Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: Auction Finds!

We went to an auction yesterday with our dear neighbors - the auction bill only listed a sewing machine in cabinet, but we thought we'd go check it out anyway since my neighbor lady and I both quilt. After all, you never know, right?

Turns out that this was an estate sale; the gentleman was into woodworking in a big way (so is DH), loved tools (as does my neighbor guy) and his wife had only been quilting for about 40 years.... :shock: :shock:

Below is a picture of what I bought; my neighbor lady bought just as much. We have about 5 years of at least 3 different quilting magazines (mid 80's to mid 90's), templates galore, 2 tubs of fabrics, and the absolute jewel that is in the tall cardboard box - full size, mapped out quilting patterns and applique patterns on freezer paper and they are *huge* (at least 24" blocks - I haven't measured yet for sure.) I didn't bid on the Janome Memorycraft 4000 or the Babylock serger (it wasn't the jet air threaded, it was an older one) because DH would probably tan my hide if I brought more sewing machines home.

The best part was that I got to visit with this couple's son, really got to find out about his Mom and her quilting - and got to reassure him that her treasures were going to 2 quilters who were honored to have them.

I think I have my work cut out for me :shock: :D

I have no clue where to start organizing all this at the moment!
    Name:  Attachment-45602.jpe
Views: 37
Size:  31.6 KB

:shock: :shock: Oh, my roben, what treasures you have found!!
    I am :mrgreen: :mrgreen: here!

It always touches my heart to know that another quilter's treasurers go to another quilter to treasurer.

Jackpot! I love when a quilter's stash goes to a quilter too! Very neat!

These were hard to get pictures of, but here they are anyway :-) Here's an example of the full size applique patterns on freezer paper and the quilting patterns. There are rolls and rolls of these in that box; at the end of the auction, they were left on one of the trailers as junk :shock: :shock: We quickly paired the box up with the Polyester batting, offered the auctioneer a dollar and scurried our treasures home :lol:

Applique pattern pages - they cover my cutting mat pretty well!
    Name:  Attachment-46667.jpe
Views: 39
Size:  22.2 KB

These quilting patterns were originally multiple pages; now they are all taped together and rolled with the Applique patterns.
    Name:  Attachment-46689.jpe
Views: 38
Size:  18.5 KB

Wow!!!!!! That is certainly a wonderful treasure trove! It is so great that the quilters jewels went to another quilter. I can just imagine the beautiful blocks that can be made with those already traced appliques!!!!!!!!!!!

Great bargins.

so glad these things found a good home!

That's really great that you and your friend found such great treasures. And I really like the fact that you let her son know about how his mother's treasures were being passed on to someone who would truly appreciate them. I can just imagine how difficult it is for someone to see their loved one's life parted up at an auction like this, but you took the time to make that a little more bareable for them. :thumbup:

Oh my goodness -- you really did good! :D

I'm green with envy too.. but are you sure that the first pattern is an applique pattern and not another quilting pattern? That would be an amazing pattern for a whole cloth quilt!!

Quote Originally Posted by Tippy
    I'm green with envy too.. but are you sure that the first pattern is an applique pattern and not another quilting pattern? That would be an amazing pattern for a whole cloth quilt!!
    I was thinking the same thing! What a great whole cloth design that would make.

Well, now, I have just drooled all over my keyboard! :lol: :lol: :lol:

Lucky Lady! That looks like hours of fun you have found there to play with. :D I have those fabric weights too. They are really nice for knits.

What treasures you found! I'm sure you made the son feel better about selling his Mom's things!

What great finds, have fun with your new treasures

I'm certain that the large block drawings were for a Baltimore Album quilt; I've matched 3 of the quilting design sheets to 3 of those blocks! Either the rest got separated from this box (totally possible) or she planned to go a different route with her quilt, since I have different album blocks from the rest of the quilting design sheets. There are 21 different block sheets.

Hmmm. The quilting design sheets were printed, but with no identifying or copyright info :cry: Looks like I have some homework to do; I don't know offhand of anyone who published quilting sheets for Baltimore Album quilts.

Hi Ho, Hi Ho - it's off to school I go!

Banned
    Blog Entries
    What a find! Congratulations!!

Blog Entries
    Wow!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Roben
    I'm certain that the large block drawings were for a Baltimore Album quilt; I've matched 3 of the quilting design sheets to 3 of those blocks! Either the rest got separated from this box (totally possible) or she planned to go a different route with her quilt, since I have different album blocks from the rest of the quilting design sheets. There are 21 different block sheets.

Hmmm. The quilting design sheets were printed, but with no identifying or copyright info :cry: Looks like I have some homework to do; I don't know offhand of anyone who published quilting sheets for Baltimore Album quilts.

Hi Ho, Hi Ho - it's off to school I go!
    Please keep us updated on what you find!!
    I love things like this!!

Blog Entries
    WOW!!! :D :D :D How nice of you to reassure her son that he found a good home for Mom's stash items!!! 8)

What wonderful buys. Have fun with your new treasures.

Banned
    wow! did you score big time or what? way cool kiddo :thumbup: :thumbup:

Ah Roben!
    Send it all to me. I'll organize it for you!

What a haul!!

Nice, lucky you