Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: I lost my sewing room, but gained a sewing corner :(

You know what happens when your kids grow up and move out and you take a whole room for your sewing and are all happily settled in? The stinkers move back in! It'll be nice to have him around again for a while, and I have a big kitchen/dining/family room that works just fine. I'll just have to keep it a little neater since I can't just close a door on it now! Check out my storage unit! That's 2 shoe storage units built together and stacked really high! I LOVE it! Oh, and there's my quilt inspector, Max.

Max, QI. I wish he had his head up a little more, he has a great goatee!
    Name:  Attachment-199891.jpe
Views: 71
Size:  32.8 KB

Do you love the shoe rack for a stash rack?
    Name:  Attachment-199893.jpe
Views: 76
Size:  58.9 KB

Blog Entries
    that is great you still have a sewing area, love the cat

Enjoy having your son back. Lots of people complain about it but my father always said, "I didn't have kids to kick them out of the house." We were always welcome to stay provided that we worked a job or spent the whole day looking for a job. I am one of 5 and we all used to work at least one job if not 2 or more. That said, I finished college and then worked for a year and then spent 4 years getting my grad degree (all while working at least a job) but I didn't marry and move out until i was 27.

I'm glad you still have a place to sew and I love your quilt inspector.

hmmm doesn't look a think like MY Max.... My Max is not a quilt inspector. his brother Ziptser is...max just ambles to the sewing room door... looks about with disdain and turns around and leaves.. Zipster on the other hand... cks for thread quality ( as he flosses his teeth as the thread moved thru the machine), presses the fabric at any opportunity( lays on it until it is flat), and Zipster really enjoys carrying mommys thread spools upstairs for her...... * sigh * gotta love em...

* love the shoe caddy*

You probably have more in common with a lot of people here than you think. Our son just came home after being in egypt with the military for a year. He's home one week tomorrow- and it just takes getting used to when you are used to -- hmmmm- the cap always being on the milk- lights turned off when no one is home - you get the idea - so on and on. It doesn't mean we don't love him to pieces - it's just different and takes some getting used to - and yes - how lucky are we that he came home safe and sound. I still can't believe it.

I know exactly how you feel, I have a daughter who has done the same thing to us. I had her room all ready for myself and she moved back!! The only problem I have now is that she is never here but all her furniture is here, I guess she thinks our house should be used as a storage room and I still have no sewing room. I guess one day I'll have my sewing room but my daughter tell us she is never moving out again!!!

Blog Entries
    we have 5 kids between us and they have ALL moved back in at least twice, each time they come back they bring more people with them???? (spouses, children) this time when they all moved out we converted all but 1 of the bedrooms into other rooms lol we kept the smallest one as a guest room

My son is only 9 so I only have a corner too.

Power Poster sueisallaboutquilts's Avatar
    Love your cat!!! Please post one with the goatee someday :D
    lol

Cyn
    Blog Entries
    Nice !

sounds like you worked it all out.

I feel for you! Both of my kids did that for a bit. We had moved to a new house so neither had "their room". They got to use a guest room and I never stopped calling it that. Back to the empty nest....I miss them but the empty next is nice too.

your space looks great.

i don't care what my sewing space looks like just give me a table and a machine and i can manage.

i have a dedicated room for sewing but i prefer to sew in the family room with everyone around me.

Quote Originally Posted by hudgoddess
    You know what happens when your kids grow up and move out and you take a whole room for your sewing and are all happily settled in? The stinkers move back in! It'll be nice to have him around again for a while, and I have a big kitchen/dining/family room that works just fine. I'll just have to keep it a little neater since I can't just close a door on it now! Check out my storage unit! That's 2 shoe storage units built together and stacked really high! I LOVE it! Oh, and there's my quilt inspector, Max.
    I've had that happen! 8-) I call it "Haunting" :lol:

Blog Entries
    Same thing just happened to me! Except my 5 yr old isn't grown so it was a cousin his wife and their 3 kids (5,3, and 18 mths) that moved in with us....just until their house is finished being fixed up....please please please let it be soon!

Blog Entries
    Popgun don't say that! I turned spare room into sewing room and when kids come to visit have to move stuff around to inflate air bed!! I want to put shelves up to make room. Need someone to help! I'd love to hAve kids home but I have tiny house and when they r adults it can get difficult!
    Good luck with it all. Sounds like this is happening more and more. So sad.

Aren't you glad you can be there for family when needed ??
    and close enough if they need to come home...

We also went through this "process" in the last year ourselves. My oldest son, his girlfriend and my grandson moved out Jan. 2010. I even waited 5 months before redoing the extra bedroom for my own studio, "Just in case". I had it to myself for 3 months and was so spoiled!
    In Sept, they split and son moved back in. Now he is still here and grandson spends every other week with us plus we babysit for her when it's her week too. So, it is rather hectic and I sure don't get much time in to sew. But, I wouldn't trade it for anything.

Hahahaha that is so funny. The haunting. How appropiate. Right now I have so much stuff in my house from kids that are gone but not quite- gone but don't want to take all of their stuff but won't let you get rid of it. We have three kids- good kids- two went to college and one to military- but geez I feel like the Hilton. No wait, my husband's been laid off for a year- I feel like the Super 8! ;-)

looks like what just happened to me also. kids and family memebers. I downsized my space but boy do I have stuff stashed everywhere.

Happened to me too, 3 years ago my DD, DGS and DGD moved in with me. Took forever to reorganize everything to make room, but I did do a lot of "purging" of stuff that just seems to accumulate over the years. My sewing/craft area was then condensed into one room and became my sewing/computer/and bird (3 big parrot cages) room. Earlier this year they moved back out and now I have the nicest sewing area, but I must admit, I miss them terribly!!

I was skeptical when I found out my son wanted to move back home. My husband told me...."the kids always have a home here."
    Where did that come from? I had been the protective mother and he had been the distant father. Hmph.....roles sure can change.
    Well, the three years he was with us were the BEST years of fun and bonding we have had! Our son couldn't wait for me to get home so we could talk and laugh together and I couldn't wait to get home to have him to myself before Dad came home. It was wonderful!

Love your cat, and I can see that, like most cats, he has found himself a nice soft spot to 'inspect' from.

Blog Entries
    A little space is better than no space at all!! And I just love your QI!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast