Row by Row

Old 07-12-2015, 03:59 AM

Last year I collected some row by row kits and did nothing with them. I have collected four so far this year and I'm treating them like a BOM, in other words, trying to make them as I get them so they do not end up in a tote to be forgotten about. I will post pictures when I get a few more done. Just collected a couple Friday and haven't had a chance to start on them. It is fun going to the shops and visiting with different ones doing the Row By Row.
Old 07-12-2015, 04:05 AM

I'm hoping to get a few patterns here in Florida this week. I've seen the patterns worked up as just one row which would make a cute runner. Here in the Florida condo, we have an island where I could put some and switch them out. I saw a cute one on one website that had a VW bus incorporated into it. I have a niece that loves those so I hope I can remember where I saw it and go in and pick up the pattern.
In August, we are traveling back to Maine. Lots of chances to find more designs there. The license plates look as if they'd make a cute front design for a pencil or tool pouch. I love that they used Portland Head Light on the Maine ones.
Old 07-12-2015, 04:54 AM

I went to 5 quilt shops Friday that were doing the Row by Row. I did not buy the packets but got the free patterns. I assumed all were horizonal rows but the first shop I visited, their pattern was a vertical one 9" X 36"! It is neat and I plan to make it as a seperate wall hanging as they did. I can see it can be dangerous doing this Row by Row!! You get so many ideas and see so many other things to buy!! The license plates are cute too. Some were made into totes, others wall hangings.
Old 07-12-2015, 05:51 AM

I'm doing it. No telling how much I'll have "invested" in license plates by the time I'm done!
Old 07-12-2015, 07:27 AM

I'm doing it in New Mexico, I have rows from Texas as well. I'm trying to complete by the end of the month. New Mexico's has a lot of applique so it's time consuming. I'm having a blast with it though, finding quilt shops in my state that I never knew about. The family has been great about stopping, although they think I take too long in the shops. I'm excited about the whole experience, I'm still considering layouts I saw two this morning and can't decide which one I like the best.
Old 07-12-2015, 07:29 AM

Originally Posted by lots2do View Post
I'm hoping to get a few patterns here in Florida this week. I've seen the patterns worked up as just one row which would make a cute runner. Here in the Florida condo, we have an island where I could put some and switch them out. I saw a cute one on one website that had a VW bus incorporated into it. I have a niece that loves those so I hope I can remember where I saw it and go in and pick up the pattern.
In August, we are traveling back to Maine. Lots of chances to find more designs there. The license plates look as if they'd make a cute front design for a pencil or tool pouch. I love that they used Portland Head Light on the Maine ones.
My aunt is picking that one up for me it's in Palmetto.
Old 07-12-2015, 07:31 AM

I'd love to be able to get one from each state. I'm also doing the "50 State Stars" project, and was planning on putting them into runners to hang alone the top of the wall in my Machine Shed - and it would be really neat to put a license plate for each state under each star.

The rod goes all the way around the perimeter of the room. I'll put longer projects underneath, and the stars will be like a "valance" over the top.

I've got plates from two states so far - so I've got a long way to go LOL!! I think I'll make the plates like potholders - then I can pin them to the State Stars as I get them - even if it takes a few years.
Old 07-12-2015, 09:20 AM

This year, I've done four shops in Florida , 3 shops in Pennsylvania, and one in NY. I have one more Pa shop and one more NY shop. This year I've collected more patterns than kits and have been disappointed at not getting a license plate from each shop. My idea for the plates will just be smaller! It's always fun to check out new shops and see what they offer. Each one is unique.
Old 07-12-2015, 09:37 AM

I am having so much fun looking at the patterns from each state. The theme is "water", and I've seen everything from whales, to lighthouses, dog sleds and snowmen. Each state really reflects their natural beauty. If you are on Facebook, give it a look :-) You don't need to purchase or sew to enjoy.
Old 07-12-2015, 02:08 PM

I have 4 rows put together. Bought 2 kits and the rest are scrappy. Went on a bus trip "Quilt n Quisine" yesterday and was gone for 13 hours. Met a lot of nice quilters. Looking for the plates is like a scavenger hunt. A lot of fun. So far I have 26 so far. I think my favorite for this year is "50 Splz of Grey" It is disappointing when the shops don't have plates. I do have a pattern of two ladies in a convertible that are headed for quilt shops. I plan to get more plates if the shops still have them.