Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Pictures > Mission: Organization
What are we organizing today 2020 >

What are we organizing today 2020

What are we organizing today 2020

Old 07-04-2020, 09:48 AM
Power Poster

Years ago I put our business and personal check registers in a spreadsheet. At the end of the year, I copy the ss into a new sheet and highlight the data in a readable color other than black. I run through the ss and add or eliminate data as needed. (i.e a service no longer used, a new revenue stream, or a new loan payment(car)) As many bills and income are recurring at certain time periods, this keeps me on track for the whole year. At the beginning of the year I put in the correct amounts and change the font color to black. It works for me.

Last edited by oksewglad; 07-04-2020 at 09:56 AM.
Old 07-04-2020, 01:47 PM

Thank all of you. This sounds like a greaat system. When I get my 1 file drawer cleaned out, that system will be used.
Old 07-04-2020, 03:12 PM

A friend of mine was moved into an assisted living home and no longer able to sew has been giving me her fabric stash. I never knew she was a compulsive buyer. When I was given 5 bins (the flat 18 x 24 x 7in.) stuffed full I thought that was it - no, there have been more bins along the way and they were not small either. And then the bags of fabric never taken from the bag with the receipts still there (one from 1998).
So my friend from AZ has been in town taking care of her mother during the pandemic and the first batch we went thru and basically split it 50/50, and got rid of the fabric we knew we didn't want. We were so accomplished. Then the additional bins came and I was in my sewing room and discovered I had several bins with nothing but Christmas fabric. In all between the new bins and my bins there were 7 bins of Christmas fabric! (I swear it multiplies in the dark!) So over I went to my friends house and we went thru it all and I got it down to 3. (2 large and 1 medium - all wrapped on the comic boards if it was 1 yard or less. The larger pieces were over 3 yards so they are folded and in one bin.) The ones that weren't washed have been washed and put with the older washed fabric so I don't have to do it later.

When the lock down hit, my niece (an emergency room RN) asked me to make masks and we did. It took a while to get the elastic but we made 125 for my niece, then my DD's work needed them so there was another 50 for so. And once people find out you make them, they ask for them. I don't charge for them since I was totally reimbursed for the elastic and I haven't bought any new fabric (except for the San Diego State fabric for my DD and DH). It's just been my contribution to the cause. But I am so tire of making them, so I packed all the stuff together in one of the empty bins and setting it all aside until August. And with the new found space in my sewing room I am able to go back to my embroidering and quilting. It's so nice to be semi organized again.
With being home all this time one would think I would have the most organized home - but I am so easily distracted it just doesn't happen all at one.
Old 07-04-2020, 04:29 PM

When I was teaching, my first grade coworkers would come and ask me for something and I could go to that month’s file and pull it out. When I retired in 2009, I gave the files to the teacher replacing me. She had taught 6th and the 5th grade and was so appreciative of the files along with books and their CDs or tapes, and the organized math curriculum. I smile when I go into her room as a substitute teacher and see something I had given her to use and it’s still being used! If only I had stayed that organized at home after I retired. Lol!

Rob: I sometimes see my phone’s message and, like you, I need to remember where I put the papers especially my property tax and eye prescription papers.

I made a master list of things I put in boxes a few weeks ago in my sewing area. I added to that list today as I found more things to put in the boxes. Now I need to make a master list of the sorted fabric that I put into bags yesterday. So much easier to remind myself what I have and where if it’s on a list.

quiltingcandy: I understand getting distracted.
Old 07-04-2020, 06:30 PM

Today I got 4 quilts ready for the LA. Finished 1. Sewed buttons on 4 clothing items for DH and put them away in his closet. Repaired 2 items of my clothing and put them away. Emptied a bag of "stuff" and put it all away. Listed a bunch of Q books under Offers that I've been wanting to get rid of for a long time. A lot of clutter gone!
Old 07-05-2020, 08:06 AM

I took out all of my bins of fabric out of the closet and I am sorting through everything and trying to put all of the same colors in one bin. It is a job but I do feel more organized and when I want a certain color of fabrics then I can find it better. Now to vacuum the closet and put back more organized fabrics. Oh my---I will not get all of this fabric made up in my lifetime but I will be organized!!! lol
Old 07-05-2020, 09:37 AM

Originally Posted by retiredteacher09 View Post
When I was teaching, my first grade coworkers would come and ask me for something and I could go to that month’s file and pull it out. When I retired in 2009, I gave the files to the teacher replacing me. She had taught 6th and the 5th grade and was so appreciative of the files along with books and their CDs or tapes, and the organized math curriculum. I smile when I go into her room as a substitute teacher and see something I had given her to use and it’s still being used! If only I had stayed that organized at home after I retired. Lol!

Rob: I sometimes see my phone’s message and, like you, I need to remember where I put the papers especially my property tax and eye prescription papers.

I made a master list of things I put in boxes a few weeks ago in my sewing area. I added to that list today as I found more things to put in the boxes. Now I need to make a master list of the sorted fabric that I put into bags yesterday. So much easier to remind myself what I have and where if it’s on a list.

quiltingcandy: I understand getting distracted.
That is a high compliment, indeed, that new teacher is continuing with the system you designed. Looks like you made an impact on more than just the kids as a teacher.
Old 07-05-2020, 05:11 PM

Thank you, Teen!
Old 07-06-2020, 06:17 AM
Power Poster

Whenever I get scraps of fabrics I can use in a QOV quilt I toss them into a bin. For the 4th I made some pinwheels using a piece of HeatnBond between 2 squares. While I had the patriotic fabrics out I decided to work on a UFO of rail fence using 1 1/2" strips. I need 63 5 1/2" cut squares...have about 50 of them done. Then I need to get 2 1/2 yds to set the squares in. Need to start planning on the next patriotic scrap quilt.
Old 07-06-2020, 05:15 PM
Power Poster

I just spent 3 days cleaning out my sewing room. What a job! But I'm loving the results. I donated 2 large garbage bags of stuff I don't want. It's a great feeling and it assuages any guilt over wasting something I didn't use.
I need to rein in my spending though!! And I also need to stay more organized. I have a tendency to : start too many projects at once, or finish a project and jump into another one w/o cleaning up the previous one.
And since my baby granddaughter I've made tons of messes creating for that little doll.