Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: What's Your Organizing Goal from This Weekend through 9/18?

What's Your Organizing Goal from This Weekend through 9/18?

Hi everybody,
    Looking forward to hearing about your new goal or goals. This week, I'd like to gather and organize my supplies for different purposes, specifically for: sewing hexagons, punch needle, and embroidery. We are beginning to think about our trek southward and having everything in its place should ensure that I take what I need with me.
    So, what are your goals?
    lots2do

I want to put away the books and magazines that I've drug out in the last couple of weeks. Then maybe I can start sewing on the denim mock cathedral window quilt. Last week I found a bunch of batting scraps that I cut into 4 1/2" squares for the denim quilt. It is a slow but sure process! Of course I found the batting scraps while looking for my knitting needles, which I haven't found yet. I did find the embroidery software I was looking for a month ago. Guess I'm not the most organized person am I?

To get to a stopping place on the quilts I have in progress and put them away, and start making the items I need to sell at my big fall craft fair in three weeks. I want to have some vintage repro aprons this year.
    http://www.etsy.com/shop/sewbizgirl
    Boom 20 Album of Blocks I made to swap https://www.quiltingboard.com/member...bums19942.html
    "The reward of a thing well done is having done it." -- Ralph Waldo Emerson

Organize patterns! I am re-purposing a small 3-drawer plastic cart I had in the garage and now will use it under my cutting table for patterns. I am also purging them and will donating apparel patterns I know I will never use. It is the first step in my sewing room re-org. I have been having company (my sewing room is also the guest room) which meant all the sewing stuff got shoved into the closet and my machine closed into the cabinet. I've also been helping a friend clean out his late wife's sewing room and in the process acquired some of it for myself. So, I need to make room for it.

Blog Entries
    I'm moving into an empty apartment. I'm so sick of renters. I had an opportunity to rent it out, but I'm retired now and it is mine.

It's an old doctors office and I have a three doored closet. There is just enough room under the shelf for a metal rack. I have two more to put together and get all my stash organized!!.

So my goal is to get the metal racks up and enough tubs to hold the scraps.

Marcia

Blog Entries
    Last week, I worked on cutting kits that I have purchased so they will be ready to sew and hopefully I will get them done this winter. I feel guilty buying anything new when I see all the kits I haven't completed yet. I managed to get 6 kits cut and have at least 3 more to go.
    My goal this week is to cut out the two smaller kits, and do a quick look through my sewing treasures to see if there is anything I want to donate to my guild auction later this month. I need to be honest with myself and with things I know I will never use or have lost interest in, I need to donate. I always think, well, I might need this (or finish this) someday...
    I also want to find some time to sew!
    i am really enjoying seeing everyone's goals!
    Linda
    There may be times we are powerless to prevent injustice, but there must never be a time when we fail to protest. - Elie Wiesel

My organizing goal for this week is to go through my bins of stamp sets and decide which ones I will be selling on a friend's garage sale. I was a Stamping' Up! demonstrator or 11 years before moving to quilting. Let's just say I have an entire room of stamping equipment. Very little of it is useful in quilting.

Power Poster
    Blog Entries
    try to get clear tubs and label them. Index cards taped to the inside are great for labels.
    Quote Originally Posted by Battle Axe View Post
    I'm moving into an empty apartment. I'm so sick of renters. I had an opportunity to rent it out, but I'm retired now and it is mine.

It's an old doctors office and I have a three doored closet. There is just enough room under the shelf for a metal rack. I have two more to put together and get all my stash organized!!.

So my goal is to get the metal racks up and enough tubs to hold the scraps.

Marcia

I've started going thru things in my sewing room. Gone thru magazines and given away or donated what I don't want or won't use anymore. I went thru fabric and pulled pieces to donate to a group that makes little dresses for girls around the world. Now I will purge patterns. I've also made six race quilts for nieces & nephews who have lost their Dads to cancer. In doing that, I have used up two totes of 2 1/2" and 3" strips and now I'm using up 5" squares to make a quilt. My piles seem to be going down - a good feeling. My next goal is to use any small kits, etc. - either use, give away or donate to a thrift store. Seriously, I'm really going to do this -

Great goals! I, too, sew in a guest room and that presents new challenges for organizing and keeping projects straight.

I am so pleased with achieving my first goal, it would be easy to rest on my laurels. But I think I will I set the goal of cleaning out a small section of sewing room closet.
    "The great doing of little things makes the great life." Eugena Price

Wow! Great goals are being set for this week!

