Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: 4th of July Dresdan

Just terrific, great job and thank you for sharing, love the red, white and blue, I am an old Navy gal married to an old Navy guy.
    Have a Blessed day
    Ellen

Quote Originally Posted by newestnana View Post
    I decided today (July 3) that I want to make one of these to take as a gift tomorrow ... wonder if I can pull it off :-) I love yours!
    I did it! Finished this last night. Thank you so much, Quilter 1234, for the idea. I had wanted to make a dresden plate without appliqueing it onto another piece, so I followed your instructions.

Basically, I made the RWB dresden plate (my first...have a few wrinkles in the plate part because evidently my 1/4 inch is a little too scant...and definitely had trouble making the circle...will try a diffferent method next time). I got some fleece -- finally understood why you used fleece on the back (because you can leave the raw edge). One thing I did different from you was to trace the DP, once made, onto a big sheet of paper and used this to make a template for a fleece batting. Inserting this batting was a bit tricky (at the base points of the plate), and the batting probably didn't really add much, in the end. Actually, I didn't sew the circle to the plate until after this batting was inserted. Finally, I cut a circle of the fleece and pinned it to the back of the DP.
    I stitched in the ditch on each of the wedges and did a quick slip stitch to attached the raw edge of the fleece circle to the DP. Yay! It's done in time to take as a gift today.

I'm making a RWB trifle and thought this would be a perfect mat to place under the trifle bowl.

Attached are pictures.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Last edited by newestnana; 07-04-2012 at 03:42 AM.
    marcia

To be a good sewer, you have to be a good ripper.

WOW reallly lovely, I am flattered that I would be inspiration for this. I love your fabric choices.... I want one like yours. Quilter 1234

dresdan

where did you find the directions for the back thank you

Power Poster
    very pretty!!!!
    QUILTNMO

Red, White and Blue is always good!

Mundy, no real directions for the back, we just used fleece, cut a circle whatever size you need, by making a template that way you can leave the raw edge open, no hem, no fraying. Just cut a circle , I didn't use any batting, but newestnana did. Just use your quilting to hold it down. Easy way to make cirle, is cut 2 circles same size, sew right sides together all the way around, then cut a slit in one and turn inside out... perfect cirle, then sew with button hole stitch or satin stitch, I sewed 1/4 inch away from seams all the way around and into point... pretty simple. Hope this helps. Quilter 1234

Very nice... I like that..... ;-)

Power Poster
    Very patriotic! Nice job!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2