Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Pictures > Mission: Organization
What are we organizing today 2020 >

What are we organizing today 2020

What are we organizing today 2020

Old 11-19-2020, 03:27 PM

decided to use some scraps. Got them all out and pulled out the strips. Friend wants them-one way to organize, give it away. Looked at the rest and decided to choose a back fabric and make blocks to go with it. The rest went back in the scrap box. Since this fluffed it, it looks just as full as before, but I know.
Old 11-19-2020, 03:33 PM

Ryyder, I hear you.

My goal is to reduce stash, no deadlines. So I just keep pulling fabrics for 1-3 quilts at a time. Then, I run across a fabric I've wanted to work with and insert that in the mix.

There is a quilt taking up my big design wall that needs to come down. Finish it? or UFO it? Haven't decided. So it stays put, taking up valuable space. Need to make a decision.
Old 11-20-2020, 02:55 AM

Last night tidied up sewing table. I use unique containers to store notions within an arms reach. ? is...do I really need10 pens/pencils within an arms reach? No. ? is...do I really need 5 scissors within an arms reach? No. ? is...do I really need expired JoAnn's current and expired sales fliers? No. Now I have room for small cutting mat by my machine. Got up this morning. Looked at my sewing table. Looks different but can't remember what was removed...lol! DH uses Swiffer's and I take the containers., Have a clear lid, stack nicely, plays well with other containers on shelf and that's where I put the stuff last night. Won't look in there for a week since I'm afraid all that stuff will end up back on the table!
Old 11-20-2020, 11:01 AM

In my seemingly never ending organizational quest I purchased 8 of these bins at Lowes, stacked 4 each on top of each other then placed them on top of the wooden furniture dolly’s for easy rolling in and out. 2 fit perfectly in an unused narrow deep area, and I covered the bins with a crib sized sheet. Bolts of fabric are a perfect fit! Eventually I will tweak them with wood around the bottom so they don’t move at all when I pull them out. The shelving unit is perfect for 26 clear plastic containers and 10 smaller ones. These were under my long arm and had to be moved when my set up changed. My goal for the next year is to work on my 5 large totes of scraps and get those organized.
Attached Thumbnails de1f277d-972c-4201-941e-fba6d9cf9a14.jpeg   523e7657-4c90-4d98-8311-82deedd400ba.jpeg   d1a9512f-7646-484e-bf2a-e0f3b54c202d.jpeg   4fa11d73-d3c7-4c1d-bffc-16301eab72e4.jpeg  
Old 11-20-2020, 12:02 PM

Tallchick.... it looks amazing. Very impressed...
Old 11-20-2020, 01:05 PM

It is such s good feeling to get the fabric organized or anything else that needs my attention in the house. For me, and maybe for you too, I find it so hard to KEEP it organized. I'm trying to "put back" as soon as possible but sometimes that is just so hard. Funny but when scrapbooking was the rage, I went to a couple "parties" but thought, ready for this, too much to keep track of. So now instead I have fab, notions, mag, books, thread, patterns. (Did I list it all?)
Old 11-20-2020, 07:12 PM

I enjoy seeing all of the organizing ideas. Thanks for sharing.

I moved some fabric from bigger tubs into smaller tubs and added the bigger tubs to the pile that I took to my niece's house. Then she found out she doesn't need to move as soon as she thought but will keep the tubs for now.

Old 11-21-2020, 02:04 AM

Wow tallchick, that looks amazing!

I'm enjoying my quilting cupboard a lot more since I organised it (did it a shelf or two at a time - it's not a big cupboard, lol). I finished sorting it out last weekend, and am still at the stage of sometimes just opening it to enjoy the organisation .

So far I really like having my fabric organised by colour (rather than size). Aside from anything else, it *looks* so much better!

Today I need to organise my brain. I have various bits of quilting that I want to tackle, but am also looking at Christmas, DH's birthday, and DS's birthday (all in December), plus the usual other things, and my head just feels a little overstuffed. Probably best to start writing some of this down. And then start *doing* some....
Old 11-21-2020, 03:45 AM

Tallchick, your organization looks wonderful! I like that you can see at an instant what is where.
Panchita, I can relate to you! I spent just over a week sewing fabric boxes, folding and organizing fabrics for my large cupboard (which was stack haphazardly to overflowing). Felt so good, and I, too, would open it up just to admire the progress. Kept finding more fabric I stashed in various places in the bedroom, etc. and now have my fabric boxes crammed in tightly, some double stacked, till no more fits in my cupboard. Doesn't look quite as neat, but it will still be easier to pull out a box at a time and find colors/themes of fabrics together! Makes me realize I must use more stash and curtail buying more fabric (for a while)!
Old 11-21-2020, 12:27 PM

Since I'm trying to downsize my stash, I don't want to buy backs. So, sometimes I start a quilt by picking a fabric with lots of yardage to use as the back. Then I pick fabrics to go with it.

I'm thinking I should put "backs" together, at least for a while.