Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Pictures > Mission: Organization
Tried to set up a sewing room but.... >

Tried to set up a sewing room but....

Tried to set up a sewing room but....

Old 09-10-2016, 05:13 AM
Power Poster

Something you may want to consider is rolling drawers. Walmart has large rolling drawers that are deep (see through) and on castors. They are usually in sets of 3-4 and you can get a lot of fabric in them. You can pull them out individually or leave them in. About $20.00 for a set.
Old 09-10-2016, 10:12 AM
Power Poster

It is always a big jo..Do a little at a time...
Old 09-13-2016, 02:31 PM

Looking good Dresi!! That looks like a fairly large room, but will you have room for fabric storage?
I ended up installing tall book shelves ( 4 of them) to hold all my cotton quilting fabric and have 6 bins with fleece, drapery, clothing fabrics and projects and patterns... all stuffed into my 10'x9' room. It's crowded AND messy, but I love it! Right now I need to hire a 'bulldozer' to clean it up so I can get busy on Christmas stuff!
Good luck with your lovely room. I'm sure you'll love it!
Old 09-13-2016, 03:22 PM

Take 20 fabric from a tub each night while you watch tv. Measure and label them while sorting. I did an eyeball measurement of fabric in yards - tip of left finger to right shoulder was approximately a yard. That eyeball method is a bit different for everyone, but you only have to measure it once.

You can use a stick on address label to record the measurement.
Old 09-17-2016, 05:04 PM

couple of storage areas we usually forget about--under the bed you can put those plastic tubs for under bed--if the new bed isn't one that sits very high off the floor, you can also put bed risers in (can find at at Bed,Bath & Beyond--college kids use them all the time in dorms) and gain even more space. Also a shelf ABOVE your windows for those items that don't get used all the time uses that "lost" space well. And a shoe hanger on the back of the closet door can work well to keep rolls of stablizer, fusibles, etc (even fabrics rolled).

My sewing space is also used as a bedroom for overflow guests and has a trundle twin size bed--I don't have a mattress on the trundle part--it holds bat scapes and wideback!
Old 09-17-2016, 08:22 PM
Power Poster

Such a serene looking sewing area.
Old 10-10-2017, 08:30 PM

Originally Posted by DresiArnaz View Post
I'm too attached to my sewing space in the living room. I have the machine I quilt with out there, my serger and my mending/piecing/garment machine and my big tackle box full of bobbins, thread and attachments. Everything is right there for spur of the moment mending, piecing, garment construction and quilting.

Right now, the most important thing to me is getting all my spare sewing machines, fabric and batting out of the living room(stashed behind furniture and looks like a warehouse-yuck)and out of the way.

My main gripe is my fabric. I have it in four big bins and four big bags. I want to hang the large pieces up and organize it a bit so it's not so hard to sort through when planning a new project. Seperate the garment fabric and patterns and organize the quilting stuff by color and type. It will take some time and I just can't stand having it scattered out all over the house and lying everywhere while I sort it. I want to be able to piece different things and have them ready to quilt as needed.

I'm also wanting a space in there for a guest too, so not enough room to have everything I would want in a sewing room. There is a twin bed, a nightstand and a dresser in there that will be a space for fabric-the smaller pices folde up just right so I can see it at a glance when I pull the drawer open.

Just finished painting the room and moving stuff in there. Lots of work hopefully can make a peaceful space for my daughter and I to work in soon.
Would a bookcase take the same space as the 4 bins? try it with more shelves. Still look good.
Old 10-11-2017, 05:20 AM

You mentioned patterns and such. I use a tall file cabinet I found used, works great for organizing with very little floor space. Just an idea that might help, can always paint it prettier than black!
Old 10-11-2017, 11:45 AM
Power Poster

That looks terrific! With the bed and a little refrigerator in there, you would never have to leave.