Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Pictures
Another Moda+Missouri Star >

Another Moda+Missouri Star

Another Moda+Missouri Star

Old 09-23-2021, 02:02 PM

Default Another Moda+Missouri Star

Hi Quilters! This is the second half of the layer cake Moda’s Apple Jack that tallchick passed on to me. The red dot was from my stash. The pattern is from You Tube video of Missouri Star Quilt by Jenny Doan called Charms on Point. I wanted it to fit my WOF so I just put a 3 inch outer border. It finished 41 inch square.
The first picture shows how I WAS going to piece it. I felt like I needed something quick and easy. I didn’t know at the time why I felt like I did but I was coming down with Shingles😩 After I laid the half layer cake strips on floor, feeling bad, I took a nap.
When I awoke I grabbed the pieces up and cut them all in half to make my charms for this Charms on Point. After recharging myself I thought I needed to exert a little more effort-lol- Easy is an understatement about this pattern though. The second photo shows the process before the finish. If you look you can see I put all the same fabrics where I would be cutting diagonally.
The only drawback is you do lose your points on the outer half squares when you add your borders or binding.
Thanks to tallchick two more children will benefit by receiving these two quilts.
Attached Thumbnails 80bc4eba-7824-4086-875a-f77080a0da0d.jpeg   d834957b-d03c-48a3-95dd-0af0f34daa95.jpeg   eec77527-e1fd-4694-8931-80a2e29dbe77.jpeg  
Old 09-23-2021, 03:46 PM
Power Poster

Cute tops! I can sympathize with the shingles. I had them last summer with lingering nerve pain. I had a mild recurrence this fall but no nerve pain, thank goodness. Hope your bout is over quickly!
Old 09-24-2021, 02:14 AM

I always say that every quilt has a story. I enjoyed reading about how you came to your final quilt design. It was so nice of tall chick to donate the fabric to you. I like the way you added the same fabrics along the sides and the polka dot border was the icing on the cake! Thank you for sharing your story and picture with us. This quilt is sure to be loved by a lucky child.
Old 09-24-2021, 03:40 AM

Just watched the tutorial and am sitting here thinking.... that was magic! How did Jenny or someone on her team figure that out!. You are right, it looks like the top would go together so easily and quickly. Moved to my "to do " list. A good pattern for a donation quilt. Could you imagine the pattern using squares of other sizes? Whoo Hoo!
Old 09-24-2021, 04:25 AM

So sorry too hear about your bout with shingles. I had them years ago in a horse shoe shape on one thigh...at least that is what the doctor said they were. I still have my doubts! Your quilts are cute and a little child will love getting either one of them. Thanks for all you do for others!
Old 09-26-2021, 10:49 AM

Nicely done!
Old 09-28-2021, 01:27 PM
Power Poster

It turned out beautifully.