Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Offline Events, Announcements, Discussions
Retreat in Mt Vernon, WA – June 3, 4, 5 >

Retreat in Mt Vernon, WA – June 3, 4, 5

Retreat in Mt Vernon, WA – June 3, 4, 5

Old 04-14-2011, 08:39 PM

The Whidbey Island Treasure Makers has a few spots left in their semi-annual quilters retreat. It is held at Camp Brotherhood for $165 (includes room and food). Just 25 minutes north of Everett, this camp is nestled in the foothills of Mt. Vernon (just minutes off of I-5) and offers hotel style lodging. Each room is shared with one other quilter and has a private bath (so bring your quilting buddy with you).
Leave the cooking and cleaning to the staff, as our 3 tasty meals a day are served buffet style at the dining hall. Our Guild has reserved a conference room (just 5 steps away from your room) that is plenty big enough to spread out, great lighting, and wonderful views of the countryside. Stretch your legs with a brisk walk around the property and enjoy the animals.
There are no classes to sign up for but there will be two or three small projects (roughly 45 minutes) for those who choose to participate. This intimate setting is great for finishing those UFO’s once and for all. Total number of campers is 20-24, so sign up now. We love to meet new friends, share new quilting techniques, but most of all HAVE FUN!
Old 04-15-2011, 04:56 AM

Thanks for the memories.....I had a home in Mulkateo for a couple of years. Loved sitting in the little park near the ferry.
Hope you are having nice weather....my son is getting married in a tulip field in Skagit Valley today.
Old 04-15-2011, 07:21 PM

You said semi-annually. Is there one scheduled for the fall?
Old 04-15-2011, 09:45 PM

Originally Posted by Ragann63
You said semi-annually. Is there one scheduled for the fall?
You bet! It is usually mid-October.
Old 04-17-2011, 10:54 AM

You may have three of us there, then!! Me from Kentucky, my mom from Missouri and my daughter, who is currently stationed in Everett. This could be perfect! Will it be another UFO, or any chance some classes would be offered?
Old 04-17-2011, 09:18 PM

Originally Posted by Ragann63
Will it be another UFO, or any chance some classes would be offered?
Generally speaking, we do UFO's. However, if there are a few who are interested in a particular pattern to work on with an instructor, I could probably arrange that. We have several gals that bring their quilting buddy, sister, cousin. We don't have any 3 Muska-quilters, so consider joining us and other dinamic-duo's in October. We do have several rooms that have 3 beds (usually 2 twins and a full) if you prefer staying with family (still limited to the one bathroom, though). Of course, we don't bite if any of you needed more space and want to share a room with someone else. Check out the Camp Brotherhood website to see the senery, it's awesome! http://campbrotherhood.com/index.php...d=12&Itemid=12

We usually stay in the Levine or Treacy Lodge (I can never remember). One is upstairs (the one we stay in) and the other is downstairs. Because the lodge is built in the side of the hill, the upstairs guests can pull their car around to the back side and offload from your car within 10 ft of your room! Easily wheelchair accessable (we've had a lady in a wheelchair before and she was quite happy). I just noticed they re-did their website and changed the pics. We don't do the campfire or other activities. Besides lots of eating and quilting, several of us do take hikes around the property to stretch our legs or some light yoga periodically. We always have such a good time and get so much done.

I've included a few pics of the view that I took with my camera phone. Yes, you probably do see cows, llama, emu, pigs, ducks, and a few others. They also have an organic garden from which they make the BEST vegetable soup! Did I mention the food was really good?

view from the sewing room (conference room)
[ATTACH=CONFIG]185838[/ATTACH]

continuation of view (didn't take a panoramic pic)
[ATTACH=CONFIG]185839[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails attachment-185832.jpe   attachment-185833.jpe  
Old 04-19-2011, 07:29 AM

Sounds pretty terrific!! I ask about the classes mostly for my daughter. She is a new quilter, this would be her first retreat and I thought a class project where she might learn something new and get the feel for the fabric, pattern, etc... would be good. That being said, she has two quilts in progress and could probably just use the weekend to finish them! She has been deployed for the past seven months and redeploys at the end of the year. She is a newlywed and doesn't have much time. We thought a three generation quilting weekend would be great for all of us!! Please keep my name and keep me posted as the October information comes up. A room for three would be perfect!!
Old 04-19-2011, 09:13 AM

We have several seasoned quilters attending and would be more than happy to guide her through a project. She would need your help selecting a skill appropriate pattern and picking fabrics/tools before the retreat. We often help each other with reading patterns, selecting appropriate techniques, etc. She'll be in great company!

October 21, 22, 23 is scheduled already. Contact person is Debra Staley at 360-675-7216.
Old 04-20-2011, 05:15 AM

Thanks!! She is actually a pretty good quilter. I'll talk to her and see if she would like to finish up what she has, or if she would like to follow a mystery quilt pattern or make something new. As long as she relaxes and enjoys the weekend, it really doesn't matter what she does!!