Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: What are we organizing today (2017)?

Today took the tree down and I put all of the christmas decorations away into bins for the garage. It is a big deal to keep it organized so when I get them back out they go into the rooms they decorate for the holidays.

I usually go for the sewing room after I finish this and the cleaning. I know it isn't sewing, but I am alway s happy to have this done and out of my hair.
    RedGarnet222

"Take your needle, my child, and work at your pattern ... It will come out a rose by and by. Life is like that ...one stitch at a time, taken patiently."
    *Oliver Wendell Holms

I started to finish UFO's yesterday and got one done and another started. That is my goal to finish them first. My sewing room will look a lot better when they are done and out of the way. I organize my stash by color in a dresser. That helps a lot.

I have been packing for a retreat and my sewing room is upside down. I am going to find the top of my sewing/cutting tables.

There is a UFO group on Facebook. 17 in 2017 the idea is to finish 17 UFOs this year.

Quote Originally Posted by tucsonquilter View Post
    It's going to take me more than one day to organize and clean my sewing room. Two days ago I listed the ufos that are floating around my house and I can't believe there are so many. I wish there was a "UFO" group I can join that would help to motivate me and then we can show the ufos that are finished. And I'm writing this as I drink my coffee trying to get the 'get up and go' moving. LOL

Blog Entries

Sewing Room Re-organization!

After being off for Christmas Break (I work for a school district in Texas) and having several Christmas events, finally had some down time the last part of last week and had to get my sewing room organized! After several sewing projects going on for gifts and using my sewing room as Christmas wrapping station, it was a disaster. Took me four hours, I went thru every little container, box, etc. and re-organized and threw away a trash bag of old stuff (no fabric of coarse)! Attaching pics of the end result!
    Attached Images Attached Images

Jeananne

Blog Entries
    Looking great, Jeananne...looks like a great place to sew...

I have the day off due to weather...going to head to the sewing room!
    Don't worry spider.
    I keep house
    casually.
    ---Basho
    I donate quilts to the AAQI.

Jeananne: looks great!
    oksewglad: I am envious. I'd love to get snowed in and be "forced" to sew

I didn't do all that much this past weekend for organization, but I did find the time to cut out my foam posterboard into pieces so I can fold the fabric I am expecting in the mail. Small baby steps....but it felt good knowing it was there and ready to go.

Quote Originally Posted by Quilty-Louise View Post
    Yeah you did!
    Want to come to Colorado and help me when you're done?

HAHAHA
    I think we BOTH need Jeananne to come to our houses...look what she did in 4 hours! My stash is huge, like yours!!! It will take alot longer to do ours...one can wish, anyway!

The other day I was in my sewing room putting fabric away when I found 2 packages of 5" charms. Didn't know where to put them so ended up making a spool quilt. I just need to put the borders on and piece the backing then it will go to the quilter. But my machine is having a problem so ended up taking it to the shop today. Guess I'm back to cleaning up the sewing room! My goal is to have all the fabric put away and the top of my sewing cabinet cleared off by the time my machine is done.
    '

Quote Originally Posted by tucsonquilter View Post
    It's going to take me more than one day to organize and clean my sewing room. Two days ago I listed the ufos that are floating around my house and I can't believe there are so many. I wish there was a "UFO" group I can join that would help to motivate me and then we can show the ufos that are finished. And I'm writing this as I drink my coffee trying to get the 'get up and go' moving. LOL
    Last year my NYResolution was to finish up my IPO's (In Progress Objects sounds so much more positive than UFO, don't you think?). I finished a couple then people had babies and that required a new project, and then life happened and there was another delay, then it was Christmas and that was its own set of projects. However, I picked up an IPO off of the shelf yesterday and started pinning the blocks together! I have 2 weeks to finish this quilt (throw size and the blocks are finished, just need to finish the top) and I will gift it to my brother and his wife.

See if you can either finish or work on one project a month. One of my favorite quotes is that the Great Wall of China can be seen from Outer Space, but it went together one brick at a time.
    She looks for wool and flax And works with her hands in delight.

Blog Entries
    Got the mini flimsy done last night and the one mini UFO completed. Going to work on the January commitments...have 4 small quilts to make, the completed mini flimsy is one.

Here's the UFO challenge here on the QB...it's fun to see what gets finished and often how long they have been sleeping in lala quiltland....

http://www.quiltingboard.com/quiltin...h-t284858.html
    Last edited by oksewglad; 01-04-2017 at 10:43 AM.
    Don't worry spider.
    I keep house
    casually.
    ---Basho

Brought out containers of scraps to cut early next week. Tonight sewing the last 12 rows of a SCRAPPY brick quilt- just found a duplicate brick so out that will come and should finish sewing, press and decide on backing this evening! The organizing is focusing on the quilts that need binding, hence the cutting next week. Then onto the one or two finished but no backing or binding chosen quilts finished before Thanksgiving. I have about 8 days here without DH so it is cut, sew, press, sort, and repeat. I made a list - will get done, want to get done and "if me and Mr. Ripper don't spend much time together- it may get done". Little cooking, no tv, lots of radio and right now just quiet!

