Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: Quilt show on east coast

Quilt show on east coast

what quilt show on the east coast would you not miss. I know we have oaks, Somerville, Lancaster, vt. looking for some more suggestions to plan a trip.

I know there used to be a couple in the MD, VA areas. I'm sure some other members will be along with that info shortly. If you're looking to combine that with your other request for quilt shops, I can certainly give you a few here in NJ but it appears you may be familiar with some of them already?? And, of course, there's Lancaster and surrounding areas but those are closed (mostly) on Sundays so you need to plan accordingly.

The Oaks one (listed as Pennsylvania Quilt Extravaganza) is NOT, in my opinion, worth it. It's held at the Philadelphia Expo Center, which is closer to Valley Forge or King of Prussia than Philadelphia. I've spent more time looking at quilts at regional guild shows than at this show, which is sponsored by Mancuso. www.quiltfest.com

There is a fairly large vendor mall, if you are interested - and as I said, it is near other things that may interest you. You can easily see the entire show and spend time at the vendor mall in less than a day. We might have spent 4 hours there. The only reason I'd go again is that it is near DD's home, so if I am there at the time, it's easy to go to. I wouldn't make a special trip for the show.

Combined with other things, it may be worthwhile, but as far as going to see quilts, there are others that are better. The Genesee Valley guild show, also in June, has more quilts than Oaks, with a fair number of vendors. Not a national show, but inspiring nonetheless. Guess it depends partly on whether you are interested in seeing quilts, or vendors. www.geneseevalleyquiltfest.com/

I AM looking forward to a trip to Toronto in mid-June to see the Quilt Canada. http://www.canadianquilter.com/event...anada-2017.php

Blog Entries
    I went to the Quilt show in Hershey last July and was not disappointed. Lots to see, big vendor area and classes that unfortunately were filled by the time I found out about the show. The new webpage with info will be up and running shortly. https://www.quiltodyssey.com/

The Mid-Atlantic Quilt Festival is this weekend in Hampton, Virginia. I like that it is held at a venue with lots of parking... no shuttles to get there are necessary.

They say it's the largest show on the East coast. I go every year:

http://www.quiltfest.com/upcoming-sh...uilt-festival/

the show in Canada looks very interesting. been to Hershey I thinks its good for taking classes. and I didn't know about Virginia until recently so that was too late. hope people respond w/some more places.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by peaceandjoy View Post
    The Oaks one (listed as Pennsylvania Quilt Extravaganza) is NOT, in my opinion, worth it. It's held at the Philadelphia Expo Center, which is closer to Valley Forge or King of Prussia than Philadelphia. I've spent more time looking at quilts at regional guild shows than at this show, which is sponsored by Mancuso. www.quiltfest.com

There is a fairly large vendor mall, if you are interested - and as I said, it is near other things that may interest you. You can easily see the entire show and spend time at the vendor mall in less than a day. We might have spent 4 hours there. The only reason I'd go again is that it is near DD's home, so if I am there at the time, it's easy to go to. I wouldn't make a special trip for the show.

Combined with other things, it may be worthwhile, but as far as going to see quilts, there are others that are better. The Genesee Valley guild show, also in June, has more quilts than Oaks, with a fair number of vendors. Not a national show, but inspiring nonetheless. Guess it depends partly on whether you are interested in seeing quilts, or vendors. www.geneseevalleyquiltfest.com/

I AM looking forward to a trip to Toronto in mid-June to see the Quilt Canada. www.canadianquilter.com/events/quilt-canada-2017.php
    I go to Oaks and Somerville every year and I like them because they are smaller shows but not so small. Many beautiful quilts which are internationally jurored and never so crowded that you can't get close to the quilts and enjoy and study them. The Hancocks Challenge are shown as well as international themed quilts and hand made dolls. I find these "smaller" shows very pleasant.
    no act of kindness, no matter how small, is ever wasted. Aesop

If you like machine quilting MQX in New Hampshire is always a treat. Loads of classes both hands on and lecture style but the popular teachers sell out fast. It usually takes place every April

we went 2 yrs ago to nh loved it. plenty of vendors and good variety of quilts to be seen

The Maine Quilt Show is very nice. It happens at the end of July.

Blog Entries

Quilt show FLORIDA

Dayton Beach this Thursday, March 2 starts about 10 am am I think at the convention center downtown, google it to be sure. See you there. cmaras1234
    Last edited by CMARAS1234; 02-25-2017 at 09:24 PM. Reason: need to correct
    "I do not understand ,how anyone can live without one small place of enchantment to turn to" ( and mine is my summer houseboat on a beautiful KY lake.) quote by Marjorie Kinnan Rawlings.

I was in Norfolk VA last year and attended the Mid-Atlantic show. Enjoyed the show and vendors.

Blog Entries
    [QUOTE=JENNR8R;7771167]The Mid

I go every year as well, I go at least 2 days, one or more just so I can take my time and roam around, the 2nd is to take my now 10 yr old grandson, He has a fit if he doesn't go. He loves the show and takes pictures of all of the quilts. I was so proud of him this year, last yr a lot of the booths wouldn't let you take pictures so I told him to ask first, he did and not one person told him no this year. This year my favorite display was the ones done in leather in the western motif, horses, etc. In July I want to go to the sewing expo in Raliegh NC, I went a few years ago and had a great time. I need to check on what classes they have, the cater on the quilts as well as garments, I also took a silk dying class, loved that
    Judy

well I must say we went to the somerset, nj show today and it was quite a disappointment. half of the vendors from last year. mostly quits. it took us longer to get there then we stayed. not a lot of people walking around. nothing new to be shown.