Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: 5 Treasures from Grandmother

Found 5 unquilted tops my grandmother (1894-1978) pieced probably mid 60's. Post WWII, my dad sewed at Harwood (near Roanoke, Va) so you may recognize some of the pajama fabrics. Believe I will TIE and back with muslin. Have 5 grandchildren... can you imagine a quilt pieced by your Great Great Grandmother??
    WELCOME SUGGESTIONS to keep these quilts in keeping with that era. Also see my posting "100 Year Old Redwork". Need help there too.
    Attached Images Attached Images

I found one that my great grandmother had made when I was cleaning out my grandfathers house and barn. I can't believe that the quilt survived though since it had been shoved in a trunk in the barn for over 30 years!! The quilt isn't my style but I wouldn't trade it for the world (my sister tried to sneak it out when she came to visit last, but didn't get past the front door with it..LOL) Aren't finds like this great!

I have a few quilts that my grandmother made (mid 1950's and before) and all the quilting is very simple, like outlining the squares. I never saw one that she quilted in a pattern.

If you are able, I would suggest machine quilting these tops rather than tying them. I find that if you plan on washing them at some future time, the ties pull and loosen and eventually may tear or pull out. As these are quilts that your children will want to keep perhaps this won't be an issue. I just much prefer a machine quilted quilt rather than a tied one. I think it's neater, tighter and more stable.

Banned
    Blog Entries
    very nice find!

other side of the black stump, Perth Western Australia
    Blog Entries
    what treasures!

What treasures!! That I know of, no one in my family quilted before me. I have never heard of nor seen a quilt by any ancestor.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim's Gem
    What treasures!! That I know of, no one in my family quilted before me. I have never heard of nor seen a quilt by any ancestor.
    Same here. I envy you gals and guys that come from a long line of quilters. I do have some pieces my grandmother crocheted though and I feel blessed to have them.

For background ... my grandmother was half Cherokee. Long, beautiful black hair until her 70's. I'd stand for an hour at a time (behind her rocker) and brush her hair which fell well below her waist. She taught me to crochet when I was 5, and to sew at age 7 or 8. I was one of 48 grandchildren and she treated every single one of us as special. Still brings a tear to my eye. Loved her dearly.

48 granchildren???? Yikes!

My mother was one of 9 ... 48 on her side. My dad was one of 12... 49 of us on his side. HUGE family reunions as you can well imagine. From southwest Virginia in Smyth County (Marion, Chilhowie).

thank you for sharing your treasures. reminds me of my grandmother

What great treasures you have there!

Quote Originally Posted by NCMtnHigh
    My mother was one of 9 ... 48 on her side. My dad was one of 12... 49 of us on his side. HUGE family reunions as you can well imagine. From southwest Virginia in Smyth County (Marion, Chilhowie).
    VERY HUGE! What a wonderful family.

Beautiful pics and lovely stories. I am the first quilter in my family...but I come from a long line of embroiderers and knitters.

Banned
    Blog Entries
    What a true treasure!

No matter how you quilt them, remember to put a label on them so the kids will know how made then and maybe add a little tidbit of information about her.

Oh, these are wonderful! What a treasure- you are definitely having some good quilt luck lately!

I have a quilt that was an unfinished top in my great-grandma's basement when she died. My mom and grandma tied it off for me, but I am thinking of going over it and machine quilting it. It is ripping at the ties, now, sadly. (I have been using it about 8 years.)

I love the idea of the label with the information!

Those are beautiful. What great treasures.

I plan to attach a picture of my grandmother as the "pieced by" and of me as the "quilter" ... with dates and dedicated to each grandchild by name. I hope they will treasure these as much as I do today ... even unfinished.

Blog Entries
    WOW!!! Those are awesome treasures :D:D:D
    Your Grands are going to love having these heirlooms!!!

How great is that. Lucky you.

Hello NCMtnHigh,
    My husband came in just as I was reading this. I asked what he thought. No Hand tying they need to be quilted. I agree with Shelbie they should be machine quilted. If you did hand quilting would be nice, but for lasting a good long time they do need to be machine quilted and good cotton batting like warm and natural. And the label is a must for the kids to remember and pass on down the way. A photo of the quilts and a letter to each of the kids to have put away would be nice too beside the label. They are so precious. The one and only of a few quilt my grandmother mad mand pieced and hand quilted that didnt burn in the fire my mother used as a cover over a matress for years. Has holes and ver worn but I love it... Wish I would of year before realized what a treasure it was, but as I got into quilting years later I finall talked my mother out of it . It was one my dads mom had made. She has been gone for years and my dad a few years so I love looking at it and remembering. Pleas Quilt those for they will last longer.
    ConnieF

Blog Entries
    What great memories for all of you. Sounds like your grandmother was one special lady. I'm glad her quilts are appreciated and loved.

You are so lucky :thumbup:

very nice quilts.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast