Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Pictures > Mission: Organization
What is the perfect size/setup for your sewing room/laundry? >

What is the perfect size/setup for your sewing room/laundry?

What is the perfect size/setup for your sewing room/laundry?

Old 12-29-2016, 10:19 AM

Originally Posted by QuiltE View Post
Yup .... we are probably all wasting our breath! (.... and fingers!)
No, you didn't waste your time. I didn't mean to be difficult. Thank you to all of you who responded. And thank you QuiltE for the best advice.
Old 01-01-2017, 10:13 PM

I have RA and stiffen up if I stay in one position (such as sewing) for too long. I put my pressing station across the room from my machine so I'd be forced to get up and move occasionally. Moving helped me from stiffening up so much. It was much more convenient to have a pressing station next to my machine, but I'll take the lack of stiffness over the convenience any time.
Old 01-02-2017, 07:02 AM

Originally Posted by love to sew View Post
No, you didn't waste your time. I didn't mean to be difficult. Thank you to all of you who responded. And thank you QuiltE for the best advice.
Here is the thing, we all make so when we have to with different sized spaces. Some because we like small areas, others because that's all we have. Even to design it yourself you have to decide on how close you want you sewing areas, do you want them all in one place, what kid of storage you want/need, in your laundry the same applies, mine is a small closed built in my kitchen with shelves on the wall, that's all the room I have so I make do. Do research, on this board alone many, many people have posted pics of their sewing areas, check them out, see what features they may have thought about and you didn't but would like to add to your area. Check the web for laundry areas, sewing rooms, etc. People aren't trying to be difficult, they are just trying to help but since we don't know you or exactly what you want its hard to help. Even if you are designing you'll have to have some type of square area to tell the designer so that they know where to place things. Before I'd hire someone I'd do some googling and some searching on here and try and decide what all I want in my area. Its just like buying a new machine, its a personal thing, get to know what all is offered and what you want so that you can make an informed decision that's right for you.

For me, I'd need areas to make quilts, make clothes, embroidery machines, cutters, storage my serger, etc. See where I'm going.
Old 01-02-2017, 09:37 AM

Originally Posted by gramajo View Post
I have RA and stiffen up if I stay in one position (such as sewing) for too long. I put my pressing station across the room from my machine so I'd be forced to get up and move occasionally. Moving helped me from stiffening up so much. It was much more convenient to have a pressing station next to my machine, but I'll take the lack of stiffness over the convenience any time.
I've known a couple chiros who were sewers/quilters. They all said that you should put your ironing area away from your machine just so you have to get up and move. I've had mine this way for years and other than and bit of discomfort if I'm doing a piecing project and sewing all weekend, I really have no back problems from sewing.
Old 01-05-2017, 04:57 AM

I converted my double garage into my quilting room. The actual part that I use for quilting is 18' x 18' with another 5' where the washer/dryer, bikes and shelves are.

In my quilting room I have a 15" midarm quilting machine with 8 1/2' frame, a 4' x 8' cutting storage table, a Horn sewing cabinet, a regular desk that I use for my embroidery and serger area, and a rolling ironing station. I have plenty of room. Oh yea, I let my wife have a double hanging rack for some of her clothes in my quilting room.

David

Last edited by mlsa; 01-05-2017 at 04:59 AM.
Old 01-07-2017, 07:04 AM

I have a 12 x 20 attic room and if I had a choice i would like an adjoining storage room and a sewing room. 3 walls of shelves for fabric. 10 x 12 in storage room at least. In sewing room, space for sorting, sewing machine space, cutting table and ironing dresser. Also bookcases for books and tools. Plug in ceiling or floor so can place pieces in middle of room without having cords to trip on.Extra shelves for sorting and scrap bins that hold scraps cut to size. A bulliton board, a design wall. A comfy chair for reading , appliqueing. relaxing or visitors. Small sink and coffee pot optional.
What else would you like and what do you already have that needs to fit in.
Old 02-13-2017, 08:19 AM

Larger than what I have now. When I bought this house and knew my sewing/quilting rooms would occupy it, it seemed to be just right but since then I've upgraded my quilting system from 18"- 10 ft frame to 26" - 12 ft frame. Also enlarged my cutting table from 3' x 4' to 4' x 8'. Just recently enlarged my ironing board from the normal size to 2' x 54". So now its okay but rather have more room to move around in. Plus my pegboard where I keep most of my rulers and sewing essentials have grown so its overflowing too. Plus had to add another pegboard on the other side where I keep my threads for embroidery, quilting, serger and regular threads. They changed the height of the quilting thread I normally use so no longer will they fit in my rolling cart. Now its being used to store quilting rulers and templates.
Old 02-20-2017, 10:26 PM

We built the house we are in in 2014. I have not used a professional space planner, decorator, architect or anyone else, just the builder. My laundry room is just off the master bedroom and l like the convenience, but it is small. My sewing room is spacious and wonderful, but not enough for a long arm. I am not sure of the size of either room