Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Lost in my sewing room

Small town in Northeast Oregon close to Washington and Idaho
    Blog Entries

Lost in my sewing room

I lost a box in my sewing room and cannot find it anywhere. My brother came over yesterday and I thought a new pair of eyes would find it. I opened the door to my room and he said "don't you ever clean your room"? I told him it was clean. I proceeded to show him how I had no room to put anything anywhere but where it was. He laughed. But he couldn't find the box either. He said if I cleaned it up I would find it. I know if I straightened it up, I would misplace more things. lol
    "Be yourself...everyone else is taken."
    Strong people don't put others down...they build them up."
    "Remember that your instincts are more important than rules"

I am with you there. I know where I put things but if anyone goes in and moves anything I might never find it again. I am the same way about my kitchen.

Power Poster
    But think of the treasures you might find in the process!

(I find all sorts of things I had forgotten about when rearranging/cleaning - but not always the object of my search!)

Hope you find what you are looking for.

Maybe you have "borrowers".....

I feel your pain.....

Blog Entries
    I'm in the process of redoing an adjacent room next to my sewing room. So guess where all the room's stuff was stored? I can barely walk through to my sewing machine. Everything is piled on piles. I will never try to redo a house one room at a time while living in it. I know I can't get to anything even if I knew where it was. LOL
    Got fabric?

Blog Entries
    I can relate. I've got a couple of" lost" rulers and some fabric in mine right now.

Blog Entries
    I started a clean up project "found " all kinds of new neat things I forgot I had - now need to cut up my scraps - I understand what you are saying once I clean up I can't find anything .....
    To keep your mind fresh- learn one new thing a day !

Blog Entries
    I am in the process myself --- I set up a folding table today and put baskets under and on it --so far I have found three tape measurers of both types (cloth and metal); six packages of the same brand and size of hanmd sewing needles; 6 (yes, I recounted a few times) half yard pieces of the same fabric --- next quilts main fabric I am thinking;
    my eyeglasses; two magnifying glasses; 12 sharpies; two rolls of Press 'n Seal; two rolls of freezer paper; an unopened pack of printer inks ($67 a pop); and doubles on one quilt magazine --- now I can gift my sister instead of worrying about wheter I will get my copy back. LOL. And that is just starting. I think I need to get my plastic drawers from storage and when they are full Get another set. LOL I know I only started to find my glasses, but I am sure there must be some money in this too! ROFL

Blog Entries
    i bought a gift for my g'kids and for 2 christmases, i could not find it. since i just moved, i found it!! now, i definitely don't recommend moving
    Nancy in western NY
    before you speak THINK
    T is it True? H is it Helpful? I is it Inspiring? N is it Necessary? K is it Kind?

I understand completely, you are not alone.

Quote Originally Posted by jcrow View Post
    I lost a box in my sewing room and cannot find it anywhere. My brother came over yesterday and I thought a new pair of eyes would find it. I opened the door to my room and he said "don't you ever clean your room"? I told him it was clean. I proceeded to show him how I had no room to put anything anywhere but where it was. He laughed. But he couldn't find the box either. He said if I cleaned it up I would find it. I know if I straightened it up, I would misplace more things. lol
    You know, if you have too much fabric, I'm sure you could find someone to help lighten the load!

Wait, what am I saying? There's NO SUCH THING as too much fabric!! ;-) Your sewing room sounds a lot like mine...isn't it heavenly? I love my sewing clutter, it's my little "nest of creativity". LOL

I know what you mean. I spend loads of time re organizing my small room only to spend hours or days looking for something afterward. I have to lighten my fabric load, I have way too much for a small quilt room.
    I know everything I WANT to know!

