Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Pictures > Mission: Organization
While we are organizing and even afterwards >

While we are organizing and even afterwards

While we are organizing and even afterwards

Old 01-26-2014, 11:45 AM

For those of you that donate to Goodwill....do a little research on their business practices. Since finding out that 0% of their proceeds go to charity and so little goes to employee salaries, we no longer donate to them. Salvation Army is an excellent place to donate since close to 100% of their proceeds goes to charity.
Old 01-26-2014, 01:23 PM

we take a quarterly inventory of the house, garage and shop contents. We place it on two discs, one for us and one is sent to our insurance agent.
Old 01-26-2014, 01:26 PM

Originally Posted by Tennessee Suzi View Post
For those of you that donate to Goodwill....do a little research on their business practices. Since finding out that 0% of their proceeds go to charity and so little goes to employee salaries, we no longer donate to them. Salvation Army is an excellent place to donate since close to 100% of their proceeds goes to charity.

The vast majority of our donated items go to the local homeless shelter, battered women's shelter and to the local
children's safe house. We also donate our aluminum cans to the local homeless shelter, those type of donations go for utility bills they have.
Old 01-26-2014, 01:59 PM

This is good advice on checking to be sure you have enough insurance coverage! I did this on my jewelry and the few antique furniture pieces I own but never thought to do it on my fabric, notions, books, patterns, machines, etc.

Thanks for the heads up on it!
Old 01-26-2014, 02:44 PM

Originally Posted by Country1 View Post
. . . we sent stuff to a quilter on the forum who lost her goodies. The lady sent the nicest card . . . .
It is definitely nice when the recipient acknowledges a gift. I sent lots of fabric 2-3 years ago to someone on this board who indicated she needed materials because of her financial situation. Not one word of thanks did I ever receive!
Old 01-27-2014, 04:08 AM

Originally Posted by M.Elizabeth View Post
It is definitely nice when the recipient acknowledges a gift. I sent lots of fabric 2-3 years ago to someone on this board who indicated she needed materials because of her financial situation. Not one word of thanks did I ever receive!

my experience too. I donate to local charity quilters and I hear......nothing. Rethinking my practice of bagging up my unwanteds. I "hear" that they are thrilled to receive but I guess a quick note, text, Facebook post, etc is too much to expect. Hey, I spend hours purging.

I suggest that we store the records in a safe deposit box as back up too.

Sandy
Old 01-27-2014, 12:47 PM

Originally Posted by Sandygirl View Post
my experience too. I donate to local charity quilters and I hear......nothing. Rethinking my practice of bagging up my unwanteds. I "hear" that they are thrilled to receive but I guess a quick note, text, Facebook post, etc is too much to expect. Hey, I spend hours purging.

I suggest that we store the records in a safe deposit box as back up too.

Sandy
I belong to a group that accepts donations to make items for less fortunate community residents. If there is no name of the person attached to the donation , then could you suggest a way to contact that person.Our group is always thankful for the donation,but without a name, it seems impossible to send a thank you.
Old 01-27-2014, 01:11 PM
Power Poster

What a generous heart you have...God always repays ten fold...Bless You....
Old 01-27-2014, 07:17 PM

My ladies club often want to donate to a charitable cause, we have found local groups who work with and for our mountain community, we donate clothing to a local group who checks, cleans and organizes them, we also give them fabric, household goods, yard tools, anything we think can be used by someone else, also a church in our area collects many things for our neighbors and friends, as for insurance, we are also insured to the hilt, we do so many different things that its hard to keep track, we have replacement value on our house and furnishings, as for my crafts and woodworking hobbies, we provide pictures, and scanned receipts put on a DVD to our insurance company plus we keep a copy at my parents hose, we update the info regularly
Old 01-28-2014, 02:51 PM

That was so nice of you! My only problem with figuring out the value of my stash for insurance would be that dh would find out. LOL.

I have a friend that has a goal of making 100 quilts for kids this year so I'm donating some of my fabric to her for that.