Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: 2015 Firemans Quilt

2015 Firemans Quilt

A local organization has a benefit auction every year with proceeds divided amoung 6 local Volunteer Fire Companys.I made a Firehouse block representing each one for this years quilt.

My good friend says "Every Quilt has a story" so here is this quilts story.

Block # 1- Donaldson Fire Co. This little town is named for William Donaldson. He believed that mines provided to yield coal in large quantities and believed this to be a proper place for a village.
    - I chose the "Snowball' block. Snow is cold & wet like the mines. In black, this looks like chunks of coal, or perhaps the entrance to the many 'coal mines' in our area.

Block #2- Tremont Fire Co. Tremont "tres mont" or 3 mountains in French, for the 3 mountains that form it's boundary. Broad, Stony & Red. The Indians also found this a great area for hunting.
    - I chose 'Delectable Mountains' for Tremont. Blue & gree4n were used for the blue skies & green mountains. There are 3 'mountains' on each side of the block which surrounds the 'town'

Block #3-Ravine Fire Co.-Cherryville is the old local name for Ravine. And Ravine is just that. A ravine between mountains with a stream running thru.
    - This block is 'Wyoming Valley', which is itself a ravine. Part of the Applachians with the Susquehanna River running thru. I had to use cherry fabrics and a bit of green for the mountains!

Block #4-North End Fire Co.-Main travel between Tremont & Pine Grove was shortened by joining 2 roads. This area used to be called 'the annex', now known as North Pine Grove.
    -'Crossroads' was the appropriate block for North End. I used the school colors and cardinal mascot.

Block #5Pine Grove Hose, Hook & Ladder Fire Co- an early description of a tall stand of pines by John Bartram, was probably where Pine Grove 's name was derived.
    - This quilt block is 'Tall Pines'..what else! Difficult for me to create the firehouse here, but those tall pines were easy. Of course I used all colors of green, and the tree fabric even has pine cones on it.

Block #6 Suedberg Community Fire Co- Capt. H.C.Christesan, a Swedish ship captain, fell from the mast & shattered his leg. He retired to Pine Grove and eventually moved to Suedberg. There he built a hotel & store. He is buried in the local Lutheran cemetery. Suedberg is a town in Sweden
    -The 'log cabin' block was used , because the Swedes were credited with bringing their idea of the log house to America. The colors used are blue & yellow, the Swedish flag colors.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Thank you for sharing enjoyed it very much
    Sandy

Blog Entries
    nicely done
    Nancy in western NY
    before you speak T.H.I.N.K.
    T is it True? H is it Helpful? I is it Inspiring? N is it Necessary? K is it Kind?

Life may not be the party we hoped for, but while we are here we might as well dance.

What a great project for a great cause. You did a lovely job!

Great quilt..........

Such a wonderful heartfelt quilt you have made and it is sure to bring a very good price, as it has so much meaning and feeling to go along with the blocks. Whoever wins this one should consider themselves very lucky.
    Yooper32 aka: Donna B

Beautiful stories about your beautiful creation.
    Retired teacher, loving it.
    Love quilting also.

That should bring lots of money. Good job.

Wonderful quilt.

Nicely done.

Very pretty.
    Another Phyllis
    This life is the only one you get - enjoy it before you lose it.

So creative! Love the houses!! You did a great job!! Someone will love to own this quilt!!

Stunning piece

Very nicely done - great job.

What a wonderful symbolic quilt. I hope the story is attached somehow so that the lucky recipient will get the full representation of each fire house. You did a fabulous job and hope it brings in lots of money for the mentioned fire houses.

Quilting, crocheting, sewing and crafting in my Sewing Room...Peaceful and wonderful !!
    How very nice !!
    When Life brings big winds of change that almost blows you over.Hang on tight and Believe.
    Words and hearts should be handled with care-for words when spoken and hearts when broken are the hardest things to repair. Author unknown to me
    Do what you feel in your heart to be right; for you'll be criticized anyway-Eleanor Roosevelt

Power Poster
    Blog Entries
    Very neat. Love the quilt and the stories. Agree that the stories should go along with the quilt. There is going to be a very happy and lucky owner. BrendaK
    Be kind to yourself, by being kind to others. When you help others you help yourself.

Blog Entries
    I love it when people explain their projects- This gives such a wonderful extra dimension to the project, and we can see how you worked to bring out the essence of each of these locations. Terrific and meaningful quilt!
    KEEP CALM and CARRY ON!!

Power Poster
    Thanks for sharing the quilt and the history behind each block. Great quilt.

Power Poster
    Looks great....

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Ellageo View Post
    ------The 'log cabin' block was used , because the Swedes were credited with bringing their idea of the log house to America. The colors used are blue & yellow, the Swedish flag colors.
    How unusual about the Swedes. i was always told that the newcomers learned to make log buildings by the native Americans. I know that the Pacific Northwest Native Americans made their "lodges" out of Lodge Pole Pine (Tamarack)
    BTW- I love your fund raiser quilt. Very imaginative.
    If you always do, what you have always done, The results never change. Change is the wings you give yourself.

What a great quilt. I hope you are going to provide a copy of the quilt's story when it goes up for auction .
    Fabric is like money, no matter how much you have it's never enough.

Thank you, everyone!! for the nice comments. I made a cloth book with t-shirt transfer pages. Each block & story is on a page. This book goes with the quilt! The auction is on the 21st! I hope we raise a good bit of $$$. Wish us luck!

Love your very clever quilt and wonderful you've made a book to go with the quilt. Hope the auction was a great success. It should have been since the quilt is fabulous.

Such thought and effort went into this. Well done! Hope it brings lots of $$.
    Be a blessing to others, as you may entertain angels unaware!