Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Lost in my sewing room

Quote Originally Posted by crafty pat View Post
    I am with you there. I know where I put things but if anyone goes in and moves anything I might never find it again. I am the same way about my kitchen.
    I always tell me family "It may be a mess but it's MY mess". I know where stuff is... usually... sometimes... LOL! But doesn't it make you mad when you just KNOW something is there & then cannot find it?!? Grrrrr! My large ruler is playing hide & seek with me nowadays... super grrrrr!
    (`v)
    `*..*
    .*).*)
    (.(. (..`..♥ rebecca

Quote Originally Posted by QuiltnNan View Post
    i bought a gift for my g'kids and for 2 christmases, i could not find it. since i just moved, i found it!! now, i definitely don't recommend moving
    That happened to me when my kids were little. I was so proud of myself! I bought them some really nifty house slippers for Christmas, "put them up" & didn't find them until we moved 3 years later! Needless to say, they slippers no longer fit the kids & I thought I'd lost my mind!
    (`v)
    `*..*
    .*).*)
    (.(. (..`..♥ rebecca

Quote Originally Posted by tatavw01 View Post
    Your box might be in my sewing room LOL!!!!! hope you find it
    I was thinking the same thing about all the missing items listed in the various posts. All the "stuff" in my sewing room can't possibly be mine... LOL!!!
    (`v)
    `*..*
    .*).*)
    (.(. (..`..♥ rebecca

My Mothers favorite motto was, You can find it if you clean up, it has been working for me for 70 plus years. I tend to hide things on myself being too tidy. lol
    pat design

Long story! Our club had a pizza box project. Each person was to make a square for each other person in the chain. Each one had their directions, requests, fabric in a pizza box. I was the second one to get Margaret's box. On the next Sunday evening, I wanted to get started, and couldn't find the box. After hours of searching, I surmised that it had been carried to recycling, as the last place I had seen it was on my kitchen table, and we had gone to recycling on Saturday, and I remembered seeing other recycling on the table as it was being collected to go out the door. I talked to my son, the town supervisor, and asked him if we could go to the town hall and look in the dumpster there before the Veolia people picked it up on Monday. He said, "Not tonight. I'm watching the super bowl." Next morning we went to the town hall and the dumpster was empty. So I went to the Veolia place in Medford, 15 miles away, and they said they didn't pick up at our town hall. Try Marshfield: 25 miles away in the other direction. (Good thing we have a Prius.) This man was at least sympathetic, He took my name and stuff and said my chances of finding it were slim to none.
    After a day or so, I had to tell the lady that I had lost her box, and she told me where to buy more fabric for her squares. The lady who had already made a square offered to make another. Cost me more than $50. So everything is cool.
    A few weeks later, I was cleaning, and happened to look behind a small dresser, and there it was. I had looked there on that fateful Sunday evening, but it was dark back there, and I didn't see it then. There was a "pile" of other projects on top of this dresser, and the pizza box had slid off to the back and was standing on end back there.
    Well, Margaret paid me $30 for the extra fabric I now had, and she made her quilt bigger.

Mavis, that's hilarious! I've misplaced a pkg of 100 bobbins for my embroidery machine. I'm going to go out and check behind the dresser I made into an ironing board and see if it slid off, LOL! I've been looking for weeks. I did find the graduation card with "2012" emblazoned across the front that I got for my DGD.....after I had bought another one and given it to her with her quilt. BTW, I read a great tip on this board about a week ago that suggested putting up wire shelves around the room for more storage space . I just put up my first set day before yesterday, and now have my batting pkgs up above. Now I have more room under the LA for storage and I put the labels down so I can see what size batting I have and how many rolls. I will be moving stuff out of the middle of the room and to it's new home under the LA. Many thanks to the person that suggested the wire shelves! I put up an 8 ft shelf and I'm going to buy more next time I go to Lowes. The 8 ft shelf was about $20 including the hardware to put it up.

I used to live in Marshfield years ago!

