Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: Looking for quilters in my area

Looking for quilters in my area

Hi. I recently moved and am looking for quilters in the Franklin or Columbus Indiana area. I am recently widowed and was married for almost 50 years. I am mostly a beginner but have experience with sewing. I made one lap quilt in a class a few years ago - but the instructor was unable to finish the class. I would like to meet with some people or a group in this area and learn/make quilts. I have many tools and fabric but would love to have some companionship as I don't know many people here. Thank you.

I am in the Versailles area, which is south. There is a great quilt shop in town that always has things going on. Did you check for quilt shops in Columbus?

I don't usually get that far north. I know Greensburg and North Vernon both have nice quilt shops as well.

What would be a good thing to do is to go on a shop hop. Then you can see the area shops and meet people

Very sorry for your loss, BARES. You might try finding a local quilt shop and asking there about quilting groups. Or sometimes libraries know about them. I hope you find one.
    http://www.etsy.com/shop/sewbizgirl
    Boom 20 Album of Blocks I made to swap https://www.quiltingboard.com/member...bums19942.html
    "The reward of a thing well done is having done it." -- Ralph Waldo Emerson

Great idea. Thank you. I will check out the shops in this area.

thank you. I did check the library and the young girl there didn't know of any quilting groups but did try to interest me in painting bubble wrap and putting it onto paper. Not what I was looking for.

Blog Entries
    bubble wrap? interesting but maybe another time. I'm only interested in quilting too. or tole painting if i had the time.
    quilt guilds can be of help too if you call them. I do wish you luck.perhaps someone on this forum lives close to you will post on this soon. on and try any near by Churches. They might know of quilters too.
    "From hence only infer that an Englishman, of all men, ought not to despise foreigners as such and I think the inference is just, since what they are today, we were yesterday, and tomorrow they will be like us"
    Daniel De Foe -The True Englishman

Howdy from Texas! I'm so sorry for the recent loss of your DH of almost 50 years. I hope your new found hobby of quilting will help with long, lonesome days. I found this site & it looks like there is a quilt guild in Franklin & also two in Columbus. Scroll down a bit to get to the guilds & then you will see that they are in alphabetical order according to town names. I hope this helps you. I don't belong to a quilting guild but have heard a lot of good things about them. We love pictures & would like to see what you are making. Ask questions as there are so many helpful & encouraging members on this board.

http://www.quiltguilds.com/indiana.htm

If you live close to Centerville, check out Sew A Lot. We have one here in Lexington (same family) and they are great. They offer a lot of classes and are always ready to help.
    Regina in Richmond, KY

Sorry about the loss of your husband. Checking with local quilt shops is an excellent idea. A couple of other suggestions would be to Google quilt guilds or Quilts of Valor groups in your area. You might even check with your park district. Our park district has lots of activities for seniors, including quilters who meet twice/week to work on their individual projects at the park district building.
    Never be afraid to try something new. Remember, amateurs built the Ark. Professionals built the Titanic.

I am so sorry for the loss of your husband. And now a move to an unfamiliar town... i am hoping that you can connect with a couple quilters or a small group very soon. There is nothing like a good quilting buddy or two to help lighten your load.

Darn it! I was hoping you were in Columbus Ohio!~

I googled quilt guilds in Indiana and came up the following:

Evening Star Quilt Guild in Columbus
    https://www.facebook.com/columbuseveningstarquilters/
    Email: [email protected]
    http://www.americanquilter.com/quilting_community/guilds_view.php?id=2314

Nimble Thimbles QuiltClub
    Johnson County Extension Office
    484 North Morton Street
    Franklin IN 46131
    http://www.americanquilter.com/quilting_community/guilds_view.php?id=2088
    Hope this helps.
    Never be afraid to try something new. Remember, amateurs built the Ark. Professionals built the Titanic.

Thank you so much. I will check them out.

If there are any quilt shops close that offer different classes, that would be a good way to learn and make friends.

Blog Entries
    Sorry for the loss.

You can always use this board as a guild-ish. I don't drive well anymore and you are my social life.

Very sorry for your loss. I was going to suggest that you go to a local quilt shop and they can guide you to people with the same interest that you have. Good luck on getting to know others in your surrounding area

If I were in your circumstances, you could contact churches in your area. Some have quilting groups and are very open to accepting people from the community.
    To quilt or not to quilt...now what was the question?

As Theresa mentioned, in our area of Texas there are churches that have group meetings. You do not have to be a member of the church to join.

Check here. There is a day and evening guild in Columbus and they state they are very friendly. http://www.quiltguilds.com/indiana.htm

Blog Entries
    I suggest 3 things - check with your city's Parks and Rec dept. Most have classes and stopping by a class to talk with the instructor should give you leads. Stop by your local quilt shop and ask (you can try the big fabric shops, but we don't often know about the clubs/groups). Google quilt guilds and it should show things within about a 20 mile area. As a side, your local quilt shop may have some additional people who have been wanting to start a group - so you may be the catalyst for a whole new group!

Quote Originally Posted by SusieQOH View Post
    Darn it! I was hoping you were in Columbus Ohio!~
    Or Columbus, Kansas.
    My greatest fear is all of my family standing around my coffin and talking about "how sensible" he was.

BARES, I live in the Columbus area and I am the president of the Evening Star guild. We are a small group and meet the 2nd Tuesday 5:30pm at the Mill Race Center on Lindsay St.
    There is also a day guild. It is a bigger guild and meets the 1st Wednesday at the Masonic building corner of Taylor Rd and Rocky Ford.
    Several ladies meet Monday evenings to sew at the St. Peters Lutheran Church downtown. We are there from 5pm to 7 or 8pm. We'd love to have you join us!
    QuiltingVagabond aka Kathy

Bares, I sent you a pm. I live in Columbus.