Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Pictures > Mission: Organization
What Are We Organizing Today 2023 >

What Are We Organizing Today 2023

What Are We Organizing Today 2023

Old 01-07-2023, 03:34 PM

I've spent most of the day swapping my studio around and now I can get to both the front and back of my Cutie frame. What a job, but the space is much improved over what it was. I've also been trying to get some things put away since, once again, every flat surface got covered during the holidays. It already looks much better, but I'm having to face the fact that I really need to get rid of a lot of excess stuff. I think I'm going to need several sessions just to get rid of trash before I can move on to things that are in good enough shape to donate.

Does any one know of an organization that takes rag fabric like the leftovers from making t-shirt quilts? I know I've seen something somewhere about where you can send clean rags to be recycled rather than adding them to a landfill.

Rob
Old 01-07-2023, 07:35 PM

Rob, I just donated 5 small bags of fabric, all types including rags and some batting to our local humane society. The drop off was a pet store. Check your humane society or pet adoption site.
Old 01-08-2023, 07:04 AM

Last evening when doing a very quick clean up on my sewing table I spied a large basket near my sewing chair and pulled out a ziplock bag of odd blocks. There aren't orphans but my attempt to use odds and end to eventually create a scrappy quilt. Then I found another and another and another. None of them matched in size or color way. The light bulb went off. They are not being used and are falling deeper and deeper in to the basket. Why am I keeping them? I proceeded to sort through the basket, save a few to cut up for 2.5" squares and put the rest in a bag to be delivered to Goodwill. I found some gems, a cookie sheet (used for sorting small pieces), and two UFOS. This is a BIG basket but now is is only a holder of the UFOs and a few blocks that I still love and would potentially put into a quilt. Ta-Da.

Since this worked so well, I think a look at the orphans that have been given to me and see what can stay and what should go.
Old 01-11-2023, 12:28 PM
Power Poster

I spent a long time this past Fall purging and rearranging my sewing room. I can't tell you how much more productive I've been since then! I only have things I love now and my husband helped me rearrange the furniture and add 2 units to make it less cluttered.
I'm thrilled with it! It was well worth the time spent, partially pulling my hair out lol!
Old 01-12-2023, 03:34 PM

Originally Posted by Dedemac View Post
Rob, I just donated 5 small bags of fabric, all types including rags and some batting to our local humane society. The drop off was a pet store. Check your humane society or pet adoption site.
Thanks, Dedemac. I'll check our local humane society out.

Rob
Old 01-13-2023, 07:48 PM

I have a 3 day weekend and plan to tackle some more yardage and scraps that need taming. The only problem I have now is that I'm running out of places to put my fabric. I was hoping that my pie safe would be able to hold all my fabric and scraps but that isn't happening ....... might have to do some re-arranging.
Old 01-13-2023, 09:41 PM

Originally Posted by Sync View Post
I was hoping that my pie safe would be able to hold all my fabric and scraps but that isn't happening ....... might have to do some re-arranging.
Well, you learn something new every day. Thanks to you (and Google) I now know what a pie safe is! :-)
Old 01-14-2023, 12:40 AM

Finally bit the bullet last night and brought the container of batting scraps into my sewing room to trim and fuse with interfacing to make larger batts. (Frankenstine sewing...nope doesn't work for me) Luckily most of it is the same brand so should have a couple good size batts. Even if I end up mixing "blends"...who cares. Goal is to make more quilts fkor P(Check the time I posted this. Yep. Trouble sleeping yet again.
Old 01-14-2023, 04:58 AM

I spent last evening going thru magazines. I don't have tons but they were taking up more space than I like. I pulled out everything I knew I would never make, keeping the cover and back intact. And only kept the ones (usually only one) design I may actually make one day. This worked so well I plan to do the rest today.
Old 01-14-2023, 07:21 AM

I mentioned this in another thread but it is worth mentioning here too. Yesterday in my effort to dust in my sewing room, I came across a small bin of pre-cut 2.5 squares intended for a temperature quilt that I started a few years ago ad never finished. I make a hard choice. Donate the finished blocks and ......use the pre-cut squares as inspiration for the 2023 Birthday Swap packages. I dove into my stash for similar fabrics and Ta-Da, I am on my way to prepping for the birthday swap.

Oh, and I did finish dusting in my sewing room. Organizational, nah, but it sure is amazing how much dust settles in a room that is so busy. The room looks better and I feel a wee bit more accomplished at keeping my space and stuff under control.