Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Pictures
a "quilt as you go' >

a "quilt as you go'

a "quilt as you go'

Old 11-22-2009, 03:40 PM

Just like you did, you quilt the blocks first. One inch seams are used. You lay the back of the block face down, put the batting on top, then the front of the block, face up. Assemble the sashing the same way. Then sew sashing to block, using a one inch seam. Trim one set of seams to 1/4". You then either fold each set of seams (backing, and front; there is no batting in the seam) to the center and stitch; or you fold toward the block and toward the sashing and stitch down. When you fold both to the center, you stitch down the center with a joining stitch and the other side is left free. The book is called: Cotton Theory of Quilting by Betty Cotton. I bought mine from Nancy's Notions. I will attach pics of my first project and of the quilt I made for my g-daughter's graduation last year. I apologize for the quilt pics. I forgot to take them before I gave it to her and had to have my daughter take them later. Unfortunately, she didn't take them at a high enough resolution. But you should be able to get an idea of what I'm talking about from the table topper.

Front
[ATTACH=CONFIG]54839[/ATTACH]

Back
[ATTACH=CONFIG]54905[/ATTACH]

Close up
[ATTACH=CONFIG]54906[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails attachment-54839.jpe   attachment-54905.jpe   attachment-54906.jpe  
Old 11-22-2009, 03:50 PM

Couldn't get all the photos in one post. Here are the pics of the table topper. I hope you can see the seams well enough.

This side has the dimentional seams.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]55064[/ATTACH]

This side is smooth.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]55068[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails attachment-2996.jpe   attachment-55064.jpe   attachment-55068.jpe