like the notion wall at the fabric stores and I love it. I visually know what a particular item looks like in its package (e.g.: pencil sharpener) so it easy to spot and retrieve. Plus, when my sewing friend comes over she can find the things she needs easily too.

When I have a large quantity of "like" items then I store them in their own wooden drawers with labels. E.g.: thread, scissors, glue, tape, zippers, embroidery thread, crochet needles, sewing machine needles, rotary blades. It is a nice and tidy look to have them hidden away and because the drawers are solid I avoid dust and sunlight degrading the zipper fabric, sewing and embroidery thread. My fabric is all hidden away on shelves in a walk in closet so that I can close the door to keep the light out.

As I said, I covered two frames. One is for notions and the other is now used for rotary cutters and rulers which is hanging on a wall that is handy from my cutting station. I was storing my rulers vertically in one of those gadgets with dividers. But, I was always poking myself on the triange shaped rulers while looking for something else, the smallest rulers and triangle trimmers were still hard to spot and it wasn't very useful for my longest and largest rulers. Now that each ruler is hangin on its own hook it is easy to spot what I want (Tri-Recs, Pyramid triangle, 1" X 6" ruler, etc., etc., etc.. I suppose this will look cluttered to some people's eyes but I like that my one-of-a-kind items are separated and easy to spot.
Old 01-21-2014, 04:42 PM

Well, I can't speak from experience - my sewing room is also our family room - which is open into the kitchen - and seems to constantly be a cluttered mess.

When I look at the pictures you've shown (and comparing them to the original post!), I really like the room and its layout. But there is a LOT of stuff on the walls. Sometimes walls are an easy place to put things as it doesn't take up valuable floor space, plus the advantage of having everything where you can see it when you need it.

But you can see it ALL of the time, and probably don't use it all of the time. I'd say to narrow down what needs to be hung to what you use frequently. If you like the pegboard method for hanging things, I'd first reduce the size of the pegboard, then paint it so that it blends in more with the wall it is on, possibly framing it for a more finished look.

For those things that you want to keep, but don't use frequently enough to make it onto that prized space, when you are looking for storage, keep in mind that having shallow boxes or drawers will make it easier to find things. Both at work and at home I've had drawers and/or cupboards that were deep. Initially I thought that'd be great storage space. What ended up happening, though, was that things just get buried in layers and ultimately lost, unless I spend the time to dig through to find what I want.

Although you might be frustrated right now, go back to the pictures of your original post and look how much better your space is now. It might not be perfect, but it's better than what you were working with. You made some significant changes then and now you know what's not working for you, so you can fine tune things and make it better still.
Old 01-21-2014, 07:09 PM

I love the size of your room. Mine is way smaller than yours

These are only suggestions as to how I look at it:
1. It would bother me that the left side of the sewing table is against the wall.
2. The things on the wall to the left the sewing machine would hamper sewing for me. An open area to the left of my machine works better for me but maybe not for you.
3. A good L or U shaped area are the best sewing designs according to all the pros.
4. Could the sewing table be moved to where the chair is facing the TV, (but not under the shelves) and the gray mat cutting table be moved to where the sewing table was under the shelves.
5. The chair could go where the cutting table was sitting. You could still see the TV and open up the area where the window is and be able to see out of the window also.
6. Taking down the things you seldom use from the peg board would clear up some of your wall especially if you can put and label them for easy access.

We all have different ways of working and creating. Sometimes my sewing room is neat and tidy but right now it looks like someone went in it and threw everything up in the air and let if fall where ever. I'm working on 6 projects for a UFO list...

If you rearrange your room, please post new pics so we can all see them. Good luck!!

Last edited by quiltjoey; 01-21-2014 at 07:12 PM.
Old 01-21-2014, 07:20 PM

I would install French doors between the dining area and your sewing room. Keep one corner for your reading and hand sewing area. Remove everything on the walls and only hang quilts or wallhangings any object that inspires you.
use a cabinet with doors for your fabrics. Put all of your pegboard stuff in drawers. Have a cutting section and a sewing section.everything else goes under your cutting and work area table.
Old 01-21-2014, 07:46 PM

I am JEALOUS of your room. I love your room and think that it looks great. Pegboard----I am waiting for my DH to finish a pegboard for me to put all of my stencils on. At least then I will be able to find them and use them when needed and not forget that I have them.

Guess I would be just grateful to have an organized space like yours. My sewing room in filled with bags of stuffed animals that I have been trying to pawn off on the kids and stacks of mending that got shoved in there and "disappeared."
Both teens cleaned out their rooms and where did everything go???? You got it---the sewing room---so I can't even reach some of my fabric. I have a path through it now. No time to organize...new grandbaby on the way and he needs a quilt.

I would give both teens in exchange for that room of yours. Be positive, start on a new project, and enjoy it!!!
I will trade you!!
Old 01-21-2014, 08:18 PM

Thank you everyone! I am really enjoying seeing things through your eyes. A different perspective helps me look at things differently.

One thing I should mention about my sewing machine/iron station area is that I am LEFT handed and everything is so easily accessible for me in this configuration. If anything is on the right side of my machine it's not being used.

As much as I don't want to buy anything new for the room... after reading your ideas, I've started looking through craigslist.

Keep the comments coming, I appreciate the input!
Old 01-21-2014, 08:31 PM

Your sewing room looks fantastic compared to my sewing area! But i do understand overwhelming, so I'll hazard a guess that it's time to take a break and de-stash.

Have fun and good luck. DH and I will be re-arranging my room very soon as it is extremely inefficient and that makes me crazy.
Old 01-21-2014, 08:33 PM

Nana2: We're close by.. I'm across from Klein Oak Great to see someone from these parts!

Last edited by incoming2me; 01-21-2014 at 08:34 PM. Reason: typosRme