Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: Lancaster, Pa. bound, anyone?

Lancaster, Pa. bound, anyone?

I went to Lancaster, Pa. today w/hubby on a mission to find a hotel for my friend and me to stay at during the quilt show. I wanted to stay inbetween the Host Farm/Contiential Hotel and downtown Lancaster where the big show is.
    I hit about 5 hotels, with hubby in tow because he likes to stay at a hotel that has the doors inside the halls, not on the outside of the building, which is much safer for women. The prices were $179 at Wyndham, one queen bed left (so I was told). The others right close (you could walk to all of them) were Super 8, with breakfast for $61.04 including tax. Economy Inn was $54.99 with 2 beds, no breakfast. Knights Inn was $54.99 with 2 beds, including breakfast. Country Inn was $119 plus 11% tax with breakfast. Some said if you go on the internet to their sites and you are older like I am and have AARP or some other discount, you can get $10 off.

I also hit some of my favorite quilt or fabric shops, including a new one at Blue Ball. Some gave me extra cards to hand out to anyone I see at the show. Some of the shops are having sales like 10% off everything, and 20% off orange tags, which is at Zooks at Intercourse. The fabric at Goods, in front of the Shady Maple Restaurant in East Earl, Pa. has a lot
    of flat folds for $2.99 and the shelves are full. I picked up maps to some of the places and a few extra yellow maps because that is the one that lists most of the places a quilter would want to go. A new place, the Pa. Fabric Outlet, had
    their brochures out, their address is 2460 New Holland Pike, Lancaster, Pa. 17601. I have never been in it but from the brochure, I will have to go. They list the calico prints at $4.98 and under, wall of buttons, apparel, upholstery, drapery and lots of time.

I am only about one hour away so I go several times a year but I am taking a lady with me that tires easily so I will try to pamper her. If you have any questions, need directions, or anything else, please contact me. I hope a lot of you can come.

I will be there! My guild is running a bus trip. We do a fabric shopping trip down there also. Love all the shops! Have a great time ragamuffin!
    Never met a scrap of fabric or vintage sewing machine I didn't like!
    Many a lost and lonely vintage machine has found a home with me, 26 and------ uh oh lost count, who is counting anyway!

Susan

Sounds wonderful, wish I could!!!

Ragamuffin, What's the name of the new shop in Blue Ball and where is it located?

I plan to visit for the quilt show. I generally stay away from crowds when shopping, preferring to pay a bit more for the ability to shop without chaos, but this year I decided I really wanted to see just how crazy it gets.

It is Family Farm Fabrics and is right at the intersection of 23 and 322. It was an old pool supply place, I think. It is on the Rt. 23 side, towards Shady Maple. I think Goods in front of Shady Maple has the best prices but the girls there did not know if their prices will be different during the show. The Quilt & Fabric Shack, 3137 Old Phila. Pike, Bird-in-Hand, has good prices and help is the Mennonite or Amish. They have good prices too. The Pa. Fabric Outlet is 2460 New Holland Pike, Lancaster, Pa. 17601 but I have never been there. It is right near the town of New Holland. Get that yellow map. Of course, the place I spend most of my money is at Zook's in Intercourse, right in the middle. I park at the Kitchen Kettle Shops. If you want to meet up, I will give you my phone number. Just send me a private message.

I love, love, love the Quilt & Fabric Shack in Bird-in-Hand! They have, at least to me, the largest and best selection of flannel that I have ever seen in my life! And I think Old Country Store by Zooks is also great. Not going to the Lancaster show this year, but as I, too, am only about an hour away, it's my go-to location for fabric shopping. Hope everyone has a great time at the show. Tomorrow I'm headed to the NJ Quilt Fest show in Somerset, NJ. Maybe I'll see some (more) of you there. Already have a couple of meet ups planned. So looking forward to THAT!

My favorite shop is Burkholder's in Denver. There is also Sauder's (681 S. Muddy Creek Rd, Denver, PA), Zook's sister store and Weaver's. Those three are near Ephrata so about 30 minutes from Rt 340.

Depending on the weather, I may be driving up from Richmond. I've never been to AQS so I really would love to come and see the quilts. It's just driving north before April has me a bit concern.As I understand it, there are 2 quilt shows in town at the same time. Which of 2 is your favorite?

I went to the show last year, and had a great time. I stayed at the Hampton Inn in Ephrata.. I don't remember what I paid, but it was nice, and had a nice breakfast. I went to the PA fabric outlet, and the prices were great. They also had a discount. You picked a tag from a bucket, and it told you what you got off your whole order.. I picked up some remnants that were $2.00 a yard, and I had to cut away a couple of spots, but I did very well.. They also have sales during the year with major discounts..

I am supposed to be going on wed,thurs and friday. Mom and I stay at the Marriot so we can just park the car for 3 days and see the show and vendors all we want. If you sign up this year for next year you get a great price. We got our rooms for 117.00 they usually go for 240.00 The hotel is wonderful and they can't do enough for you. We could stay somewhere cheaper but Mom likes to be able to go to the room and relax when she wants. She doesn't quilt and she doesn't get around as well as she used to but she loves to go spend time with me so it's a great convenience to stay right there.Unfortunately this year may get cancelled as Mom has shingles right know. Should be better before the show but playing it by ear right now.