I sew in so many rooms of my house I have multiples of small sewing notions. But I really identify with not always being able to find things. I had white strips cut for last Block borders on GD quilt. Couldn't find them anywhere. Looked until time was getting short so we went and purchased white Kona and made more strips. No sooner did I get the last strips on and was laying them in the Lrg Plastic tote her project was in and I looked in a grocery bag in the tote I thought was empty. Nope, the stupid sack had been hiding the original strips from me all along. NEW RULE FOR MY SEWING - DON'T LEAVE STUFF IN PLASTIC SACKS, not even in the project totes!
    Cheryl Robinson
    http://www.silverneedlestitching.com
    APQS Millenium Longarm with Intelliquilter

I also feel your pain. I have started a major clean-out of closets and dresser drawers in preparation of reorganizing my sewing room. I wanted space to put things that are in the sewing room that are really "sewing" but everything else was so stuffed that there was no room. I am proud to say I am now the owner of EMPTY SPACES in closets and dresser drawers!! And I found some fabric I had been looking for for over a year.

So hang in there - I am sure your box will eventually turn up!

As my mother would say..it will be in the last place you look for it!!

Oh, yeah! Completely understand! I bought a tiny longarm ruler which I've never once seen since I brought it into the house! I know it's here somewhere....and I've been dying to play with it, ever since last summer, when I bought it!

i have to confess that I keep my house immaculately clean and I still lose things... go figure. I just set it down for a moment. LOL. If a room functions for you and it is clean (as in not dirty), it need not be "tidy." I personally prefer tidy but some people work better with a bit of chaos around them. Good luck finding the box.

Blog Entries
    The first thing I have learned to do is to lift up things. My most common "misplacement" involves covering up an item with something else -- paper, a folded up quilt top, a pile of magazines, another box.......

Power Poster
    Hope that box turns up for you. Do know what you mean about finding and misplacing things. I have cleaned my sewing room moved something because maybe this new place would work better and then can't find it and keep going back to where it has been forever. So silly to rearrange sometimes, especially when it's working.

My DH refers to my sewing room as "The Black Hole"

I recently did a pretty good organizing job in my sewing room. Random things I found: (1) three pairs of those stork thread clipping scissors, in addition to my favorite thread snippers which I thought had fallen into the wastebasket; (2) a quilt top I had completely forgotten about, which I have now finished, and which I love; (3) more patterns than I can make if I live to be 100..... but at least they are now all tidily stowed in my bookcase and the projects are each assigned their little space awaiting my efforts... (4) three coffee mugs with God knows what kind of disgusting stuff in the bottom.... I'm sure I'll just start messing it up again, but at least I find some good things when I clean!!
    -Chris-
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Blessed are the children of quilters, for they shall inherit the quilts....

It does not do well, Harry, to dwell on the dreams....and forget to live. - Albus Dumbledore

I must be weird. Before I start a project, I HAVE to clean up my work area. Otherwise, I just don't feel comfortable! I also cut up all my scraps into usable shapes as soon as I finish a project, whether it's a block or a quilt. Not that I don't lose things ocasionally....I do! I keep my fabrics in small plastic tubs, by color. I keep batting, books, rulers, and completed quilts in a chest of drawers. I keep the rest of my fabric in a closet. We put shelves from top to bottom on both ends, and they hold a lot! My machine(s) sit on the floor. Current projects hang from hangers, sometimes in a plastic bag if the pieces are small. It all works for me. Right now there's a quilt (in pieces) layed out on the floor....my design wall!
    psumom

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by jcrow View Post
    Your box might be in my sewing room LOL!!!!! hope you find it

Blog Entries
    Good for you and others! I am disorganized at the moment --- living in unofficial son's family room and out of baskets from my storage unit combined with work schedule has me wondering if a tent might've been the better alternative. lol top off i am not the most organized at the best of times.

Quote Originally Posted by psumom View Post
    I must be weird. Before I start a project, I HAVE to clean up my work area. Otherwise, I just don't feel comfortable! I also cut up all my scraps into usable shapes as soon as I finish a project, whether it's a block or a quilt. Not that I don't lose things ocasionally....I do! I keep my fabrics in small plastic tubs, by color. I keep batting, books, rulers, and completed quilts in a chest of drawers. I keep the rest of my fabric in a closet. We put shelves from top to bottom on both ends, and they hold a lot! My machine(s) sit on the floor. Current projects hang from hangers, sometimes in a plastic bag if the pieces are small. It all works for me. Right now there's a quilt (in pieces) layed out on the floor....my design wall!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast