Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: What is the perfect size/setup for your sewing room/laundry?

What is the perfect size/setup for your sewing room/laundry?

What is the prefect set up for a LA along with your sewing machine and serger, ironing board, cutting table fabric storage, notions, And possibly your laundry room?! Has anyone used a professional space planner to figure this out? please only reply if you you think you can share your perfect design that you are totally happy with as I want to cut to the chase! Thank you

Are you building the space or do you have the space but trying to figure out if everying thing will fit?

That long arm alone is going to take up a lot of space. I would make sure that you allow a minimum of 36" around its' perimeter for space to walk around it. So...if the long arm machine is 12' long then add 6 additional to the length of the room . Width of the long arm plus 6 feet.

I used to do space planning for commercial offices. 36" is the minimum space for foot traffic-movement.

sandy
    Sandygirl

Janome 9900 / Janome 9700 / Janome Decor 3050 / Janome 1100D serger
    Singer Centennial model (inherited from my late, fav aunt!)

Quote Originally Posted by love to sew View Post
    What is the prefect set up for a LA along with your sewing machine and serger, ironing board, cutting table fabric storage, notions, And possibly your laundry room?! Has anyone used a professional space planner to figure this out? please only reply if you you think you can share your perfect design that you are totally happy with as I want to cut to the chase! Thank you
    if you want to "cut to the chase"... you need to provide much more details. Better yet, hire an architect and pay them to build and plan the space for your project. They will ask all of the correct questions and then hand you the bill to complete it. We are amatuers.

The "perfect" solution is like finding your "perfect spouse".

sandy
    Sandygirl

Blog Entries
    Believe it or not, your question is pretty generic...for example, your sewing machine set up may be in a small cabinet or a large built-in desk...ironing board or ironing station? Not all sewing rooms are created equal...especially if you are including a laundry room?

I am in the midst of doing a build out over a two car garage and have done a ton of googling of dream sewing studios, but I have not seen any professional planners...how about graph paper?
    attitude is everything...the rest will fall into place.

There's a book called "Creating Your Perfect Quilting Space" by Lois L. Hallock. It has a lot of good ideas and pictures of different rooms as well as space planning diagrams.

Everyone's "perfect" is different. And I find my "perfect" layout changes at times. When we moved in our first house, I got graph paper and measured all the rooms and then our furniture. I cut little pieces out the size of the furniture and laid it on the graph paper to see how everything would fit. It worked great!
    Patrice S

Great answer! thank you.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sandygirl View Post
    if you want to "cut to the chase"... you need to provide much more details. Better yet, hire an architect and pay them to build and plan the space for your project. They will ask all of the correct questions and then hand you the bill to complete it. We are amatuers.

The "perfect" solution is like finding your "perfect spouse".

sandy

Quote Originally Posted by cashs_mom View Post
    Everyone's "perfect" is different. And I find my "perfect" layout changes at times. When we moved in our first house, I got graph paper and measured all the rooms and then our furniture. I cut little pieces out the size of the furniture and laid it on the graph paper to see how everything would fit. It worked great!
    I know about the graph paper and have done that before. But if you could design the space with all the above in mind my question should be put all those things in and how big of a space would you need? and what would the proper placement be?

There are a few examples of sewing spaces on Houzz. You can look there and connect with a professional if you'd like. There's a couple of dual spaces that may be of interest.

My current space is about 19'x20'. I have a longarm, sewing machine in large cabinet, and large cutting table, as well as lots of shelving lining the walls. There's room to set up my ironing board, but I don't have a serger and my laundry room is separate. It does the job, but I wish it were bigger!

I know about the graph paper and have done that before. But if you could design the space with all the above in mind my question should be put all those things in and how big of a space would you need? and what would the proper placement be?
    It's still a personal thing. You still haven't told us if you are building or revamping a space and what your size/$$$ constraints are. It makes a lot of difference. IMHO, if you are building and don't have constraints on size or $$$$, go big. You can always use extra storage and maybe a lounge TV area.
    Patrice S

As already said, there is so much here that is unknown ... and personal!

What is perfect and right for one person, is so wrong for the next.

If I were you, I would start out with my dream list of what I want.
    As you do your current sewing, laundry, etc. think as though you are working in your new space.
    What is needed? Do you have a place to put this? or that?
    What is the ideal layout/flow for YOU? etc. etc.
    How many others would be using this space eg. just you? children? husband? etc. all affects what would be perfect!

