Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Pictures
African Quilt top is done. >

African Quilt top is done.

African Quilt top is done.

Old 02-12-2010, 07:30 PM

Thank you all so much for all the praise. I was going to use another pattern but I didn't have enough material. I am glad I went with this one.

Still need suggestions on how to quit it on my sewing machine.
Old 02-12-2010, 07:48 PM

Boxer Mom, this is gorgeous. One of my Professor's at Alabama A&M in Huntsville, AL wore the big flowing African dresses (long ones) & this fabric reminds me of one of her dresses. I was in my late 40s when I attended there in late 90s (I was the Lil Ole' Cau lady), who helped get a lot of changes made for Handicapped Students there. Long story, but I had lots of friends from Ethiopia, Sudan, Nigeria & several other African Countries. They wore original dress from their home countries on occasions & this quilt takes me back to that time. Thanks for posting it. Of course enter it in a Show. If you send it out to a long arm quilter, they can make suggestions on how to quilt it that will really bring out the designs. I can't believe you've only been quilting a year. Can't wait to see this with the back finished & it quilted. Thanks again & good luck on winning awards with it.
Old 02-12-2010, 08:06 PM

Gorgeous!!

I would stick to a very simple quilting design. Nothing you do will show much since the fabrics are so vibrant. I love how you used a large piece of the masks fabrics for the center.

To answer to your previous coment, nothing can make this quilt look uggly. Just practice first on a separate square and go for it.
Old 02-12-2010, 08:51 PM

I have a friend who is from South Africa and I made this for her. I am in love with this quilt and am having a hard time trying to let it go before I give it to her. I am going to put a hanger on the back so she could use it either way. Hopefully she will hang it to perserve it longer. It is only a 72 1/2 square.
I am still deceiding on the back on how I want it to look. I want it to complament the front and not out do it. I was thinking (look at the pic of the material for the back) of doing a squares in squares and alter the material or triangles. What do you think? I only have the 2 materials for the back, neither one is big enough alone.
Old 02-12-2010, 09:05 PM

I like the idea of a sq in a sq. I'd suggest taking a paper & drawing the two fabrics like the pattern for the top, on point, & work the two fabrics alternating out to the border. Which fabric will you use for a border, or haven't you decided? You're going to have a great quilt to gift your friend.
Old 02-13-2010, 01:50 AM

Wow its beautiful and bright. lovely
Old 02-13-2010, 05:12 AM

Originally Posted by janRN
Wow and wow again-absolutely stunning!!
Ditto :thumbup:
Old 02-13-2010, 05:15 AM

Stunning quilt...great job
Old 02-13-2010, 05:40 AM

Originally Posted by Sheila Elaine
I like the idea of a sq in a sq. I'd suggest taking a paper & drawing the two fabrics like the pattern for the top, on point, & work the two fabrics alternating out to the border. Which fabric will you use for a border, or haven't you decided? You're going to have a great quilt to gift your friend.
I am thinking I will go ith the square thing and I was thinking of using the material with the diamonds shapes on it for the boarder.
Old 02-13-2010, 10:48 AM

One with diamonds would look great (tie colors together). You have your thinking cap on & it's gonna be a wonderful quilt.