Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Offline Events, Announcements, Discussions
Quilt Across Texas Hop is HERE! >

Quilt Across Texas Hop is HERE!

Quilt Across Texas Hop is HERE!

Old 09-05-2011, 06:03 PM

Any suggestions for quilters living in the Brownsville TX area I can pass along to my sister?
Old 09-05-2011, 06:14 PM

Between Saturday and Today a friend and I visited 16 shops. All in region 3 and 5 in region 4. You know after awhile they all seem to have the same fabric. We had fun but really spent $50 in gas for a chance at a drawing?? I can't imagine being able to go to at least 4 shops in each region but one to qualify for the big prizes.
Old 09-06-2011, 08:25 AM

Our region is just WAY too spread out ... Corpus Christi to Houston to Nederland ?? (WHAT were they thinking ??) Doubt we can do it all, everyone works and not enough time.
We did go to TTQ in Houston and to Quilters Cottage in Richmond. There weren't many people at either. We thought it was odd they didn't have any sale or specials for hoppers. And no refreshments, with 100 degree weather ... not even a glass of iced tea ? Where's the hospitality ? Wasn't able to make it down to El Campo, as some had plans that eve. Maybe next Sat. :roll:
Old 09-06-2011, 10:49 AM

Went to Dickinson to Pinwheels/Posies on Saturday, not for the hop, just for a specific quilt pattern, and that was a long trip. The hop sounds like a lot of fun, just too many miles to cover, to hit all the 'required' shops in Texas, at $3 plus change for gas. Yall have fun!
Old 09-06-2011, 07:29 PM

The few shops I've been to have not had refreshments. I'm wondering if they're expecting too much traffic for that. The last small hop I was on each shop had drinks and some treats.

Not sure about this hop, but for others there were rules about what kinds of sales could be run. One shop - Dickinson or Texas City? - has a color of the month that's on sale. THis is all the time so continues to be true during the shop. The promotional shelves - at my LQS that's $3.99 and $5.99/yard - continue to be that price, but nothing else is on a special sale.

I like exploring new shops and like the excitement in the air for hoppers. My husband just retired and he's planning our little road trips. We're going somewhere hopping this weekend, but I'm not sure where.
Old 09-07-2011, 06:14 AM

Originally Posted by JanTx
The few shops I've been to have not had refreshments. I'm wondering if they're expecting too much traffic for that. The last small hop I was on each shop had drinks and some treats.

Not sure about this hop, but for others there were rules about what kinds of sales could be run. One shop - Dickinson or Texas City? - has a color of the month that's on sale. THis is all the time so continues to be true during the shop. The promotional shelves - at my LQS that's $3.99 and $5.99/yard - continue to be that price, but nothing else is on a special sale.

I like exploring new shops and like the excitement in the air for hoppers. My husband just retired and he's planning our little road trips. We're going somewhere hopping this weekend, but I'm not sure where.
I guess my comments come from working & teaching at LQS years ago, we ALWAYS had coffee and tea for our customers, and cookies. Now it seems like even on these Shop Hops, they expect us to travel and spend $$, but with little thought given to the extra touches that customers will remember.
I love exploring new shops too, that's the real fun of it. How sweet your DH is planning new road trips ! Happy Hopping ! :)
Old 09-07-2011, 09:16 AM

I'm in region 2 and only got to one shop on Friday "Quilting Cousins" in Clifton, TXbut had a ball! They had delicious almond cookies & nut bread & bottled water or coffee! And so friendly, I stayed for over an hour! They had a quit pattern as a giveaway, I also spent $70, so I can't afford to do that at every shop I go to! :thumbdown: Another hopper came in while I was there and she is hoping to do every shop, but she is self employed and visiting friends and relatives along the way. Quilting Cousins was her 4th but she was hoping to do 2 more on Friday. I agree it is difficult to do ones in the areas, I can do some in several different areas, but not all in one!
Still I'm enjoying it!
Debs & Hemi
Old 09-10-2011, 10:30 PM

Hopped on today - got 5 Houston area (region 8) shops in. Still didn't find refreshments in the shops - except our home shop in El Campo had bottled water and some candy. Couldn't leave until after the Farmer's Wife Sampler Club meeting at 10;30 so at 11:00 we headed out.

Richmond, TX (just sw of Houston) was the cutest - Quilter's Cottage. This is a row of old houses and the quilt shop takes up 3 houses - 2 for wares and one for a classroom. Loved their "color room" where the bolts are sorted by colors and the fqs are shelved right above each bolt. I'd love to have more time to explore here - I'll be back. I picked up a few fat quarters for my Farmer's Wife Sampler and some varigated thread. (Favor was 2 fqs and the block pattern)

The Heights region of Houston was next. This is the only shop that has a Houston address - I wonder why that is? Tea Time Quilting is another little house - attached to a plant nursery. The front porch had bargain baskets that were fun to play in. I got a Moda panel of children playing - "Recess" - for $4. Inside is quite small, but lots of fqs - picked up a couple more there. (They also have yardage and a great display of the Texas fabrics.) (Favor: choice of 2 goodie bags - one with a quilt pattern and one with 2 fqs. Also had a pen, lotion sample, and teeny tiny scissors. and block pattern)

On to Spring, TX for the Hen House. Large shop - lots of kits, lots of fabric, also a yarn shop. My husband had a great time talking to the owner's husband who was helping out at the cash register. Got some fq's for a little boy quilt there. (Favor: choice of scissor fob or card of needles plus block pattern.)

Tomball, TX next to Quilter's Crossing. Another small shop in an old house. Had quite a few bolts of backing fabric. I got some of that for a current project. (Favor: grab bag - I picked out some fray stopper stuff. and block pattern)

Quiltworks in Cypress, TX was our last stop. It's a new shop - lots of windows - very different from our other hops today. They had a nice 30% off table and I picked up 2 sets of three one-yard cuts for children's quilts - one boy and one girl. (Favor: copy of block pattern only.)

Had a great day. Fun to just get out. My husband just retired and he had planned our day. We needed the time together! In the evenings too often I sew and he watches TV.
Old 09-10-2011, 10:59 PM

I guess I'll pass on the shop hopping. My sewing room and walk-in closet looks like I have already been to too many
quilt shops. Looks like all you guys are having fun. I might go to the quilt show in shulphur springs, tx next week end.
Old 09-10-2011, 11:06 PM

There was a couple we kept running into today. They had been to over 40 shops and were at the point where they were walking in, getting stamped, and walking out. That didn't look like fun! Hope they were seeing other sites along the way.