Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Pictures
80 Year Old Crazy Quilt >

80 Year Old Crazy Quilt

80 Year Old Crazy Quilt

Old 07-19-2011, 03:21 PM

Location: My favorite place in the world is Lake Erie Region USA

wow ! think of what all this has seen.. amazing .. good work or would not last !
Old 07-19-2011, 03:25 PM

This is beautiful. If you decide to have it repaired, make sure the person you choose knows not to cut out the damaged pieces, but to applique over them (carefully).
Old 07-19-2011, 03:36 PM

It's are Crazy Quilt and the fabrics that are worn can be removed and new patches hand sown in. If they show just cover with bits of lace, sequins or embroidery. Crazy quilts were made and tied not quilted because thy have no batting. They were lavishly embellished with fancy emroidery stiches by women in Victorian times. It was their way of displaying their fancy handy work and were usually wall hangings. They were never meant to be used to keep you warm just enjoyed and admired. :D
Old 07-19-2011, 03:44 PM

Originally Posted by Narda H.
Thank you Karenm, I would love for someone to love and rescue it. Lots to think about , this quilt is special.
Originally Posted by karenm36
Originally Posted by Narda H.
No sentimental value at all. A client friend gave it to me to do what ever I want with it.
Originally Posted by karenm36
I guess it kind of depends on the significance it holds for you and how much you want to use it. Do you want it to stay intact and use it?...then see if you (or someone you trust) can repair the worn areas and continue using it. If you want to keep it because it means something to you, but you don't really see yourself "using" it, it could be hung somewhere as art as it is a very nice quilt! Another option (that could be a bit scary) is if you want to still give it some place to shine and recognize the person that made it but you don't want it to take up so much room...you could, very carefully cut out portions and frame it very tastefully and have some kind of label for the front of the picture made that says who made it, when, etc. If there are other members of your family that would like it as well, then you could make several of these framed quilt art pictures that would still have the same heirloom sentiment/value as the quilt. I'm sure there are other ideas as well, but these are the first that come to my mind. Good luck with what you decide!
Well, if that's the case and if you don't necessarily want it...maybe someone else would like it? Do you feel comfortable re-gifting or selling it? I'm sure there is someone (even on this board) that might like to give it a special home. At least you're getting ideas and it's not going to Goodwill or worse...the dumpster. I see many stories about "rescued" quilts here on this board where people have saved many quilts from a landfill. Glad that won't happen to this one. You can tell someone put a lot of work and love into this one!

I'd be only too happy to rescue it so it could be embellished more and be a true replica of the Crazy Quilt of that age. It's be my quilting goal to make one for myself when I'm not making quilts for Kids4Quilts. I've never kept a quilt for myself yet.
Old 07-19-2011, 04:09 PM

I know there's a similar crazy quilt in the Mamie Doud Eisenhower Birthplace Museum in Boone, Iowa. The lady who was conserving it brought it in to the LQS when we were having our BOM meeting and we got to see how she was stabilizing it with tulle. So I'd say museum, living history museum, state museum, etc. Even if it's not authentic to the place, it might add aura.
Old 07-19-2011, 04:10 PM
Power Poster

What a treasure to have. Thank you for sharing it
Old 07-19-2011, 04:12 PM

Treasure it, I love this quilt. Will be coming to Knoxville to visit my mom soon :lol:
Old 07-19-2011, 04:33 PM

That's gorgeous! I have a stash of velvets, silks, and satins that are destined for a crazy patch with lots of fancy stitches..I have one block nearly done but this time of year I'm must too busy to work on it..cold Maine winters are the time to do that.
Enjoy that beauty.
Old 07-19-2011, 04:41 PM

wow nice
Old 07-19-2011, 04:51 PM

Love it?