I did this in planning serious renos to my former home, in particular for the kitchen, eating area and laundry. Once done and I lived with it, I had absolutely NO regrets, even though the one kitchen cupboard guy told me I was all wrong. Guess what? he did not get the job!!! Instead someone who was willing to work with me, and help perfect it did. In the end, there was very little change from what I had planned out.

Yes, we all may not be helping you "cut to the chase" as you want.
    However, if you really want to have the no regrets later ... you really need to take the time and figure it out yourself!
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Sew many ideas ... just sew little time!!

I agree with the others. We cannot help you design a space when we don't know what you are designing for. Sewing and quilting is so generic. Give us a list of the items you have and their size. Then list the items you want and their projected sizes. Do you already have a room? Are you building or adding on a space? What size can you go up to? Do you have a large stash, or very little fabric hanging around? Do you want a place to store a lot of batting for your longarm, or are you going to buy when you need to quilt something? I really like Warm & Natural and buy it every time JoAnn's has it on sale for 50% off.

As to myself, I have a wood dining table as my sewing machine table. It isn't the best answer, but at least I have a lot of space on both sides. I can look out a window if I want to. My iron is in this room. My longarm is sitting in this room, along with all my batting and all my quilting thread in roll around plastic carts under the longarm. I, also, have my quilting rulers, which I don't know how to use yet and other miscellaneous stuff in a couple of roll around plastic drawer assemblies. I have a separate room for all my fabric and kits, (this covers 3 of the walls on storage shelves) as well as 2 other sewing machines, a serger and a large, 6 ft, cutting table. It's one of those plastic ones that people use as buffet tables or overflow tables and I have the risers to bring it up to a good cutting height. It's in the center of the room so that I can walk around it. I bought one of those really large, about 60 inches long cutting mats to go on top of the table. It's great. I, also, have machine embroidery thread and size 50 piecing thread, all in labeled storage boxes with handles that I got from JoAnn's, on another storage rack in that room. Does it really work for me? It's a lot better than what I had, which was an 11 x 12 bedroom, but I really want to have an area that will have a couch so that my husband can spend time with me there, instead of wanting me in the house. Do I know what the best arrangement would be? Not really. It's still a work in progress.
    Sew a Little, Love a Lot & Live like you were dying!

Pls read the posts. You are not being helpful but you are asking for help. ...sigh.

ok I assume that you have a large finished basement with the washer and dryer and that is your open space filled will opportunity. Good luck.
    sandy
    Sandygirl

No, not the case, I guess I am dreaming. I was thinking if we build a new house and asked the architect for a sewing room. (last time I remodeled even thou I increased the space from what was planned by the architect and he looked at me like I was crazy, it wasn't big enough!) At the time I did not have a LA but was thinking about it and now I have one. So the LA is in a room off from the laundry room and I quilt and sew clothes (dresses for little girls for back to school clothing drive)therefore the serger. In another room where I also have my computer for my home office. (used for personal finance and small rental business) So I need to design a space for the LA, horn sewing table 64 x 38 with a 22 x 16 extending for the serger, horn cutting table 40 x 72 with both leaves up, bookcase 48 wide by 14 deep, another cupboard 48 wide by 20 deep and a rolling clothes rack for the dresses 30 wide x 20 deep.. I have the large ironing board from costco, but would like to get more like an ironing station I have seen posted here. So it is not just will it all fit but how it is arranged for best usage.

A professional space planner will measure all of your furniture etc and map it out for you on a CAD program. They should work with the architect for building the space. Be prepared to answer TONS of inquiring questions. Make a LIST of your wants, needs, and dreams of how you want it too. What works with your current setup...what does not work. YOU have to put in a lot of input into the project. I did this for a living ( i lasted 2 years) and frankly..it is tedious...so I quit .

Collect photos of spaces that you like...make an folder and keeping adding to it.take notes...this is the kind of homework only you can do.

Sandy
    Last edited by Sandygirl; 12-29-2016 at 09:31 AM.
    Sandygirl

A professional space planner will measure all of your furniture etc and map it out for you on a CAD program. They should work with the architect for builti g the soace. Be prepared to answer TONS of inquiring questions.
    Sandy
    Yes, you are spot on that is what I will have to do. Do you know the best way to find a good space planner?

Yes, you are spot on that is what I will have to do. Do you know the best way to find a good space planner?

I give up....good luck.
    sandy
    Sandygirl

Sure, spend your money on a professional space planner and/or architect.
    They can ask questions and take a lot of your time. But will they truly understand what you want? need?

However, keep in mind .... they are going to design it their way.
    You have specifics that YOU want and they are not going to fully understand.
    You know whether you work from left to right or right to left.
    And what you need close at hand. What you need at the same time.
    What you seldom need and could be stored away.
    Also, what other things you may wish to add in the future ... eg. more machines? bigger machines? etc.

Why not save your $$$$$$$ and take the time to measure things yourself?
    and sketch/graph it all out yourself?
    and get what you want?

You have been given so many good and valuable suggestions as to how to DIY ... and sure, maybe pull in the pros after you have it figured out as to what you want. But if they do not understand sewing, quilting, seamstressing, etc ............. they will still never get it the way that YOU want it! And even if they do understand, it will still be that they think will work, and nothing to do with how you work and what you want.

Yes, it might take some WORK on your part .... but gosh darn, it just might get you what you want.
    Of course, the downfall is that you won't have anyone to blame, but yourself!
    Last edited by QuiltE; 12-29-2016 at 09:51 AM.

I give up....good luck.
    sandy
    Yup .... we are probably all wasting our breath! (.... and fingers!)
    Last edited by QuiltE; 12-29-2016 at 09:52 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by QuiltE View Post
    Yup .... we are probably all wasting our breath! (.... and fingers!)
    No, you didn't waste your time. I didn't mean to be difficult. Thank you to all of you who responded. And thank you QuiltE for the best advice.

I have RA and stiffen up if I stay in one position (such as sewing) for too long. I put my pressing station across the room from my machine so I'd be forced to get up and move occasionally. Moving helped me from stiffening up so much. It was much more convenient to have a pressing station next to my machine, but I'll take the lack of stiffness over the convenience any time.

Blog Entries
    No, you didn't waste your time. I didn't mean to be difficult. Thank you to all of you who responded. And thank you QuiltE for the best advice.
    Here is the thing, we all make so when we have to with different sized spaces. Some because we like small areas, others because that's all we have. Even to design it yourself you have to decide on how close you want you sewing areas, do you want them all in one place, what kid of storage you want/need, in your laundry the same applies, mine is a small closed built in my kitchen with shelves on the wall, that's all the room I have so I make do. Do research, on this board alone many, many people have posted pics of their sewing areas, check them out, see what features they may have thought about and you didn't but would like to add to your area. Check the web for laundry areas, sewing rooms, etc. People aren't trying to be difficult, they are just trying to help but since we don't know you or exactly what you want its hard to help. Even if you are designing you'll have to have some type of square area to tell the designer so that they know where to place things. Before I'd hire someone I'd do some googling and some searching on here and try and decide what all I want in my area. Its just like buying a new machine, its a personal thing, get to know what all is offered and what you want so that you can make an informed decision that's right for you.

For me, I'd need areas to make quilts, make clothes, embroidery machines, cutters, storage my serger, etc. See where I'm going.
    Judy

Quote Originally Posted by gramajo View Post
    I have RA and stiffen up if I stay in one position (such as sewing) for too long. I put my pressing station across the room from my machine so I'd be forced to get up and move occasionally. Moving helped me from stiffening up so much. It was much more convenient to have a pressing station next to my machine, but I'll take the lack of stiffness over the convenience any time.
    I've known a couple chiros who were sewers/quilters. They all said that you should put your ironing area away from your machine just so you have to get up and move. I've had mine this way for years and other than and bit of discomfort if I'm doing a piecing project and sewing all weekend, I really have no back problems from sewing.
    Patrice S

I converted my double garage into my quilting room. The actual part that I use for quilting is 18' x 18' with another 5' where the washer/dryer, bikes and shelves are.

In my quilting room I have a 15" midarm quilting machine with 8 1/2' frame, a 4' x 8' cutting storage table, a Horn sewing cabinet, a regular desk that I use for my embroidery and serger area, and a rolling ironing station. I have plenty of room. Oh yea, I let my wife have a double hanging rack for some of her clothes in my quilting room.

David
    Last edited by mlsa; 01-05-2017 at 04:59 AM.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast