Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Offline Events, Announcements, Discussions
Anyone In South Alabama,...Near Andalusia, AL >

Anyone In South Alabama,...Near Andalusia, AL

Anyone In South Alabama,...Near Andalusia, AL

Old 11-12-2010, 05:14 AM

ALabama is having a Smalltown celebration this year as their focus...changes year to year. So many small towns are having different events and Andalusia is having one that started yesterday and running through Saturday that includes a Quilt Show. Don't know too many details but anyone nearby might want to try to check it out.

Quilt show Nov. 11-13 Hours today and tomorrow are from 10-5:00 There are other events tomorrow such as an air show, I believe old car show and some sidewalk sales.
Covington County Quilt Show, 706, Carson Street, Andalusia, AL
I plan to check it out today and also the fabric sale there.
Old 11-12-2010, 02:52 PM
JJs
Banned

whew, just got home from this show and it was GREAT.... a small guild show (enough quilts to fill a gym in rows (140))...
Lots of traditional quilts, an art quilt or two, two GORGEOUS bargello quilts, several in batiks...
I really enjoyed this show because I like shows that are done by 'real' people -
And, of course, since we were so close to the Fabric outlet place, I HAD to go there...

Thanks for posting this, this morning - gave us time to get over there (2 hours) enjoy the show, go to Glenn's, eat lunch, and get home before dark!! LOL
Old 11-12-2010, 03:22 PM

Hi JJ,
My DH and I went also. Next time maybe we can meet and say HI.
It was fun and lots of beautiful quilts. I was surprised that so few were handquilted. Almost all were machine quilted by the ladies in the area that have the longarm businesses....or so it seemed to me. Knew handquilting was going out of fashion somewhat but didn't realize how rare it was. Just bought a few fatquarters..didn't make it to the LQS this time.
Old 11-12-2010, 03:25 PM

If there's anyone within driving distance, it's a fun show. Loved their quilt that is being raffled off...better than lots I've seen.

Also, post any shows that are within driving distance because we will travel for quilts!!!!
Old 11-12-2010, 09:11 PM
JJs
Banned

are you the lady I talked to that thought so many were done on a long arm?
or the lady who's DH was talking about her having to rip out stitches...
or the lady I told about Whittle's and Marshall's?
Old 11-13-2010, 04:38 AM

Andalusia, we go through there on our way to Destin. Been through there many times. In fact, just two weeks ago... missed the quilt show dag gone it.
Old 11-13-2010, 10:13 AM

Wish I had opened this section early this morning. We would have gone over there. I don't know how far it is from Dothan but they talk about Andalusia on our TV all the time. Maybe next time.
Old 11-13-2010, 11:36 AM

JJ, No, I wasn"t the lady who had to rip out all the stitches, or the one that you talked to about Whittles. LOL I did talk to a couple who were trying to find out what else was going on in that area and some ladies who were admiring different quilts. Many were not from Andalusia, so who knows!! You and I have talked about Greenville before online, I believe, and some people from here. For example Mrs. Delana who had the beauty shop and her turning 100 just recently.
Old 11-13-2010, 11:40 AM

I heard about the show from Pat who was recently online here and saw my hometown and told me about the show. When I got home and read the brochure, I saw her name for an Irish chain quilt and wish I had known that it was hers at the time. She wasn't able to be there yesterday and I couldn't go today so it didn't work out so that we could meet. Maybe next time. Some ladies were discussing a retreat that sounded like fun...at a beach somewhere. Will list info if I find out more about it.
Old 11-13-2010, 03:10 PM

how close are you to Mobile...and where is this fabric outlet