Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: when I saw this I laughed--but now

Great idea! Quilters are naturaly recyclers!!

Great idea! I've always hated throwing them away and I'm about ready to start sorting my scraps.
    Kathleen, a lass with a bit of the Irish in her blood and a whole lot of Irish in her heart

Blog Entries
    These clear plastic containes are great storage - I use them too and can clearly see the contents.

LOL, your going green in more ways than one. Great idea!

now aren't you a clever one!!! I will start using them, too! Wouldn't rubbing alcohol take off the stickers?
    I know everything I WANT to know!

Great hint - and I think the stickers add character.

Cooool idea!!
    will quilt 4EVER

Power Poster
    Your accomplishing a couple things here, eating good, recycling, and being organized. Can't beat that!!

I use those containers too. They are big enough to hold quite a bit of stuff and because they are clear you can always see what's inside. I do use Goo Gone and then wash with hot soapy water. One of the other recycle deals I do is use empty prescription bottles (the kind with the hard to get off tops) with a hole punched in the top to put my old needles in. The other day, I received a gift box that had an oval aluminum top and bottom so I kept them to use as mini trays for my current quilting do-dads. I use a Pandora jewelry box to carry pins back and forth to quilt class.
    When a dying man asked his pastor "How long does it take to die?" his pastor's heartfelt reply was "A lifetime." Live life to the fullest, but stop now and then to enjoy the sunset.
    Lynda

great idea thanks!
    now i have to eat healthy.....

I am a big fan of "re-use..re-cycle" this is a great idea. I use a lot of this type thing to start seeds in.

Blog Entries
    Very smart, except eventually they will land in the landfill according to my kids, they will wrap me in my fabric, before they cremate me and then throw everything else into the dumpster, including my three sewing machine, go figure, what snot heads they are.
    But i do love the ideas i get from you guys, thank you
    Mary

Quote Originally Posted by wolph33 View Post
    yes they stack nice and you can see in them.I just wish the stickers cleaned off easy-but I can live with it since it is free storage
    There's a product I use called De-Solv-it. I find it at Walmart. It has an orangy scent and is a little oily, but it works wonders....on all kinds of things, especially on removing labels and the"stick-em" residue from labels. Detergent removes the oiliness easily.
    One step at a time, always forward.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by leamelon View Post
    ....and I thougjt I was the only one that did this. Great quilters think alike
    Me too, I've been doing this for 4 yrs. I always look at an item as something to use for storage. And I thought that I was so smart. I also use zip lock sandwich bags for storing my buttons in by color and then keep the bags in one of these containers. Also, a container for each with bias binding, ribbons, elastics, webbing, and zippers. Very easy to see what you have .
    Last edited by Sewze; 07-01-2012 at 08:39 AM.
    Jinnie

OH my goodnes that is a great idea. I've thrown so many away. Darn me anyways. I'll be saving them from now on. Thanks for the tip.
    Kim

pal
    I also use the round plastic containers that Chinese Take-out food comes in for mini sewing kits that I use when going to appointments. I can fit an embroidery project, the hoop,small scissors and all of the threads to finish it in one container. They are a little more substantial for traveling.

Re: the plastic containers - WD40 takes the glue off after you take off the label. Also, slip in a piece of cardstock (from the back of a greeting card) regarding the contents. Then when you change the contents you can change the label.
    PACE - Positive Attitude Changes Everything

"All things are literally better, lovlier, and more beloved for the imperfections that reflect the human effort that went into their making."

Great recycling and money saving tip. I have several of the clear plastic shoe boxes for sorted strips, etc but I had to pay for them. I love spinach and think I'll watch for these containers. Thanks for sharing.

very good use of them
    Pegg

Have a great day and happy sewing !

Great idea! Thanks for sharing!

Hate spinach but use the salad containers, GD use them for doll clothes also the grape tomatoes are just the thing for small squares

I have used like containers, all different sizes, for years. Any one that has a baby & buys the baby food in the rectangle clear plastic containers with lids needs to save & use them also. I grab on to them whenever I can for snaps, buttons, basting pins etc. Just all kinds of use for them. They travel well too. I rarely toss any clear plastic container away. The bigger containers I put all fabric & pattern for each quilt I plan to make. Keeps everything all together & easy to find.

I use these all of the time. I stand up fat quarters in them and have them arranged by color and type. They are also good for keeping parts of a project together. I even use one for holding l my scissors and rotary cutters.

I like the see-thru part as well as they are very light weight.
    Sewbeadit
    W. Washington

I've been trying to figure out how to store all those little strips and odds and ends! I am cutting strips and squares when I have left over fabric now, even down to 1" squares! That is a great idea!

I've never used one, but my daughter swears by Clorox Magic Eraser for removing adhesive.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 ... LastLast