Alabama Retreat Info

Old 10-19-2010, 04:40 PM

I have checked my schedule and come up with a possible date for a retreat. A night retreat Feb 17-20 at Magnolia Park Retreat would be $225 and include 9 meals. Or we could do a 2 night the 18-20 for $175 and include 6 meals. I do not know if they will allow some to do 3 nights and some 2 nights, but I will check on that.

If we share rooms they can accommodate 28 quilters. There is a minimum of 15, maximum of 28. If a non-quilter comes with you, that may eliminate space for a quilter if we have more than 28 wishing to attend.

Next, we need to come up with a name for ourselves. I'm open for suggestions, but I have been referring to us as the Board Quilters. But am open to suggestions.

If you have any further questions or ideas, please PM me and I will see what I can work out.

This is the e-mail I received from them:

Thank you for inquiring about our facility,

Not sure how to address all your questions. First, I guess would be to say that our work space can accommodate up to 28 participants, all with their own work table, trash can and cushioned rolling chair. We have adequate extension cords as well. We do have 2 large cutting mats for cutting stations and a number of cutting rulers and squares.

We provide 2 large ironing boards and irons. And I have 4 design walls that are available. In addition, blue tape only is allowed on open wall space.

Our minimum is 15, but spouses are counted in that 15 because I do not offer discounts for guest and they are provided with all the amenities as our working guests. We have an open snack room that is included, as well as unlimited access to tea and coffee throughout the day. The club house has a large screen TV that many take advantage of, as well as a covered veranda. There are no TV’s or phones in any of the sleeping quarters.

We have 7 apartments that accommodate 4 guests per unit. There are two double beds in the front room, and addition double bed and single bed in another bedroom. Each apartment has one large bathroom that is shared by all guests in that unit. In the past, we put 2 couples in one apartment and each has private sleeping quarters. The sleeping quarters have over 700 sq. feet of space, with 9 ft. ceilings. Each room has its own ceiling fan as well, which greatly decreases any conflict with unit temperature control.

All meals are included, and are prepared daily on site to include all homemade items. We prepare all of our desserts as well as breads from scratch. The meals tend to exceed all our participants expectations. In meal preparation, we will accommodate only severe food allergies with advanced notice.

The work area is in the club house; each apartment is easy walking distance to the club house and is all on level ground. We have no stairs or steps on the property. The entry to the club house is well covered so unloading and / or loading is done without difficulty in any type of weather.

We also have a private spa area with a licensened massage therapist that is available with advance notice prior to coming, and a manicurist that comes on site for manicures and pedicures. These services have additional fees and each provider has her own price lists. I can forward these to you upon request.

As far as security, the club house is locked every night. In fact, the last person leaving from your group accepts responsibility of locking the side exit door when they leave. I secure all other doors before I leave. Actually, I just live across the street and in over the 3 years we have been doing this, there has never been any problem. I am usually back in the club house by 6 am each morning to start breakfast, however some of my participants have really early birds and they are given the key to the club house to enter when ever they like. So you will have constant access to your work space while you are here. There are no other employees, or persons that access the club house during retreat times.

Our fee’s for 2011 will not change and will remain $175 for two nights and 6 meals. $225 for 3 nights and 9 meals. Any additional nights with 3 meals increase by $45 per person.

We do offer discounts for groups with 20 or more full time participants.

Should you have any further questions or woud like a tour of our facility, please do not hesitate to contact me.
Old 10-19-2010, 05:12 PM

I want to come and bring my non-quilting husband. How much do I add for him? How much is deposit? due when?

What about "Bama Jama Party"?
Old 10-19-2010, 05:22 PM

Everyone will pay the same. Price will depend on how many days we decide on. I haven't heard back on if part of us can do 2 nights and part of us do 3 nights and if we each pay deposits to them or if one person will need to be responsible for all payments. I will post final details when I hear from them.

Would you prefer 2 or 3 nights?

I would prefer no "collegiate affiliation" names please.
Old 10-19-2010, 05:29 PM

2 nights, and I wasn't referring to "college" (I'm an Auburn fan), I was referring to location (Alabama). Jama rhymed. (plus I usually sew in jammies)

Somebody else will have a better idea, just wanted to get the ball started.
Old 10-19-2010, 05:32 PM

Gotcha, sorry for the miss-understanding. She did say we could sew late, so jammies are ok. I'll put you down for 2 nights.
Old 10-20-2010, 05:02 AM

Where is Magnolia Park Retreat located? What part of Alabama?
Old 10-20-2010, 05:59 AM

Sounds like a lot of fun! It would be great to see how quilters work and have some other folks to bounce ideas off of and learn from while completing some projects uninterrupted by a three year old.

However, that is the weekend of my daughter's birthday, where she turns the big 3, so I don't know if I would be able to participate. It might be possible to postpone her party a weekend, especially since she's still young enough to not really "get" birthday parties.

Please keep me in the loop for the developments on this and I'll see what I can work out on my end.
Old 10-20-2010, 06:56 AM

Sounds awesome! Where is this place? And is there a deposit that has to be sent or do you have to send all the monies to reserve your spot?
Old 10-20-2010, 07:19 AM

I went online to see if I could find info on the retreat facilities and they look pretty awesome. I think it is probably about 2 hours from me in east central Alabama. Sounds like a great price. Are you going to have everyone just bring what they are working on or would we be working on something together? I would just like to get away so that I can do nothing but sew for a while. I have several things I want to work on. I would be very interested but I would only be able to go if it were a 2 or 3 day retreat. I couldn't be gone longer than that. I long weekend (Fri, Sat, Sun) would be great, maybe getting there on a Thursday night. Just my two cents....
Old 10-20-2010, 09:50 AM

That weekend sounds good to me- I would prefer a 2 night retreat but would go if 3 nights is what others prefer.