Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
I lost my sewing room, but gained a sewing corner :( >

I lost my sewing room, but gained a sewing corner :(

I lost my sewing room, but gained a sewing corner :(

Old 05-21-2011, 05:41 PM

I think we've all had that happen. When my son moved back temporarily I just asked that he made the bed and picked up after himself. I'd remind him and he'd close the door and say cleaned. But he's also the one who always has 2 loads of clothes, one white and one not white,
Old 05-21-2011, 05:42 PM

Love the swingin" front door when the kids grow up and try to fly on their own :-D
Old 05-21-2011, 09:19 PM
Dee

Nice to have DS back. I think your sewing area is very nice. Happy stitching.
Old 05-23-2011, 01:47 AM

Originally Posted by hudgoddess
You know what happens when your kids grow up and move out and you take a whole room for your sewing and are all happily settled in? The stinkers move back in! It'll be nice to have him around again for a while, and I have a big kitchen/dining/family room that works just fine. I'll just have to keep it a little neater since I can't just close a door on it now! Check out my storage unit! That's 2 shoe storage units built together and stacked really high! I LOVE it! Oh, and there's my quilt inspector, Max.
I love your Max. he looks a little bit like my Bobbie before she died last August. I now have another inspector, Misty in training. She doesn't like me sewing on my machine so she is going to learn that it is mine not for her to put her paws under.
I just looked for her-- Guess what ? she found my latest wall quilt on the sewing machine and has now claimed it for herself. Not for long. Tomorrow I will try to finish quilting it and then put it out of her way.
Old 05-23-2011, 06:33 AM

-You know what happens when your kids grow up and move out and you take a whole room for your sewing and are all happily settled in? The stinkers move back in!

They never leave.
Old 05-24-2011, 12:29 PM

Originally Posted by BobbiG
You get the kids together and explain that at such and such a time you are purging the house of OPS (Other People's Stuff.) No time extension for any reason. It it's important enough to save it's important enough to take. We solved the move back problem by moving to a Senior Mobile Home Community. Guests under 45 could only stay for 45 days per year.
I agree....it's not right for the parents to have to house your belongings. I am 35 and when I was 19 almost 20 and got married I moved all of my things. If I wanted it or not....it went with me. When my kids move out they better take it all because it won't be there when they come back.

We have been in a throw everything out mood lately anyway. I'm tired of having too much "stuff". You can't enjoy yourself if you are constantly having to move around junk. I hate it. We've lived at our house for 11 years now and with 5 kids we have TOO MUCH! We have gotten rid of at least 4 truck loads of "stuff". We have donated to everyone that we knew we could help and everything else went to the Salvation Army because they will take the toys and the clothes and whatever else.

We kind of have a rule that if we are giving it away and you want it then come and get it....we're not storing it. I just gave away a WORKING Maytag portable dishwasher the other day. My Uncle said he'd take it and he knew he better come and get it, so he did. It's not to be mean but if someone expects you to hold it for months then why did you need to get rid of it to begin with? The dishwasher works great. I've never had a problem with it and we've had it for almost 10 years. My Dad and his wife bought a house that had one built in and they had just bought a new portable so they gave me theirs.....so we passed it on to pay it forward. :)