Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Pictures > Mission: Organization
What is just ONE thing you wish different or had known beforehand? >

What is just ONE thing you wish different or had known beforehand?

What is just ONE thing you wish different or had known beforehand?

Old 02-01-2013, 06:25 PM

I would say if you are using plastic storage bins to try to get them all the same. I have several different ones for different things but unfortunately I didn't bother to make sure they were all the same so they don't stack very well.
Old 02-02-2013, 05:15 AM

if your board is for a design wall I bought headliner from Hancock Fabrics it's about $15 a yard but wait for 50% off it works better than felt
Old 12-12-2016, 08:38 AM

Instead of bucket, pick up a plastic 3 drawer unit. same space but easier to find what looking for.
Old 12-12-2016, 08:40 AM

Originally Posted by Lori S View Post
I wish I had put doors on all of my fabric storage units and had more shelves , so when I pull out a piece I am not disrupting such a high stack.
cut extra shelves and arrange them closer.
Old 12-12-2016, 06:34 PM

Make it as pretty as you can! You have to like the look, not just the function.

Choose a paint color that's light and neutral but cheery, so that you can accessorize in pops of color. (I chose pale yellow, and I accessorize in turquoise and black & white.) Your sewing room will get so "busy" with color and stuff, that you'll appreciate some uniformity of color in the furniture. I painted mine white, and have lots of IKEA furniture.

Lighting is crucial! Do you have enough outlets and surge protectors?

Put your sewing machine in front a window with a view, if at all possible.

Best thing you can do for comfort is make sure your machine table, cutting table, and ironing table (board) are all at the most comfortable height for you.

Most of all, take your time. Live with the first arrangement a couple weeks or so and ask yourself if it's working or what would make it better. Don't settle. Just resolve that it will be your happy place eventually, but nothing has to be set in stone immediately. If you rush, you'll regret it. I was happy to let my room evolve and suit my style.

I also like to label everything with similar looking labels. You can find my sewing room in a different thread.
Old 12-12-2016, 06:41 PM

Ummm, I just noticed this thread was started in 2013. I'm pretty sure you finished your room many times over since you posted back then!!
Old 12-12-2016, 07:00 PM

An old lingerie chest has good storage with its multiple drawers. I had thread on pegboard for years, but I noticed how dusty it got. Now I have it in plastic shoe boxes, I use white recipe cards and a marking pen to label them and tape it on the inside on the end of the box so it's visible.

I have chest from the tool dept - has 20 small drawers for all little items and each has 1/2 recipe card taped on the inside so I can easily find what I want.

I have my bachelor uncle's Formica table from the 50's on risers and 32x58 cutting mat fits perfectly. I can get around it on 3 sides. Got large totes stacked underneath and some stormy day, I'll pull them out and find all kinds of things I've forgotten about.

I have wire wire shelving unit on wheels and my neighbor gave me Avon cardboard boxes that fit so got most of my small fabric in there, large pieces are in a tote under the table. Not the best system, hope to improve some day.
Old 12-13-2016, 05:45 AM

Originally Posted by zozee View Post
Ummm, I just noticed this thread was started in 2013. I'm pretty sure you finished your room many times over since you posted back then!!
Yes, I noticed the date at the beginning too, but read again.....still think that idea about triangle free-standing pegboard is brilliant! And we are always rearranging, organizing our space so the ideas, motivation to do, is good to review occasionally. But I wonder how the original poster finally finished.......
Old 12-13-2016, 07:29 AM

The one main thing I wish I had known years ago is that turning the dining room into the sewing room was absolutely the BEST use of this room.
I sew much more that I dine!
(this is a timeless question, imo)
Old 01-02-2017, 07:50 AM

Back when I bought this house I thought the basement would be large enough for my sewing room. Since then I've added a design wall, enlarged my cutting table as well as upgraded my quilt machine and frame so now its a bit cramped but workable. The one thing I wish I had done before I moved everything in would have been insulated the walls before adding the chipboard on the machine side of the basement as my one heat source is in the other half of the basement. And I wished I had my contractor level the cement floor on the machine side. It was a bear to get the quilt frame leveled. I know they could have poured some special type of leveling cement to accomplish this. Plus the floor on the machine side slants downward at one end. When I had another doorway made between the 2 rooms it was noticeable. At least I did have additional wall plugs added for all the machines.