Quote Originally Posted by Jeananne View Post
    After being off for Christmas Break (I work for a school district in Texas) and having several Christmas events, finally had some down time the last part of last week and had to get my sewing room organized! After several sewing projects going on for gifts and using my sewing room as Christmas wrapping station, it was a disaster. Took me four hours, I went thru every little container, box, etc. and re-organized and threw away a trash bag of old stuff (no fabric of coarse)! Attaching pics of the end result!
    What a wonderful rack/shelf for your charm square packets! Did you make it?

Love the idea! I'd love to put soup in the pot & sewing all day!

Oh dear, I didn't organized anything. Instead I went to SR Harris and bought 20 yards of fabric. I better go make some quilts!

Kris P- I have only been to SR Harris twice. I am glad both stores are a distance away.

My next organizing goal is to 'map' my sewing room. I need to divide it into sections and then make a list of what is stored there. I know my 2 rolling carts by my sewing machine are labeled. One has 'girly' fabrics in strips and squares from 1 1/2"-4 1/2". The other one has more 'boy' type of fabric in those sizes.

Time to get busy! This will be a perfect goal for those times where my back needs a sewing break. Lol!

Connie

I'm down to my last cleaning and organizing chore. I have small pieces of batting that will work for table runners and mug rugs. The batting was stuck in a drawer in the office supply bin so I threw all the batting out onto the middle of the exercise room floor. When DH starts watching Netflix tonight I am going to pile it up, measure it, trim it and get it sorted into 2 different sizes. I have enough pants hangers that I'm hanging all of it in the back of my walk in closet where I can get to it instead of having to search for two days trying to remember the last place I moved it to!

Blog Entries
    I like the pants hanger/batting idea...after I measured mine I put it in a tote...I have been able to pick up nice ones at our local second hand shop, so I have them on hand.
    Don't worry spider.
    I keep house
    casually.
    ---Basho

I have been cleaning my room a little all week. I sorted two tubs of fabric, taking out the small scraps and ironing and folding them so that I know what I have and can find it when I need it. It's back to school on Monday, so the cleaning will slow down, but I hope to get a tub a week sorted.

I've organized a couple of mountains of scraps this year. My new motto is "no scrap left behind." When I complete or move on to another project the scraps get taken care of at that point. I still have a couple more mountains of scraps to tame but I only spend 15 or 20 mins. max every day on them. Sometimes it isn't easy to quit but I have to if I want to sew or quilt. Bit by bit they are finding new homes. However, now I am disciplining myself to take care of currant scraps so they are not added to the remaining mountains. I'm happy to say it is really working. Today I cut 10" squares for practicing fm. Top, back, and batting. 25 of them The front fabric was already cut into the 10" squares, but the fabric for the back had to be resized from bias cuts. What a mess! I absolutely did not want to do anything with the scraps that were left over! But I did and I feel good. No, I feel really great. No scrap was left behind!!!! This is a big accomplishment for me.
    SEW MUCH FUN!

Blog Entries
    Rhonda Lee you could use those FMQ squares as pot holders....if they needed to be thicker...put 2 of them together and bind them. Our church basement kitchen is always needing pot holders and fancy isn't important, functional is....
    Don't worry spider.
    I keep house
    casually.
    ---Basho

Yesterday while it was snowing and the wind was howling I once again upgraded my sewing area by taking apart a jury-rigged "table" that I had made using a piece of wood that was laying over some stacked crates at one end, and one of those old revolving cd carousel racks at the other (needless to say it was not very sturdy and couldn't be used for anything other than being another horizontal space to stack stuff on. I replaced it with a real table that I made using the piece of wood from the jury-rigged table and some adjustable legs that I got off of eBay. It was super easy, and now I have a table that can actually be used for sewing or cutting. It looks a lot better too.

Earlier this week I organized the fabric that came out of my grandmother's house. There are also a bunch of patterns dating from the early 50's through the mid 80's that need to be sorted. Most of the fabric is home dec, but I can use a lot of it in my art pieces since grandma favored solids over prints. I'm looking forward to seeing what I can do with it.

Not sure what to do with the patterns, there are a lot of them and from what I can tell without actually opening the envelopes a lot of them are uncut. Since they're mostly clothing patterns they are not things I would use, but at the same time, I don't want to just toss them either.

Rob
    1955 Singer Featherweight 221/ Late 60's early 70's White Selectronic 970/
    1975 Kenmore 158.1914/ 1981 Brother VX560/ Brother PC420PRW/
    Brother PQ1500s

See if an older adult group, church group, or school can use tho patterns.

Scraps! Giving away several packages of them, so be watching the section called "Offers." Game is in progress !

Quote Originally Posted by oksewglad View Post
    Rhonda Lee you could use those FMQ squares as pot holders....if they needed to be thicker...put 2 of them together and bind them. Our church basement kitchen is always needing pot holders and fancy isn't important, functional is....
    good idea! thanks!
    SEW MUCH FUN!

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 ... LastLast