Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 14 of 21 FirstFirst ... 4 13 14 15 ... LastLast

Thread: What are we organizing today (2017)?

I organized my precuts today. I lost count of how many I have and it was like Christmas all over again as I discovered some really awesome collections. Found more polka dots, too, which I collect (hoard, really) and a couple of batiks I bought last year from Eleonor Burns at Road to Calif. Gonna do a quilt with the polka dots this year, I think. Found a cute wacky pattern to try. Waiting on my shipment of the balance of mini bolt boards. My fabrics should be organized by the end of weekend.
    Quilting therapy for the therapist...
    My Summertime Swap blocks: https://www.quiltingboard.com/member...bums19923.html

I have come to the decision that I have no more babies in my future. Once in a while I may need to make a baby quilt but more likely to use my embroidery machine than use the fabrics I have been saving (I love to make I Spy quilts). So I went thru my fabrics and sending them off to a lady that have a group that make comfort quilts. It made such a small dent that it hardly looks like I did anything.
    But while I was doing the purging I saw a lot of fabric with selvedge edges and decided to cut it off for a lady I know, and in the box with all the edges I found a gift I bought for my sister last year for her birthday. When I was getting ready to send it to her last August I couldn't find the gift anywhere. It was driving me crazy. I bought the item in March so very happy to be ready - little did I know I was going to hide it from myself. I cannot image why I would have put it in the box - so it must have been the gremlins out to make me nuts.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by quiltingcandy View Post
    I have come to the decision that I have no more babies in my future. Once in a while I may need to make a baby quilt but more likely to use my embroidery machine than use the fabrics I have been saving (I love to make I Spy quilts). So I went thru my fabrics and sending them off to a lady that have a group that make comfort quilts. It made such a small dent that it hardly looks like I did anything.
    But while I was doing the purging I saw a lot of fabric with selvedge edges and decided to cut it off for a lady I know, and in the box with all the edges I found a gift I bought for my sister last year for her birthday. When I was getting ready to send it to her last August I couldn't find the gift anywhere. It was driving me crazy. I bought the item in March so very happy to be ready - little did I know I was going to hide it from myself. I cannot image why I would have put it in the box - so it must have been the gremlins out to make me nuts.
    Good for you in recognizing that you have fabric you won't use and passing it on...and way too funny about the birthday gift!
    Don't worry spider.
    I keep house
    casually.
    ---Basho
    Nothing's too small...I love miniatures.

quiltingcandy- that is such a funny post! And I can totally relate

Rob, at the hardware store, found the wall brackets and accessories. These will work. Got 3 ft sections installed for painting supplies, looking great. Had to order more parts (they didn't have enough) and the other area can take 8ft shelves, so will go to lowes for those. Then the sewing area can get finished. Pics later

Petthefabric- glad they worked out and looking forward to seeing pics when you get a chance!

Rob
    1955 Singer Featherweight 221/ Late 60's early 70's White Selectronic 970/
    1975 Kenmore 158.1914/ 1981 Brother VX560/ Brother PC420PRW/
    Brother PQ1500s/ HQSweetSixteen

Blog Entries
    I have declared 2018 the year of the triangle....I have lots of waste triangles in various sizes in all sorts of bags and bins. My plan while I enjoy a couple of my favorite TV shows is to sort them by size...I think I can consolidate 3 bins into one and make more room for other organizing.
    Don't worry spider.
    I keep house
    casually.
    ---Basho

Quote Originally Posted by oksewglad View Post
    I have declared 2018 the year of the triangle....I have lots of waste triangles in various sizes in all sorts of bags and bins. My plan while I enjoy a couple of my favorite TV shows is to sort them by size...I think I can consolidate 3 bins into one and make more room for other organizing.
    good for you. I cut a bunch of scraps into 2 1/2 sq and 2 1/2 x 3 1/2 rectangles. Rectangles are being collected for a specific quilt scrappy project. Have no clue what to do with 2 1/2 squares. The thought of a postage stamp quilt gives me hives. Lol...
    My Summertime Swap blocks: https://www.quiltingboard.com/member...bums19923.html

Blog Entries
    Thanks, Teen... you might want to try this with the 2 1/2" squares....I put together a QOV top with rwb 2 1/2" squares with a tan star fabric in the logs.

https://www.quiltingboard.com/tutori...t275789-4.html
    Don't worry spider.
    I keep house
    casually.
    ---Basho

This appeals to me, oksewglad! Thank you for the idea and the tutorial link.... I just may do this. I bet your RWB turned out awesome.

Oksewglad: Sending my triangles and HST's your way. Lol!

I did sort some triangles by size last year intending to find a neutral color and make them into HST's for a scrappy quilt. Needless to say, that's all the further I got with that thought process. . I am starting to keep extra triangles from projects in bags and labeling them with the size.

I have been sorting donated fabric from my baby charity group into colors and putting them in clear bags.

I truly wonder where my organization skills went after I retired from teaching.

Connie

Blog Entries
    Oh no you don't Connie! I have more wingless butterflies than you can imagine. Lucky that you have started to sort by size...Mine have been tiny, small, in between, large, big and bigger...Now specified bins are starting to fill. Have a mini flying geese that I will work on, an improv quilt, a HST charm...well not quite charm, and lots of small ones I'm using in a couple of my big mini projects. Oh the options are endless.