My sewing room sounds a lot like yours, but that is ok because we like it like that and it is OUR SEWING ROOM. But just take one item at a time and look under and around it then you will find what you are looking for. Good luck

I ordered a couple of rotary cutting blades from Harbor Freight along with some other items. Took them into my sewing room and put them away... found everything except the blades, which were not anywhere to be found. Ordered some more a week later and when they arrived, took them into the SRoom, as was putting them away where I had sworn I put the previous ones,...looked UP, and there, hanging on the wall were the original blades! Its easy to misplace stuff in my SR.

Small town in Northeast Oregon close to Washington and Idaho
    Blog Entries
    Sylviak, the wire shelves sound like something I need. I have dressers, bookcases, storage units, desks, rubbermaid tubs, fat quarter containers (holds like 50 of them and I have 9 of them) plus lots of other containers, but everything is on the floor. I even bought a long dresser and put my rectangular ironing board on it so I would have more storage. I have two long cafeteria type tables for my cutting board (24"x72") and below is full of everything. It's not messy. It's full. I think if I would use my walls, I could be more organized. I have wall hangings on my walls to make my room look homey, but forget that. I need more space. One thing that I need to do is clean out my closet. I have all my skinny clothes in there. Size small. And I'm not small anymore. And all the clothes are out of date. If I took them to the Salvation Army or used them for quilting, I could buy some storage equipment and put them in my closet and it would really solve a lot of my problems. It's not that I have too much, it's that the room is small. It's the smallest bedroom in the house. When I first started quilting when we moved here, I didn't have much so I took the little room. And now there is no way I would pack up and move to a bigger room. Way too much hassle. But the wire hanging shelves is what I need. Thanks for the idea. And I still haven't found that box!!
    "Be yourself...everyone else is taken."
    Strong people don't put others down...they build them up."
    "Remember that your instincts are more important than rules"

I always find what I'm looking for when I have to start looking for something else!

Quote Originally Posted by BellaBoo View Post
    I'm in the process of redoing an adjacent room next to my sewing room. So guess where all the room's stuff was stored? I can barely walk through to my sewing machine. Everything is piled on piles. I will never try to redo a house one room at a time while living in it. I know I can't get to anything even if I knew where it was. LOL
    I feel your pain. lol About 17 years ago, we built a new country kitchen and dining room onto the back of our house. At the same time, we converted the old kitchen into a 1st floor laundry room and made some other structural changes. (The house was Spanish style when we bought it and had a lot of archways that we changed to regular doorways. We also repainted and recarpeted every room in the house. I said I would never live in a house that was under construction/renovation again. So, 2 years after that, we remodeled our upstairs bathroom and had new ceramic tile floors put in the bathroom, kitchen and entry hall. Then 3 years ago we built 12 x 23 room onto the back of the house for my sewing/quilting studio. A little over a year ago, we took all the carpet out of the bedrooms and replaced it with hardwood-look laminate flooring. I have told my husband that that was absolutely the last building/remodeling project. I'm getting too old for this. I'm almost to the point of saying if anything needs repainting, hire somebody. lol

When you are in a constant state of construction, there is always something you can't find. I spend half my time looking for things!

I have the same issue. My rotary cutter has been lost for 3 weeks now, I have searched high and low can't find it. I know if I purchase another I'll find it the same day! Good luck!!

So much fabric, so little space...
    http://trenbeathranch.com

Looks like we all lose things. I lost a 5 yard cut of fabric not too long ago. I looked all over the sewing room for it - in things, under things, ..... One day, I absently looked in a stack of fabric I had looked at several times and there it was!

Hope you find your box soon.

Blog Entries
    House Rule #1. DON'T TOUCH MY STUFF.
    no act of kindness, no matter how small, is ever wasted. Aesop

Blog Entries
    I have problems finding things too but it's usually my perception. I call my DH into the room and tell him I'm looking for something and he can usually see it. My room is fairly organized but things can be right in front of me and I don't see it. Not sure why this is.

