Work Has Resumed!

Old 11-07-2017, 06:15 AM

Your new digs are going to be wonderful!
Old 11-07-2017, 05:08 PM
Power Poster

Your sewing studio will be wonderful when it gets finished.

Sorry to hear of your Husband's hand issues.

My Husband fell 8/30/17 while filling landing and steps outside with liquid crack filler. He didn't realize he was at the edge of a 3" step. Stood up and tumbled down across three more landings with 3" steps. He landed face first beside a large chain link fence post. Cut about a 1/4" gash into his eyebrow, bled like a stuck hog for awhile. He fractured his right wrist. He had it bandaged, the in a cast and three weeks wearing a brace. Not able to lift more than 5 Lbs. Good thing we retired Jan. 1st 2017. Brace comes off next Tuesday.
Old 11-07-2017, 08:10 PM

I'm so sorry to hear of your husband's hand trauma. Life changes so quickly. But I'm glad there are surgeons who have the skills to repair all kinds of things, especially hands. Boggles my mind.

I'm happy for you to have a she-shed for a quilting hut. What will you put down on top of the slab so as to cushion your feet. THe old back won't tolerate concrete very long.
Old 11-08-2017, 02:12 PM
KLO

Your "sewing shed" is coming along nicely. When we built our outbuilding (combination work shop and sewing room but with a wall down the middle to separate me from the saw dust), I too was surprised that the cinder block foundation extended higher up the wall. So, I ended up painting the cinder block that same color as the walls and as it is covered a lot by sewing table and other "stuff", it worked out pretty well. My dh then did as you are doing by cutting and putting a wood shelf on the cinder block to cover it. We also have the combo heat/AC unit in each side. Bet you are going to really enjoy this room when it is done and you can get in there and sew!
Old 11-08-2017, 05:49 PM

Originally Posted by grandmahoney View Post
I would love that edge! I could see it with all my vintage sewing machine heads setting on it. That edge could be used for so many things. This will be one very nice sewing room.
That's exactly what I'm going to use it for. �� I have several older machines, enough so that if some don't work, I can use the cabinet for one that does. I can do basic maintenance on most machines, but have yet to restore one. My first attempt at that type of project will be a Singer 66 that I bought for $20! But even if I never succeed at restoring a machine, they'll still be beautiful decorations on my little ledge! Can you tell that I'm really tickled about it? ��

Donna
Old 11-08-2017, 06:00 PM

Originally Posted by zozee View Post
I'm so sorry to hear of your husband's hand trauma. Life changes so quickly. But I'm glad there are surgeons who have the skills to repair all kinds of things, especially hands. Boggles my mind.

I'm happy for you to have a she-shed for a quilting hut. What will you put down on top of the slab so as to cushion your feet. THe old back won't tolerate concrete very long.
I'm going to have bamboo flooring with padding underneath put on over the concrete floor. In front of my cutting table I plan to have one of those padded, pressure absorbing type mats to stand on (Am I the only one who can't seem to cut correctly unless I'm standing?).
Old 11-08-2017, 07:17 PM
Power Poster

Your sewing shed is coming along nicely!
Old 11-09-2017, 01:19 AM

Sorry to hear about the family funerals and your husband's hand. My own husband had hand surgery 4 times in a year, I feel for you! However, it looks like you are making wonderful progress on your shed!
Old 11-09-2017, 05:45 AM

Oh, wow!!! That is going to be wonderful!. I am looking forward to more pictures as your new space progresses.
Old 11-09-2017, 06:14 AM
Power Poster

Wow, you sure had one stressful year! Hope your husband is on the mend too.
Can't wait to see your little haven finished!! You deserve it