RE: organizational skills....I have decided that since I no longer have to keep a daily routine with getting kids on the bus and feeding baby calves 2x a day, that I am now ADHD (self diagnosed of course)!
    Don't worry spider.
    I keep house
    casually.
    ---Basho

I just read a paper that said to COMPLETELY empty room. Take measurements of all furniture and make a drawing to figure out workable placement. Go though everything and put back in organized fashion. Reads good on paper. I suspect I would move it all out and become tooooo overwhelmed!!!!!!
    i currently pulled my machine out and put it on my dining table so I could actually sew!

Oksewglad: I am glad you have ideas on how to use those triangles. I found 10 HST's and put 9 in a 9 patch and the 10th one went in the center of a 9 patch. Now they will go into the orphan block box.

I think the older I get, the more I also am attention deficited. Lol!

Fizzle: I usually measure my tables, etc, when I rearrange my area but, like you, taking everything out and basically starting over would overwhelm me too. . I will sometimes throw things in a box with the intention of sorting through them. Hence, the reason I need to organize because I have waaaay too many of those boxes! Lol!

Connie

Blog Entries
    Purging magazines today. 4 dozen going, still have about 6 dozen left. Will go through them again in a few months and hopefully part with some more. Name:  E6479F4B-CC15-4B38-A0A0-8BA44CA356AB.jpeg
Views: 161
Size:  105.0 KB
    Valerie

Blog Entries
    Oh Canada...this was very freeing for me when I did this, too. After 3 months I don't miss them. I left them at the local 2nd hand store...they have a 20 x 40 room dedicated to books and periodicals for sale at a greatly reduced price...books usually 50 cents, magazines 25 cents.. The magazines are craft/cooking related. Some one else will enjoy them. I had magazines from the early 90's, patterns don't change much, but fabric choices do.
    Don't worry spider.
    I keep house
    casually.
    ---Basho

I participate in the monthly secret pal swap here on this board occasionally. I don't mind receiving used or older magazines, but I can see where they can become quite....well.....abundant

With so much being available online, I bet you could get rid of them and not be too worried about not finding "it" again somewhere online.

what about making a binder, and taking out only those parts that you want? Give the rest away? Although it might hurt to cut into a magazine. I know I feel that way sometimes, but then, being down to one binder instead of piles and piles of mags is a kind of nice way to go, too

Blog Entries
    That’s a good suggestion about making a binder and I may end up doing that with some of the remaining 6 dozen. The ones I purged today will be given away for free on Kijiji - I’ve already had a few people say they would like them.
    Valerie

I just went through a bunch of quilting books and magazines also. I snapped pictures with my phone of the patterns I was interested in doing.

I am either going to donate them to my church youth fundraiser in May or try to sell them as a group and then give the money to the youth.

It was freeing.

Connie

Quote Originally Posted by redstilettos View Post
    I participate in the monthly secret pal swap here on this board occasionally. I don't mind receiving used or older magazines, but I can see where they can become quite....well.....abundant

With so much being available online, I bet you could get rid of them and not be too worried about not finding "it" again somewhere online.

what about making a binder, and taking out only those parts that you want? Give the rest away? Although it might hurt to cut into a magazine. I know I feel that way sometimes, but then, being down to one binder instead of piles and piles of mags is a kind of nice way to go, too
    This is what I do. After saving magazines, I found that I really don't go thru them again. So now, I just take a box cutter and slice the pages/patterns I want, place them in plastic sleeves, then place in notebook. To keep my patterns notebook from exploding, I transfer patterns I've made to a "Completed" pattern notebook. However, I use to work in adminstrative position and I had this awesome desk organizer. I'm thinking of getting one so I can get rid of notebooks when I move for new studio. I don't have a place for one in my current sewing nook. Here's the http://tarifold-organizers.com/tarif...log-racks.html

oh Teen...that's fancy!

I've decided my sewing/office/guest bedroom space has gotten so covered in WIPs and various things that I've never been able to figure out where to store, that I'm taking a couple of big boxes and gonna fill them up and just stick them in the hallway until I can figure out a better way to deal with WIPs...

Rob
    1955 Singer Featherweight 221/ Late 60's early 70's White Selectronic 970/
    1975 Kenmore 158.1914/ 1981 Brother VX560/ Brother PC420PRW/
    Brother PQ1500s/ HQSweetSixteen

Blog Entries
    I need to quilt ONE quilts and get it out of the UFO pile. I sorted some purple scraps today.
    Jackie
    Lover of Scrappy, Chocolate and Wine

Quote Originally Posted by redstilettos View Post
    oh Teen...that's fancy!
    I know, right? That thing is so cool...one drawback is that you have to have a dedicated flat surface for it. But, I figure it's a win-win since I clears shelf space by eliminating notebooks. I'm definitely getting one....or two...

Quote Originally Posted by rryder View Post
    I've decided my sewing/office/guest bedroom space has gotten so covered in WIPs and various things that I've never been able to figure out where to store, that I'm taking a couple of big boxes and gonna fill them up and just stick them in the hallway until I can figure out a better way to deal with WIPs...

Rob
    your stuff is gorgeous, Rob! Get that stuff completed and share your work in shows. Seriously, I've seen your work on the board and I shudder to think of the treasures you have in those boxes.

Page 14 of 21 FirstFirst ... 4 13 14 15 ... LastLast