My wife and I will be staying at the Bird In Hand Family Inn from Thurs to Sat. Probably will spend most of the day Friday at the quilt show. She enjoys the shows and I get a chance to get pattern ideas for my barn quilts!

I'll be there on Friday to meet up with internet quilt pals, shopping and our Show & Tell that night at our motel, Country Living Inn on old Philly Pike. Cozy motel with indoor corridors, we tie our doors open and visit each other for quilt talk and catch up with a glass of wine. No breakfast but there is a 50's diner next door, last year the motel gave us a chit to use for breakfast. My arthritis keeps me from doing Wed to Sat morning stay like I've done with my friends for years. Zooks and Sauders are always on my list. I try to get to Piece by Piece Quilt Shop in Epharta too as a friend works there and we have a summer retreat at the shop. Going to try the Blue Bell shop and/or PA Fabric Outlet too.

Thanks for info about reserving early at Marriot for a good rate next year, might try as I've been skipping the show because it involves too much walking on hard surfaces, but staying there would be good as I could always go back to my room when I get tired.
    Last edited by missmay; 03-02-2013 at 06:08 AM.

You are being very considerate of your friend. As someone else who tires very easily, having the shortest distance to the shows is very important. I hope you all have a wonderful time.

Kat

We will be at Lancaster AQS!! Staying at the Doubletree by Hilton. I will be taking classes and hubby is working in the Oliso booth!!! I would so love to meet with anyone that is interested from this board!?? I know I don't post very often, always off to some show working or sewing in my room when I do get to stay home! Guess I really should post some pictures! Let me know if you are interested in meeting up! We are coming from Texas!!
    Chrystina
    Live your life in such a way that when your feet hit the floor in the morning.., Satan shudders & says ..."Oh no....she's awake"

https://www.etsy.com/shop/ChrystinapCreations

I will be there also. Driving up from South Carolina with 4 friends. I didn't realize Goods was near Shady maple. I will look for it as we will most likely eat there. I hope the weather cooperates. I don't have a winter coat, just a jacket. We booked our rooms in Jan but Im not sure where they are. Close by the show I think.
    Last edited by Maureen; 03-06-2013 at 07:28 PM. Reason: forgot something

For those who are interested, Good's flatfold fabrics are on sale this week for $1.99 per yard. And yes, they are located right next to Shady Maple Grocery and in front of the Shady Maple Smorgasbord. The Family Farm Fabrics store is located in Blue Ball, not Blue Bell, and will have a discount for Guild members with a membership card. Sauder's will stay open until 8 p.m. on Weds., Thurs., and Fri....only until 5 on Sat. In Goodville, on Rt. 23, there are the Goodville Fabric Outlet and Obie's. I was at Sauder's today (their quarterly sale ends tomorrow...Tuesday) and there were lots of out-of-towners there already. I'll be at the show on Friday...five of us are parking at the Lancaster Stadium and taking the shuttle to the show.
    psumom

I can't make it for the quilt show, but my husband has to be in Allentown PA for business the weekend of May 4th, so we were thinking of extending our time (since it's a 9 hour drive for us to get there) and head to Lancaster area on the Monday for me to see the famous quilt area. Any advice on where to go and what to see would be appreciated. And if anyone knows how to get a private tour on an Amish farm (I know it's almost impossible to get that type of invite), I'd really like the opportunity to see how they do what they do up close.
    "If you have built castles in the air, your work will not be lost; that is where they should be. Now put the foundations under them." --Henry David Thoreau

This is quite late- just saw the post...
    Days inn on Rte 501/Lititz Pike- cost 68-79 and if you mention AAA, you can get a room w/ a king bed for $68. if not for the one way streets, it will be a straight shot to the conference center- in downtown lancaster.

Getting ready to head off to Lancaster tomorrow to the AQS Quilt show. Live only 1-1/2 hrs from Lancaster and am looking forward to shopping at all the great quilt shops. Thanks to all for the great info. have been to several of the shops before, but haven't shopped there in many months due to illness. I'm signed up for several lectures, but have enough UFO's at home to last a lifetime. Trying to do at least a few a week, so didn't want to drag any more home with me. I'm new to this website and hope I will meet a lot of you along the way. I sew quilts, home dec, garments, do knitting, etc. I am in to a lot as you can see and wish I had more time to do more and had better health to do more, but I make up for lost time when I can.

By the way, not sure where the convention center is located in Lancaster, but GPS will tell me. Since I am not in the room much during quiltweek, I stay at the Red Roof Inn or a Comfort Inn. All I need is clean and neat and basic. Coming myself this time as hubby is staying home to babysit the puppie.

Be sure to come visit the Quilt Show at the Continental Inn. I wasn't sure how big it would be, but there are over 30 vendors and its held all over the hotel. it's free to get in. Also, there's another show across the street at the Host Hotel (I don't know what that one's like.) they are about 3.4 miles from the convention center.
    Last edited by QuiltnNan; 03-14-2013 at 05:33 AM. Reason: removed self promotion