Example - I just finished a t-shirt quilt for my grandson's graduation (if I can figure out how to post a pic I will). I was ready to "de-fuzz" it and couldn't find my lint roller. I looked in both of my rooms - no luck. So I had to have DH look and he found it and it was basically within my sight....
    Life's More Fun with a Doxie !!
    ​Have a Great Day !
    Vicki G
    https://www.facebook.com/vickigdesigns
    https://www.etsy.com/shop/VickiGDesigns

Quote Originally Posted by Pat625 View Post
    As my mother would say..it will be in the last place you look for it!!
    True story. But then again why would you continue looking for something you have already found? LOL

I have a little cedar chest that has held treasures/important papers/wheat pennies for about 44 years. I need to find it because it has housed my birth certificate that long. Do you think I can find it? It has to be in my bedroom...
    Anita in Northfield, MN

Try looking for something else. It seems to work for me especially if I can't find the second thing I am looking for.
    Carol

That sounds familiar. I have lost an almost finished Christmas applique piece and its two companion pieces, already finished. I have torn everything out of my fabric closet and the bed is piled 3 feet high with stuff from the closet. Guess I'll sleep on the sofa tonight and tomorrow night. . . or until I get it all cleaned up.

Quote Originally Posted by psumom View Post
    I must be weird. Before I start a project, I HAVE to clean up my work area. Otherwise, I just don't feel comfortable! I also cut up all my scraps into usable shapes as soon as I finish a project, whether it's a block or a quilt. Not that I don't lose things ocasionally....I do! I keep my fabrics in small plastic tubs, by color. I keep batting, books, rulers, and completed quilts in a chest of drawers. I keep the rest of my fabric in a closet. We put shelves from top to bottom on both ends, and they hold a lot! My machine(s) sit on the floor. Current projects hang from hangers, sometimes in a plastic bag if the pieces are small. It all works for me. Right now there's a quilt (in pieces) layed out on the floor....my design wall!
    I thought quilters like you only came in dreams. Congratulations. But seriously...should we call a doctor or something for you.{{{{{{{{{only kidding}}}}}}}}}}}} I look up to people like you to try and change my ways, but I get sidetracked and never finish. My room would almost qualify for the hoarders show on TV, except that I do have a path to the sewing machine, my stash and to the desk.
    One step at a time, always forward.

I'm sure you're all acquainted with Mahoody. He's the little man who lives in your refrigerator and makes sure the light comes on when you open the door and he makes sure it goes off when you close the door. Well, he has an evil sister named, Mahoodia. She's the one who delights in moving things when you put them down and then hiding them so you will have to search and search to find what you need. Eventually, she seems to know when to put things in a place where you wil suddenly discover them. If you ignore her for a day or two, she'll get bored and puts the objects back where they belong. Just hang in there!!

Girl I hear ya on that!! I've recently moved and my sewing room is the last to sort and put away! Honey it looks like Hancocks and JoAnns exploded!!
    Thank You Lord for answering my prayers, in this I am truely blessed!

Actually a clean sewing room is much easier to find things, I know I lose things all the time in mine. I wish I could keep a clean sewing room but alas the piles grow and I know what is in them but when I go to find things I can't! and boy how it has cost me! I misplaced a hand appliqued strip from a guild raffle quilt that was all finished could not find it so did a second one. When I cleaned my sewing room it was found in the pile I knew it was in but even though I looked through that pile 100 times I could not find it. Word to the wise work towards a clean and neat sewing room it is much more fun to work in. (I'm still working towards that day)

It really sounds like you are talking about my sewing room. At the moment I can't find the lid to a little plastic container I put some hand sewing supplies in. It doesn't help that I had to move everything off of my sewing table so that it could be used for a garage sale. Plus there are all the new purchases from a shop hop I just piled in there. Plus there are the projects and purchases from my Ireland trip. One of these days I need to get it all cleaned up and organized but I'm like you that I am out of space.

Quote Originally Posted by jcrow View Post
    I lost a box in my sewing room and cannot find it anywhere. My brother came over yesterday and I thought a new pair of eyes would find it. I opened the door to my room and he said "don't you ever clean your room"? I told him it was clean. I proceeded to show him how I had no room to put anything anywhere but where it was. He laughed. But he couldn't find the box either. He said if I cleaned it up I would find it. I know if I straightened it up, I would misplace more things. lol

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2