Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Pictures > Mission: Organization
What are we organizing today 2020 >

What are we organizing today 2020

What are we organizing today 2020

Old 07-06-2020, 05:27 PM

Suzie, I know your challenge. I just finished sewing 6 baby quilt tops and now need to get them ready for pin basting. Found out today coworker of DH's sister is donating a kidney to her sister in Sept. Whoopee two more quilts to make but first I really need to calm the chaos in the sewing room. Making all those HST really created a huge mess. This evening I walk into the sewing room and turn around and walk out. Just too hot to do any more quilty stuff tonight. Tomorrow is another day to enjoy my hobby oh and hubby too I should add....lol
Old 07-06-2020, 08:04 PM
Power Poster

Have the needed squares done and can feel free to buy the fabric needed to finish. I'm not cutting the RWB scraps into various widths and thinking about the next quilt.

SusieQ...way to go in getting the sewing area cleaned up!
Old 07-07-2020, 03:09 AM

Should have joined this thread sooner, but at least I have something to add. In the month of June, I shredded all the past “paperwork” from our 46 years of marriage. Kept last seven years of necessary tax related papers. It really helped to free up some closet space in our spare bedroom. Went from a file cabinet and 8 file boxes to a two drawer file drawer.

I have not tackled my sewing room yet except to move like fabrics to the same place. Made myself a block Wednesday to move along a past project.

My current project is a Wedding quilt to gift by August 1st. Lack quilting 8 blocks and binding.
Old 07-07-2020, 08:55 AM

It's now 11.00 a.m PMT and I just finished organizing my scraps. Started at 6.30 this morning after coffee. Most of the scraps were cut into "usable" sizes but were sleeping in several plastic containers all jumbled up. So grabbed zip lock freezer bags and started filling them according to size. Burped out the air and now they are standing up in 2 plastic containers. Fabric ..sewing rooms are all tidied up so now I am free to start pin basting these baby quilts. It will be easier to shop fabric for the next scrappy project. !!! I want a reward!!!

When the mood strikes me I'll resort the "homemade" jelly rolls into light and dark.

Next project is to take my sewing machine apart...kinda...drag out the vacuum cleaner and suck the lint/felt out of it. The sewing machine that is, not the vacuum cleaner...lol

Last edited by QuiltnNan; 07-08-2020 at 03:46 AM. Reason: shouting/all caps
Old 07-07-2020, 12:23 PM

Originally Posted by giquilt View Post
In the month of June, I shredded all the past “paperwork” from our 46 years of marriage. Kept last seven years of necessary tax related papers. It really helped to free up some closet space in our spare bedroom. Went from a file cabinet and 8 file boxes to a two drawer file drawer.
It's amazing how much paper accumulates. Now, I have 1 file drawer at my desk. It holds the current yrs stuff. At yrs end, the financial stuff is weeded out and stored as 20xx financials. The rest is stored as 20xx. Then in 7 yrs I dump the financials. In 3 yrs dump the other. Legal papers (birth cirtificat and etc.) stay filed in desk file. It's past due to sort out past records.
Old 07-07-2020, 04:09 PM

You guys are rockin the office organizing! Outstanding!

Susie....must be having a blast sewing for your new grandbaby!! So Blessed! I cannot start a new project if room a mess from the last one. Lol....I would stroke out from stress.

The family/heirloom trunk is sorted and organized so now I am working on family pictures. I need to sort frames and design the family wall layout. This is the last box from moving that I need to go thru.

Old 07-07-2020, 04:56 PM

Congratulations to everyone for making progress/completing your organizing plans!

I am going through a large tub. Apparently, this is one of the tubs that I just threw old paperwork, pictures, vacation brochures, etc, in somewhere along the way. Once I get done with this tub, I need to file the pictures on my office table before I look for more boxes to sort.

Has anyone tried copying slides, old 8 mm movies, etc, with one of the machines you can buy for that purpose? Or any other ideas how to copy them without sending them somewhere? I was thinking I should set up my slide projector and screen and see if I could snap a good quality picture with my phone. I am suspecting there will be plenty of slides I decide I don’t need anymore.

I also have been sorting/cutting up fabric scraps along with sewing.

Last edited by retiredteacher09; 07-07-2020 at 05:00 PM.
Old 07-07-2020, 07:25 PM

Today I took four 13 gallon trash bags full of fabric and scraps to Goodwill and also ended up getting rid of three more bags that wasn't quilting fabric (most of it was given to Cheryl when a neighbor died). We went through about 20 storage containers full and winnowed that down to about 15 that have a a decent chance of being used in the future. Added storage shelves on both sides of her sewing room to hold works in progress and other things as well as a new eight-drawer unit and redid her thread storage to make it more convenient to her machine. Here are some photos.
Attached Thumbnails sewing-room-1.jpg   sewing-room-2.jpg   sewing-room-4.jpg  

Last edited by Rob The HOAQ; 07-07-2020 at 07:34 PM.
Old 07-08-2020, 02:12 AM

Small, small organizational success. I hung the spool holder and filled it with thread spools. Discovered that I needed two not one. But at least now I can see most of my thread choices. As I scrappy quilt, I will use my odds and ends of thread to make room for the remaining spools.
Old 07-08-2020, 02:30 AM

Originally Posted by Rob The HOAQ View Post
Today I took four 13 gallon trash bags full of fabric and scraps to Goodwill and also ended up getting rid of three more bags that wasn't quilting fabric (most of it was given to Cheryl when a neighbor died). We went through about 20 storage containers full and winnowed that down to about 15 that have a a decent chance of being used in the future. Added storage shelves on both sides of her sewing room to hold works in progress and other things as well as a new eight-drawer unit and redid her thread storage to make it more convenient to her machine. Here are some photos.
Wow great job! Wish I lived closer to shop at your Goodwill, someone is going to think they hit the mother load lol