I plan to label some plastic shoebox size containers. I will label them with color and whether they are boy, girl, or neutral colors and then sort scraps that are given to me from Bundles of Love charity to sew into baby quilts.

Kris P: I sorted through some of my Stampin' Up sets last spring to sell and they are still sitting in a box. . I bought them at workshops and garage sales. Time to decide if I will sell them or see if my niece wants them for mission work.

Tessagin: I tape paper labels inside my shoeboxes but I like the idea of index cards because they would be sturdier.

Connie

1. Clear off my cutting table again.
    2. Clear off my ironing table again.
    3. Organize my orphan blocks.

Those three things sound easy, but it's a busy week in my non-Sewing life. Might be all I can do.

I have a dresser chocked full of sewing things I want to go through - donate what I can. Also I feel the need to whittle down a little fabric. Four totes sitting in my bedroom which is causing a little claustrophobia so if I can get it down to three I'll be happy.
    Erin

i want to get rid of the carpeting in my sewing room so that means moving stuff out ugh! so iam going to purge and donate as i go my son said thats going to take me longer then it is for him to rip the carpet out.lol

Blog Entries
    I need to get the denim explosion under control after deconstructing jeans...then want to pair backings with the batting I scrap pieced last week. These pairings will dictate the size of tops for me to make...mostly 42 x whatever length the backing is. Also need to have a hand sewing project to take on our trip out of town this weekend...I see a short week ahead of me.
    Don't worry spider.
    I keep house
    casually.
    ---Basho
    Nothing's too small...I love miniatures.

Quote Originally Posted by Nammie to 7 View Post
    I want to put away the books and magazines that I've drug out in the last couple of weeks. Then maybe I can start sewing on the denim mock cathedral window quilt. Last week I found a bunch of batting scraps that I cut into 4 1/2" squares for the denim quilt. It is a slow but sure process! Of course I found the batting scraps while looking for my knitting needles, which I haven't found yet. I did find the embroidery software I was looking for a month ago. Guess I'm not the most organized person am I?
    LOL i laugh when i read this i do it all the time

We hope to move by this time next year and I will need to downsize. I want to start collecting things for a Quilters Yard Sale. Several of us had one several years ago in someone's shop and we did very well. No other stuff, just quilting and sewing items. Two of the gals even sold sewing machines at good prices. We did invest in advertising which really helped the turnout.

Finish going through my fabric closet. Have given away my sewing room and all but 1 side of my stash closet. Will clear that when DD comes on 09/23/16.

I will clear and tidy things on my ironing board. Clear and tidy things on my sewing table. Also pick up all the scraps I emptied onto the floor.

For this week:

1. I want to clear off the horizontal surfaces in my art studio (that's where I dumped all the extraneous stuff from my sewing area last week). That will require putting away any things that actually have homes. Anything that doesn't have a home already will be assigned one, or will be put in a box to either sell, donate, or throw away.

2. Find a home for all the extra fibers and yarns that I currently have stored in plastic bags shoved into boxes on the floor of my sewing area, which is also the guest bedroom. Right now, they make it hard for people to actually get to the guest bed. I keep telling DH that it would be much easier if we just got rid of the guest bed and made people sleep on the couch downstairs, but he doesn't care for that idea .

Rob
    1955 Singer Featherweight 221/ Late 60's early 70's White Selectronic 970/
    1975 Kenmore 158 model 1914/. 1981 Brother VX560/ Brother PC420PRW/
    Brother PQ1500s/ HQSweetSixteen

Finish trimming the backing and then sew the 2 pieces together for my r/w/b quilt top, load them and get them quilted and the top part of the binding sewn on...all before Thursday night...wish me luck as I work full-time and have my quilting group over tomorrow night so I won't be able to work at my quilting machine in the garage tomorrow night...
    I am too blessed to be stressed and too anointed to be disappointed!

Blog Entries
    I spent the majority of my weekend, again, doing financial reports for a local group where my husband and I are officers. This volunteerism sometimes get in my way of sewing.... My goal this week is to do some sewing for fun and iron some pillowcases. I consider the ironed pillow case a luxury worth doing and having. Thank goodness my tastes are limited to pillowcases and not sheets, tablecloths, tea towels, underwear, etc. Pressing for sewing projects is Not Work!
    Good luck, Quilters :-)

Have cleared the scraps from floor and some of the surfaces are less cluttered will try to finish today.

Blog Entries
    My fabrics have overgrown their current spaces. I picked up some containers that will fit in a dresser drawer so the other flow is going in their. Then it is work on the smaller projects so I don't feel so overwhelmed. Thanks for the topic. It helped me put things in order in my mind.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast