Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Pictures
9P Ziggy Scrappy That Zags Right >

9P Ziggy Scrappy That Zags Right

9P Ziggy Scrappy That Zags Right

Old 12-26-2013, 04:06 PM
Power Poster

What a fun quilt and thanks for sharing your how to. I like the pattern both ways.
peace
Old 12-26-2013, 04:27 PM

Originally Posted by ManiacQuilter2 View Post
It is very similar to the cover of the latest Quilty magazine. I am just beginning to cut my HST. Think I need to make 160 of these suckers !! YIKES. I might just made one color then go onto to something else and do a few every other day and hopefully I will be done before I realize it.
This quilt came together SO FAST for me I thought!! I timed myself on sewing a block together @ 11 min./bl x 5 bl./row = 55 min./row x 6 rows = 6 hours and you're done!! There were 270 HST's in my quilt! I cut 5 squares each of 2 contrasting fabrics and chainsewed 2-3 blocks at a time, cut them apart and sewed the blocks. Making 6 blocks a day means you're done in 5 days! That's only 1 hour of sewing time if everything's been prepped first! You'll have 1 HST left over or 30 in all for another mini quilt! The quick way to get through this quilt is by not cutting it all at once, but by doing 2-3 blocks at a time. Draw the line down the back's center and sew on each side of the line, cut them apart, and voila -- 27 HST's done quickly saving time and thread.

Haven't seen the latest issue of Quilty I don't think but the pattern makes a great looking scrappy or one in solids! I think the key is in not cutting the hst's first, but joining squares RST and sewing seams down ea side. At any rate, I can't wait to see your quilt!! Hope it comes together quickly for you!

I love moving blocks around when I'm done, but I was limited by this block and could only swap out blocks that were in rows 1, 3 and 5 with each other and only those in rows 2, 4 and 6 with each other so you might want to keep that in mind. Looking forward to seeing your creation sometime! Thank you, ManiacQuilter2!!
Old 12-26-2013, 04:50 PM

That's what I call a happy scrappy! Great job
Old 12-27-2013, 07:50 AM
Power Poster

I think it looks great
Old 12-27-2013, 08:53 AM

So cool - love it!!!!
Old 12-27-2013, 09:18 AM

I love your quilt. It's colorful and yet, restrained (or maybe the word is constrained - basically it's not random chaos). I can't cope with random chaos. I am however very confused about the rows and blocks A and blocks B...??? Aren't these all HST turned into a kinda 9 patch with each block using 2 different fabrics......I'm confused....please explain the difference...maybe I'm just missing something...
Old 12-27-2013, 10:30 AM

Originally Posted by margie77072 View Post
I love your quilt. It's colorful and yet, restrained (or maybe the word is constrained - basically it's not random chaos). I can't cope with random chaos. I am however very confused about the rows and blocks A and blocks B...??? Aren't these all HST turned into a kinda 9 patch with each block using 2 different fabrics......I'm confused....please explain the difference...maybe I'm just missing something...
Thank you, Margie, for your questions! I believe others may have questions too. I'm with you -- I can't handle random chaose. I must have balance, color and order in my quilts. This quilt can be tricky. Yes, these are all HST's turned into a 9P, but there are 2 blocks, A and B, and not only do rows need to alternate, but blocks within the rows. Please refer to the pic of the full quilt after you see the following pics that will hopefully answer your questions a little better. I've drawn on the pics explaining it a little better and hope it answers your questions.

The nice thing about the block, whether it's A or B, is that you can turn it upside down to use it for the lights to meet or for the darks to meet. The downside is that you can only use A blocks in rows 1, 3 and 5 and you can only use B blocks in rows 2, 4 and 6.

Careful attention must be paid when alternating the blocks within the rows that they are turned right. Otherwise, darks won't meet darks correctly and vice versa.

Here are pics for you explaining it better. Let me know if there are still questions and I'll try to answer it best! Thanks for loving the pattern, the quilt and seeking clues to putting this one together right!
Attached Thumbnails row-row-b-example.jpg   row-block-descr..jpg   alternating-blocks-description.jpg  
Old 12-27-2013, 11:08 AM
Power Poster

Very nice quilt - good job.
Old 12-27-2013, 12:17 PM

Another gorgeous scrappy.

Thanks for the dimensions. I have put that on the "to do list". Now that I am retired I will have to make a start on that list.
Old 12-27-2013, 08:41 PM

Oh cute! It's so bright and cheery.