Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Pictures
9 Years - Finally finished.  Whew! >

9 Years - Finally finished. Whew!

9 Years - Finally finished. Whew!

Old 12-15-2011, 04:33 AM

love the story...the babies are adorable...and the quilt will be treasured forever...
Old 12-15-2011, 04:50 AM

she will always cherish it, she did do a great job of piecing and her color combo is really pretty - the kids are adorable
Old 12-15-2011, 04:54 AM

Originally Posted by spartan quilter View Post
What a beautiful quilt. She did an awesome job on a first big quilt, and you did the SUPER AWESOME job to rescue and finish it off for her daughter. I am guessing that a lot of tears will be shed when she opens that gift. Way to go.
Ditto! My BFF gave me a quilt she had done for her daughter during her pregnancy. It was an amazing collection of hand appliqued animals, and I don't mean the cute baby kind. She never finished it, but still had the original fabric. I hand quilted it and used the original fabric to bind it. We presented it to her daughter on her wedding day.
Old 12-15-2011, 04:56 AM

What a treasure this will be...She's going to be astounded.....It's beautiful!
Old 12-15-2011, 04:57 AM

A beautiful quilt. I like the color combination. Your daughter is going to be so suprised. I'm glad you saw an rescued the quilt top before it could be tossed out. Your grandkids are adorable. I hope you history the quilt with your story. What a wonderful memory. And I agree, Your daughter did a great job with the piecing.

Originally Posted by quiltingnonie View Post
When my DD was a senior in HS, she had made a baby quilt for one of her teachers, and felt she was now an experienced quilt maker and wanted to make a larger one for herself. She picked out a pattern- which I told her was a bit difficult for a beginner. But being 17, she went ahead anyway. She chose all the fabrics, but I did help with the rotary cutting. Well then she was off to college, then Europe, then marriage. This past summer I was at her house helping her make room for baby #2. Wadded up in the back of a closet was the quilt. She said "Oh throw that out - I made a mess of it." She had used cheap polyester batting, an old sheet for the backing, and tried quilting it with invisible thread on her little cheap machine. It WAS a mess! I claimed to throw it out, but brought it home. Spent months picking out the quilting, bought new cotton batting and backing and had it LA quilted. She has no clue, and I am wrapping it up for Christmas for her daughter - my 1st grandchild. I felt my DD did an excellent job in making the quilt top, just couldn't "throw it out"!

I couldn't resist adding a pic of my sweet GD (14mo) who will get the quilt, with her baby brother (4mo) Guaranteed to make you smile!
Old 12-15-2011, 05:06 AM

Absolutely stunning. Your DD's colour choice and piecing is awesome. I hope she finds time in her busy life to take up quilting again. Kudos to you for taking the time to finish her quilt. In the future, when your DGD is telling people about her quilt, it will have been loved by at least 3 generations. Your DGC are beautiful. Thankyou for sharing.
Old 12-15-2011, 05:19 AM

Beautiful little ones and they quilt is also beautiful
Old 12-15-2011, 05:57 AM
Power Poster

A thrill awaits your DD. The quilt is beautiful and so are her babies.
Old 12-15-2011, 05:58 AM

Just love it great job!!!!!
Old 12-15-2011, 06:00 AM

What a wonderful story! The piecing of this quilt is great, and you deserve an extra pat on the back for unpicking the quilting, YUCK!
Anyway, you are blessed with two adorable grands .