Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: 10 years in the making...

Log cabins never fail to be wonderful!! Love your colorful quilt.

Blog Entries
    You made this beautiful quilt for your hubbie... what better way is there to say "I love you"...

Great quilt, love the colors!

Love the scrappy border.

Quote Originally Posted by EasyPeezy
    Love your scrappy log cabin. How wide are those strips?
    Yes, I want to know as well. How wide are the logs?

Blog Entries
    Well, since no one has offered any quilting ideas, I'll try! I'm going to assume you're planning to machine quilt, because handquiting a Log Cabin is soooooooooo hard with all those seams! I tried and gave up!

Hmmm - curves - I agree - I like curves when the blocks are full of straight lines. Maybe feathers? It sort of depends on how comfortable you feel with your machine quilting. Long, graceful curves along the dark and light diagonal lines would look nice. You could space them close together like cross-hatching - or leave them as wide apart as your batting recommends.

Beautiful! I love scrappy too. Nice job and glad it is almost finished. An overall quilting would be perfect on this one.

Wow and you know what....It was well worth it.. beautiful log cabin !!

Very nice. I love it. I love boarders. Great job. :thumbup:

Quote Originally Posted by EasyPeezy
    Love your scrappy log cabin. How wide are those strips?
    Thank you! The finished width is 1".

Beautiful, beautiful quilt! Love the narrow red border. Your colors are fabulous! My 10+ year quilt is one of my faves too (Ocean Waves on black). Really good things take a really long time. Congrats on getting there. Do you hand or machine quilt? Overlapping circles might be really fun!

Quote Originally Posted by KarenK
    Your block layout is amazing! The longer I looked at your photos, the more I saw. In the first photo, I noticed the alternate light and dark centers of each 4 unit block. In the second photo, the strong light and dark diagonals. Back to the first photo, I then noticed the light and dark stars created as a secondary pattern. The narrow red border really emphasizes the distinction between the center and the scrappy border. The scrappy border finishes off the quilt beautifully. I love your whole design!
    Thank you so much!! When we were trying to decide on the block layout, my husband was away on a trip- I ended up laying it out 9 different ways, taking photos, and posting them in an album on facebook for him to choose from. This layout was definitely both of our favorite. We like that it's not so geometric, not such distinct lines between lights and darks, and it really seems to "move". When you look at it, different designs pop out at you. This was one of the last layouts I tried, I'm glad we kept at it! : )

I saw a pieced border like that recently in a LQS AND LOVED THE IDEA! What a terrific job you have done here:) Give yourself a huge hug!!

Blog Entries
    My personal opinion....It's a beauty.

:thumbup: :thumbup:

Blog Entries
    Never too late to finish a UFO. Congrats on completing it and it is beautiful!

Blog Entries
    VERY pretty!!

Blog Entries
    This WIP has come to a glorious end. Love the borders and you should be so happy with this spectacular display of color and design. Thank you so much for sharing. Just think that itís the best.

Quote Originally Posted by QuiltE
    Great quilt! Your scrappy piano keys are a great border finish!
    Funny, my grandmother told me the name of the border when I described to her what I planned to do- and here I had thought I was being all original and coming up with something new! lol And, thank you! : )

Quote Originally Posted by Kristin in ME
    Funny, my grandmother told me the name of the border when I described to her what I planned to do- and here I had thought I was being all original and coming up with something new! lol And, thank you! : )
    What is "new" to me is how you did the scraps within the keys. I've done piano keys before, but never as a scrappy border, but never have seen scrappy within the scrappy! :) Thanks for sharing as I'll be "stealing" that idea for sure! :)

Great work..DH should love curling up in it.

Quote Originally Posted by JoanneS
    Well, since no one has offered any quilting ideas, I'll try! I'm going to assume you're planning to machine quilt, because handquiting a Log Cabin is soooooooooo hard with all those seams! I tried and gave up!

Hmmm - curves - I agree - I like curves when the blocks are full of straight lines. Maybe feathers? It sort of depends on how comfortable you feel with your machine quilting. Long, graceful curves along the dark and light diagonal lines would look nice. You could space them close together like cross-hatching - or leave them as wide apart as your batting recommends.
    Joanne, would you believe I've never machine quilted anything?? I'm a little scared to start on this one, though I have to say that as I was pressing all those seams, the thought did occur to me, "huh. Quilting this should be interesting..." I'll have to think that one over, I guess. Especially since my only machine is my old antique Singer.

Could you explain a little more about your cross-hatching curvy lines idea? I'm trying to visualize it. Feather curves? Or just lines?

What is "new" to me is how you did the scraps within the keys. I've done piano keys before, but never as a scrappy border, but never have seen scrappy within the scrappy! :) Thanks for sharing as I'll be "stealing" that idea for sure! :)
    Oh, nice, glad you like it! A big part of my reason for making the piano keys scrappy was because I had a lot of strips left over that I'd cut when I was making the blocks. I just sewed the scraps into longer strips- and also cut long strips from other fabric to add to them- then cut those long strips into the 9 1/2" pieces I needed for the borders.

Quote Originally Posted by cwessel47
    Beautiful, beautiful quilt! Love the narrow red border. Your colors are fabulous! My 10+ year quilt is one of my faves too (Ocean Waves on black). Really good things take a really long time. Congrats on getting there. Do you hand or machine quilt? Overlapping circles might be really fun!
    Thank you! I was planning to hand quilt, that's all I've ever done, though all those seams are a little scary. I like the idea of circles!

Oh, nice, glad you like it! A big part of my reason for making the piano keys scrappy was because I had a lot of strips left over that I'd cut when I was making the blocks. I just sewed the scraps into longer strips- and also cut long strips from other fabric to add to them- then cut those long strips into the 9 1/2" pieces I needed for the borders.
    Oh I definitely do! I was thinking a slick way would be to do them like those lasagna jelly roll quilts and keep stitching and cutting til you are down to the border width you want.

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 ... LastLast